IGNORED

A Few Questions - Membership price, tee selection

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Play from the white tees. The red tees are the women's tees. ("Not that there's anything wrong with that!")

Not so.

In fact, many courses use gold for the forward tees. I've even played courses with 2 sets of white tees... which makes it doubly confusing. Some call the short tees senior tees or junior tees, but forward is the correct term. The key is to pick the tees that you feel most comfortable playing, and don't let anyone shame you into moving back until you're ready for it. Golf is supposed to be fun, and playing from longer tees than your game will support isn't usually fun, just frustrating.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf for you - no one else. If the red is where you want to be then be there. I hate it when other golfers seem to think it is their place to correct you on your game. It is one thing if a guy isn't replacing divots or driving a cart over the green - that affects everyone but say a guy takes a mulligan or uses the foot wedge to improve his lie - who cares?

I have seen people talk to others about it and it bothers me. Seriously - some guy went up to another 4some to tell a guy that the foot wedge isn't part of his game and shouldn't be used. WTF? Let the guy golf the way he wants.

You paid your green's fees, use them as you see fit as long as you aren't damaging someone else's game or the course.

Andrew

Not so.

Yep...I'm with Fourputt on this one. There have been many times my kid has moved up to the forward tees to practice with his irons and he has a 1.6 handicap. I see no reason to move back until you are confident in "your" game.

Good luck!

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

If you dont mind me asking... What course are you paying 40 bucks for? What town is it in? I would like to take a look at it... I pay more than 40 dollars for twillight rates.

My local course is $200 per month and that doesn't include the one time signup fee of $500. So you're getting a great deal.

As far as tee selection, I would go with the whites. Even if you don't drive it far, it will help you in the longrun.

If you dont mind me asking... What course are you paying 40 bucks for? What town is it in? I would like to take a look at it... I pay more than 40 dollars for twillight rates.

It's a student membership. I go to Georgia Southern University, hence the username. I'm not sure the adult non-student rate. Smithfield Golf Club, but you may find it online as the old name "Eagle Creek Golf Course"

That is great! If you want to make a BIG improvement, work on chipping and putting. That is the easiest and fastest way to shave strokes.

Drive for show and putt for dough, baby!

What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

Overall course distance between tees when moving back definitely changes the game. Not only are the holes longer but often times they are offset or more enclosed creating completely different challenges, even if the yardage is "close". For me every 10-15 yards means a different club. How good is my longer iron game taking into account what distances I will be facing on my _second_ shot is what I always ask myself when deciding which tees to play from. Also, my rule of thumb has been each 50 yards difference between a set of tees equates into an extra stroke. Thus 500 yards overall further back means I likely will be shooting 10 more strokes than I would from a more forward set of tees. The game is hard enough from any set of tees. Don't make it any more difficult than you have to. 95% of the time I play from whites or Men's tees. If more were candid with their game they would likely be playing more appropriate tees and also having more fun. However, if one must play from the Championship, Tournament or Tips tees have at it. Just keep up with the group in front.

I think you’re getting a great price, doesn’t matter what. When you get better you can go and pay $100 for a course, but it’s not really worth it to start with, I believe.

And don't feel embarrassed by laying form the Red-Tees. As long as you’re having fun in the course it doesn’t matter. For example, Bill Amick’s (Architect from the ASGCA) idea has always been to shorten up holes to make it “enjoyable” for beginner golfers (by getting a closer “beginners” or “junior” set of tees).

Just have fun. The moment you start worrying too much about your score or distance, you stop enjoying the game and it doesn’t make sense any longer.

Cheers..

• 4 weeks later...
That sounds like a great deal. When I play short courses I set them up to play harder. Sometimes 9 irons off par 4's if I want to work on long shots. Fact is if you can consistently hit your shots how you want them, you can play any course as long as you know where to hit them (course knowledge).

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I finally joined a local course today. It's $40 a month for students, and we pay cart fees unless we walk (no weekend walking). The course is very walkable, and I have walked 9 twice this week with no problems (except the 200% GA humidity). Because of this, I wont be paying cart fees unless my girlfriend tags along or I play weekends.

Your girlfriend can't walk 2,550 yards?

Better leave her home on her respirator ;)
Did I get ripped or is that a pretty decent deal?

A muni pass in Columbus is around 8 bills and we have a shorter season.

That's a heck of a deal.
I've been playing from the short tees (5100 yards). Is this where most beginners start or should I be playing from farther back?

Stay on the whites for a while.

Shoot some numbers you like before you move back. Playing the tips if you already shoot around a hundred is hazardous to your golf mental health.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

My first post disapeared so I thought I would repost.
Sorrry if this is a thread hijack but when do you know it is time to move to a tee further back?
Driver Super Quad 10.5
3 Woodhibore xl
irons3-pw AP2
Wedges52 and 56 SV
PutterFuturaBall330-s

I wouldn't worry about playing from the red tees. Just move back when you are comfortable. At my course, there are three sets of tees that vary from 5800 to 6800 yards and I play aall three. It's good to get different looks and mix it up a bit so you don't get used to playing a hole the same way every time.

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!