IGNORED

Do I have to be parallel at the top?

Maverick
Note: This thread is 5942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get across parallel at the top of your backswing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only with certain clubs

Lately I've decided to shorten the backswing to 30-35 deg. short of parallel at the top. I noticed that I have a greater sense of timing at the top (ability to hold off and pause just a bit) and I can get set before I come down. I've also noticed my driving accuray (fw's hit) is much better. I don't think I've lost that much in distance either. So with all this in mind it seems like the better way to play..just that it might not look too pretty..

My question is is everyone parallel at the top?

Of course, not. More than a few players on the Champion's Tour have shortened swings and have no trouble bombing it 290 and beyond.

I've even noticed some PGA players who are normally parallel at the top off the tee shorten up on their mid and long irons if they want more control. You've found something that works and more (as in a LOT more) weekend hackers would do well to follow your lead.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

• Administrator

I get to right around there, but I don't go past it.

Why not add a poll?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wish I could, I'm trying... but being fat and out of shape reduces the flexibilty... I'd say in 3 out of 10 swings I manage to turn that far, but it hurts like hell

what I really noticed is that eveything seemed more one piece.. you know..there was just less arms, elbows, etc. moving around..it may not be pretty but I'll try it for now. I noticed that Tiger also doesn't go all the way to parallel..or am I wrong here..not that I'm comparing myself to him..lol

After looking at the video Erik took of me in NC, I can say with all authority I don't get to parallel at the top... neither with the woods or the irons. I seem to have plenty of distance when I'm striking the ball well so I'm not too concerned with it.

It is well known that getting to parallel isn't too important, as long as your swing fundamentals are good. I find that reaching out there for that extra little bit to parallel throws my swing way off so I don't even mess with it. I remember an old guy at a local golf retail shop saying, "Well, you're ready for golf in your sixties." Ha, ha... very funny.

Then I slapped him.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I May be able to say this because I am 19, and play many other sports, but i get to parellel and sometimes with my driver i can pull back a little farther and get a lil past parellel and get a lil something extra, I think it's all a matter of what works for u, I used to have a quick swing with a strong grip that resulted in many quick blocks, and i have a more neutral grip with my lighter pressure, and i just focus on making a full turn to the top. It was resulted in much more consitent ball-striking.

What's in the bag

Driver:Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3 Tour-Aldila Nvs
3-wood:Callway Big Bertha-Aldila nv shaft
Hybrid:Callway Heavenwood 2h and 3hIrons:Titleist 735 cm 4-pwWedges:Cleveland Cg10 54 and 60Putter:Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball:Callaway Hx tour 56Bag:Ping J bag..Red...

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely not.

Plenty of guys have made their living short of parallel. I've shortened my swing in the past couple years...especially with the irons. I have better control of my swing and distances now without a loss in power.

Personally, I think most would benefit by cutting their swing down to about 80-90% of what they are at now.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I have made a real effort at reducing my backswing lately. It's a big improvement in terms of accuracy when things go right. But I also notice a tendency to push the ball right. Possibly a timing issue but I'm not sure.

I am sticking with it. I feel it is helping my game by reducing my backswing.

• Administrator
I have made a real effort at reducing my backswing lately. It's a big improvement in terms of accuracy when things go right. But I also notice a tendency to push the ball right. Possibly a timing issue but I'm not sure.

There's a difference between getting to the top (or not) and pausing at the top (or not). The best ballstrikers I've ever seen do both: stop just short of parallel and have a noticeable pause at the top.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My last trip to the pro he told me to try NOT to go parallel with my driver. I went to about 90%, hit it just as far and increased accuracy.

Irons are another story. Depends on if I'm trying to kill it, full swing, 80% or what...

• 2 weeks later...
I think most are in agreement that getting to parallel isn't important. I don't get to parallel....I used to, but have changed over the years. I feel that those that go past parallel are adding useless motion to the swing that can only complicate things.

For some people it works...John Daly for instance, but he is flexible beyond normal. No man of his size should even get close to being able to bring the club back that far. Tiger has shortened his backswing since his debut on Tour.

I think short and compact allows you to keep track of things much easier and eliminate extra movement during the swing. That's what I try to focus on at least.

I did the same thing. when i start to notice my swing gettin extra long, the ball can go anywhere. When you shorten your swing (thus being pretty much parallel at teh top,your going to have a lot more control of where the ball goes. when u are shorter, its easier to just drop ur hands into the slot, and rip it!

• Administrator
I did the same thing. when i start to notice my swing gettin extra long, the ball can go anywhere. When you shorten your swing (thus being pretty much parallel at teh top,your going to have a lot more control of where the ball goes. when u are shorter, its easier to just drop ur hands into the slot, and rip it!

Another way of putting the whole "shorter != loss of distance" thing is that the pause at the top (with the shaft, not necessarily the shoulders or hips) has the same effect on timing and thus the timed release of power as "going extra long" does while having the benefit of better control.

I don't even come close to parallel and never have. I must not be flexible enough to do so because I've tried and it hurts my body. And I'm only 23 for crying out loud!

My swing resemble's Zach Johnson's more than anyone else on the PGA Tour. He goes back about as far as I do, which isn't much when comparing to the majority who play. I know mine is much shorter than anyone else I play with on a regular basis.

I'm not sure if my distance would be better if I could go back a little farther, but it sure wouldn't hurt matters any. It's kinda frustrating not being able to go back at least a little farther.

The years - 35 of them - and the lack of exercise over the past 4 years dictate my swing that is about as far away from parallel as it can be Well, I get it paraller, but only at about 9 o'clock :) If I ever did get parallel I would imagine my next stop would be ther emergency room.

Anywho, I can say I envy people with the great looking swings, and I think most will agree that a parallel backswing is key to that. But like others have said, those folks on the Champions tour and even a few PGA or Nationwide players don't even come close. So obviously the answer is 'no', its not a golfing requirement.

Still, that is where I want to be, or closer to there at least, so I will keep on stretching and keep looking for tips on exercises to help my flexibility (and tips or links would be great!).

• 1 month later...
Right now, the top of my backswing is a high priority of mine. I'm trying to have it look like Sergio's or Vijay's top of the backswing. It's low, down the target line, and it's hard to go past parallel. I've lost like 5-10 yards but I'm constantly in the fairway or 1st cut.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher Comp 9.5 stiff
Fairway Wood: 2006 Cleveland Launcher Steel FW 15 Stiff
Hybrid: Cleveland Halo graphite stiff
Irons: Titleist 704.CB 3-PW Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Ping G5i Craz-EBall: Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...
I can't turn like I did when I was 25 (I'm 35 now), and I don't get quite to parallel anymore, but I've compensated by relaxing the left arm a little bit and allowing for a little bend at the top of my swing. I find that as long as I keep my left wrist straight and right elbow pointing down at the top, I can bend the elbow a little and still make square contact without sacrificing too much distance.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Note: This thread is 5942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!