IGNORED

USGA decides to go to 8 inch holes!

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you support going to 8 inch holes?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Undecided.

If they want to change anything...make the dang things less deep so us old geezers don't have to bend down so far to get our balls.

On that, we can certainly agree!

That's like changing the basketball hoop to 12 feet, or making a football field 110 yards. All previous records would be meaningless.

With each bit of new technology, we are slowly rendering records meaningless anyway.

As far as comparing it to other sports, that is addressed in the article. Again, I don't want to get in trouble for giving too much away, but the "goal" in golf, is 2500 times smaller (by comparison) then the next closest sport. So comparing it to other sports doesn't really work.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

• Administrator
With each bit of new technology, we are slowly rendering records meaningless anyway.

No we aren't. Small changes have been made to equipment, to golf courses, etc. in the past. Records still stand.

The size of the hole is a FAR more fundamental to the game of golf (and its records) than adding 200 yards to a golf course, putting in a new bunker, graphite shafts, etc.
As far as comparing it to other sports, that is addressed in the article. Again, I don't want to get in trouble for giving too much away, but the "goal" in golf, is 2500 times smaller (by comparison) then the next closest sport. So comparing it to other sports doesn't really work.

No, your counter-claim falls apart because the other sports don't give guys three, four, or five attempts to get it in the "goal." You can't argue it based on the "area" that it takes up (especially if you fail to neglect the size of the ball). Instead, you've got to decide whether it's a fundamental change to the game, and given that I think that suggesting that changing the hole size in golf is like changing the basket size (for example) or height in basketball holds up pretty well - both would be a fundamental change to the game (or "a change to one of the fundamental aspects of the game" if you prefer to think of it that way).

Equipment changes haven't been fundamental changes to the game (with the possible exception of long putters, which is why I oppose their existence). I read the article, and I didn't find it compelling or even mildly convincing. It was laughable, and aside from the little bit about pipes serving as the basis for the standard hole size, served almost no real purpose. A larger hole will speed up play? In the words of Borat: Not! And even the poll results they included in their loaded question ("Assuming a wider hole would speed up play, would you support such an adjustment?") was vastly in favor of "NO:" 83.4% to 16.6%. I think the number would be even more skewed if they eliminated the silly "assuming it'd speed up play" garbage from the question.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, your counter-claim falls apart because the other sports don't give guys three, four, or five attempts to get it in the "goal."

Actually, that was part of it. He mentions that the hole is so small that your iron shots don't really have a chance to get in. Sure guys get lucky from time to time, but your only real chance to hit the hole is with a putt.

I'm not sure how much more often guys could hit the hole with their iron shots at 8 inches, but (IMO) that is a very valid reason to open the holes up.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Have courses designed or maintained to be more player friendly. Make the average course so that the average player can actually play it.

Slow play would get worse if you make the course easier because more people would play instead of getting frustrated and quitting golf altogether.

Again, I don't want to get in trouble for giving too much away, but the "goal" in golf, is 2500 times smaller (by comparison) then the next closest sport. So comparing it to other sports doesn't really work.

What is the next close sport and I don't think it is the size of the goal that is as important as the ratio between ball/puck and hole/goal.

In The Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha 460
3 & 5 Wood: F50.
Irons: 855S Silver Scot 3-SW.
Wedge: S2H2 60*Putter Anser 2i

my family has a few hundred acres on lake champlain in vermont and we play a game there called "crolf" with par 3's and 4's in which the object of the game is to hit a cedar stake about 5' high and 3" wide. its called crolf cuz when in the area of the flag, you switch from a golf ball to a croquet ball and try to hit the stake. there have actually been pole-in-one's in which the tee shot hit the stake and hence, play on hole is a score of 1. not the 8' hole but still, not the craziness of slick greens and small hole.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

no way that would take the challenge out of those four footers for par

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

I think pretty much everyone of us doesn't want it to happen. But what do you think the actuall chance of it happening is? My honest thoughts is it won't every. I think the game will always be changed to make it more difficult and easier.

Driver- launcher 460 9.5
Irons- 7a knock offs
putter- Scotty cameron futura
ball- Prov 1x

Communism was a good idea, too.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

very funny

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

No, it's to easy already.

haha jk....

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end."

Started playing - April 25th, 2008

In my bag: FT-5 Neutral Driver 9° 990B Irons Rifle Flighted Shafts (3-PW) Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Midslant Vokey wedges 252*08,256*12 and 260*04 PROV1xSequoyah National - A Robert Trent...

How could you compare history? lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

very funny

Actually, Ideologically communism is a very good idea, the only reason it didn't work is because it was forced upon a corrupt society and the changes were pushed through too quickly, if Lenin had remained patient and him and the Bolsheviks allowed communism too develop slowly and grow through different generations then communism could right now still be in force in Russia. Although that is highly unlikely as countries such as England, France, Germany and America etc etc were all extremely scared of communism and as a result would of gone out of their way to end the 'commy' rule of Russia.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

yeah, the point is that communism is good in theory, but not in real life most of the time

but, back on topic......if the hole was bigger, making a 20 foot putt wouldn't feel as good beacause you would do it more often

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Add to to the "This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard" group.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I think pretty much everyone of us doesn't want it to happen. But what do you think the actuall chance of it happening is? My honest thoughts is it won't every. I think the game will always be changed to make it more difficult and easier.

Yeah.... the odds of any significant change to the size of the hole is effectively zero.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My vote is NOOOOOO!

Putting is my most favorite part of golf and I wouldn't want to change it for the world!!! It's funny tho, yesterday night when I was catching up on the final round of the Stanford St. Jude, I saw someone (I forget who) miss a short par putt and then annoyingly tap it in for bogey. He wasn't paying attention and dropped the ball as he was fishing it out of the hole. I know we've seen this happen all the time (it happens to me too sometimes) but if I were to incorporate a stupid rule it would be a stroke penalty for dropping your ball when fishing it out of the hole and the ball cannot touch the ground until you get to the next tee box. No questions asked! Now on to my responses to some of the replies in this thread.
...No, your counter-claim falls apart because the other sports don't give guys three, four, or five attempts to get it in the "goal." ...

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. Unless you're that guy at my course trying to ace the 600 yd Par 5.

I see definite similarities between golf and other sports. For example - basketball. Sure one man could conceivably take over the game like Jordan did in his day, but the great teams always won with chemistry (which Jordan's Bulls had anyway). Whether it takes 1 pass or 5 extra passes to get the highest percentage shot, the great championship teams always exhibited the perfect balance of ball movement when the opposition presents its defense. You can look at the defense of a team as a particular type of hole too. Heck, you could even use hockey in this example (and I hate hockey). Whether you go for the green in two (like a 3 pointer at the buzzer) or you lay up for a chance at birdie (running the clock out and finding someone open for a simple layup) is your style of course management.
...I was watching a local show today on a Colorado course that I wouldn't even want to step up to the 1st tee on. Every hole had OB on one side and water on the other (or water on both sides), and at least 6 or 7 bunkers on every hole. The fairways looked as narrow as US Open fairways. Any average golfer would shoot a bout 120+ and take 6 hours to do so there. Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think there is any golf course I WOULDN'T want to tee off on. I hope I'm not the only one on this forum that feels this way! :)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!