IGNORED

ESPN please get rid of...

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 5810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone else find the live scoring tool bar annoying as hell. I dont need to see the top 15 scoring leaders over 5 straight hours of coverage. I wanna see an update on all players in the field, maybe every half hour.

I have nothing against Curtis Strange as a player, but his heavy southern accent isnt suited for broadcasting, and stating things i already know 6 or 7 times in row.. like "Remember, Phil Mickelson is using a 3 wood bent like a 2 wood instead of driver" or "Remember its a US open, you have to find the fairway" or "Remember, the rough is longer because its a US open" can get really annoying. After watching him cover 3 hours i was releaved to hear Gary Koch's voice.. Curtis Strange makes him sound like a Genius.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Anyone else find the live scoring tool bar annoying as hell. I dont need to see the top 15 scoring leaders over 5 straight hours of coverage. I wanna see an update on all players in the field, maybe every half hour.

I'm not an overly huge fan of Curtis Strange, but you're slamming him for his "heavy" southern accent?? Come on. I guess you'd rather listen to Faldo laugh at himself all day saying things that are only funny to himself with his own "heavy" accent? What is the correct accent 'eh?

Anyway, I agree about the explaining things over and over thing. But you have to remember, they have to cater to the average guy that might not know it all. They already know we are going to watch no matter what. But I think that they do that, so the avg channel flipper might catch on.

Took a while to get used to the toolbar - It's pretty much there for the Tiger & Phil (only) fans which ESPN is trying to promote (hence the "ultimate 3-ball").

I quite like it in real time - Westwood holes a birdie putt, the ticker changes instantly. You see the score he was, is and new and old position.

As for Mr. Strange - I don't envy you. A great champion though. We have Butch Harmon, Peter Oosterhuas and Ewan Murray - 3 of the best commentators out there.

Still have the ESPN pictures though....it's the Tiger and Phil show.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

• Administrator
I have nothing against Curtis Strange as a player, but his heavy southern accent isnt suited for broadcasting, and stating things i already know 6 or 7 times in row.. like "Remember, Phil Mickelson is using a 3 wood bent like a 2 wood instead of driver" or "Remember its a US open, you have to find the fairway" or "Remember, the rough is longer because its a US open" can get really annoying. After watching him cover 3 hours i was releaved to hear Gary Koch's voice.. Curtis Strange makes him sound like a Genius.

Not everyone knows these things. They were just talking in the post-game show about Saturday's coverage, and they said that "we have to be careful as announcers, because more people who aren't necessarily golfers will watch, and they won't know what "Q-School" is and things like that." It's true.

I didn't find Curtis to be overly annoying. He didn't repeat the things you listed too frequently, and most of the times he might have said "you have to find the fairway" he was being critical of Phil. I'll take Curtis over Gary any day. You want to complain about repetition and yet you like Gary Koch? All I can think of when I think of Gary Koch is a whiny voice repeating "will it stay...? will it staayyy..??? will it staaaaayyyyy????"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My problem with Curtis Strange is that he is stuck in the past. On Thursday, when someone hit a ball deep into the trees, he commented (this is all paraphrased from my memory), "I can't believe someone could hit a ball that far off line." Another talking head pointed out, "Well, their trying to hit the ball as far as they can, and that will happen," to which Curtis replied, "But how can they mishit a ball that badly?" The talking head replied, "It's the game they play today." Curtis sadly whispered, "I know..."

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

I thought ESPN was fine. At first I thought the scoring ticker was a bit weird with the group scoring then top 15 scoring but that was easy to get used to. Strange is OK, I'll agree he isn't the greatest announcer but I actually liked listenening to him. I guess I just needed a break from Nick Faldo. Now as far as Chris Berman....

Honestly I think ESPN is getting bashed a bit too much on here. They really weren't that bad. One thing I was confused on is Phil's 3 wood. Is it bent strong or not? I thought Phil said it was is "regular" 3 wood loft but Andy North I think was talking about it being bent to an 11 wood.
I'm not an overly huge fan of Curtis Strange, but you're slamming him for his "heavy" southern accent?? Come on. I guess you'd rather listen to Faldo laugh at himself all day saying things that are only funny to himself with his own "heavy" accent? What is the correct accent 'eh?

lol. good call.

All I can think of when I think of Gary Koch is a whiny voice repeating "will it stay...? will it staayyy..??? will it staaaaayyyyy????"

Wasn't he the "better than most" guy too? That's all I can think about when it comes to him.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Get rid of that dumb leaderbar at the top, and Chris Berman and they are set! I don't really like Karl Ravech for golf either.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I actually enjoyed the leaderboard scrolling across the top. When they showed a particular golfer hitting their shot/putt, they flashed the scores of the entire group across the top. I enjoyed seeing that because it was easier to keep up with the entire field that way. I definitely found myself looking at it quite a bit.

As for Curtis Strange, he was definitely better than some. I never had a problem with him in the past, and I still don't. Hell, Chris Berman wasn't even too bad because he wasn't on very much. The only ESPN guy that seemed lost was Karl Ravech, but he doesn't cover golf much. It really wasn't his fault they stuck him out on the West Coast for the U.S. Open. He is a baseball guy.

Overall, the coverage has been pretty solid so far. The U.S. Open Extra stuff was pretty boring, but at least we got those extra two hours per day. I won't complain much about extra golf.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The tool bar was annoying at first but I got used to it. I actually liked hearing Strange again after being off the air for a while.

As for Chris Berman, they have to get him off golf telecasts. He was the one thing that had me reaching for fast forward on the DVR remote.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I actually didn't mind the scroll bar in their coverage. I guess I liked how it would show how all three golfers in the groups were doing when covering specific groups but yeah I did miss the big overall leaderboard. And I don't know what you guys are talking about, Chris Berman is a GREAT golf announcer. Where else would you get to listen to an overrated hype machine apply worn out cliches to a sport he probably rarely plays and watches even less. It was almost as enjoyable as listening to Jim Brown call the NCAA Tournament a few years ago (if anyone remembers that...).

Yeah, the Berman part was sarcasm, if you couldn't tell.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

I'll take Curtis over Gary any day. You want to complain about repetition and yet you like Gary Koch? All I can think of when I think of Gary Koch is a whiny voice repeating "will it stay...? will it staayyy..??? will it staaaaayyyyy????"

I find Gary Koch's continual repetition of the same phrases over and over again very annoying too. Add to that most of what he says is pointless babble that has no significance in the first place. I've found all of the announcers to be of poor quality this week, but by far Koch is the worst.

ESPN also has done a poor job in their choosing of what to show from a video standpoint. For example Appleby was leading most of Friday and as far as I recall they didn't show him hit a tee shot on any of the par 4s or 5s until the final hole. Instead they waste time showing Woods picking his nose, and doing other things that have no relation to golf (when they could have been showing golf shots instead).

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

The live scoring tool is so people who just tune into the channel can find the scores and if they are in a rush they can see where everyone is at and then do whatever it is they have to do. I aggre it's annoying but gotta remember there's others who may have to run out the door though they really just wanna watch to. There basically just thinking of them for the most part.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

Man I hate that thing, as soon as i Turned on ESPN I said "get that fricken thing off the T.V" and then occasionally they have that little extra drop down bar that comes down even further when it says "For Birdie" or something.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Strange is OK, I have no preference. Berman, meanwhile, is the Legend of Bristol, so they're going to let him do what he wants.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Not everyone knows these things. They were just talking in the post-game show about Saturday's coverage, and they said that "we have to be careful as announcers, because more people who aren't necessarily golfers will watch, and they won't know what "Q-School" is and things like that." It's true.

I never said i like Gary Koch, I was just comparing 2 awful announcers. It comes down to preference really. In majors you really get to hear Gary Koch's genius at work because of all the shelves and runs offs. "Dotty.. will it stayyyyyy... no, no it wont." I know its annoying as hell but IMO Curtis Strange was the more annoying of the 2.

I agree with everyone else that Chris Berman has to go aswell.. he sounds like George Carlin. In last months Maxim, there was an artical on the top 10 worst sports announcers of all time.. Chris Berman managed pull out the #1 spot, not that that mag has any relevance, but its still funny. And say what you want about the tool bar, it takes up 1/8 of my 32" LCD screen. Thats 1/8 less full HD golf i get to see. Have it pop every 20 minutes but not for a full 6 hour broadcast.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Give me Jim Nantz and Nick Faldo in the tower, and Feherty walking the course, and I'd be in heaven.

Any comments on Peter Jacobsen? I don't even remember much of what he had to say, which can't be good.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Any comments on Peter Jacobsen? I don't even remember much of what he had to say, which can't be good.

I don't recall seeing a lot of him. He and Strange were recapping some early play but I don't remember much else.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 5810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!