IGNORED

How to improve back flexibility

Note: This thread is 5816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,
I’ve just had a couple of lesions and been told that my swing was too flat. The Pro gave me some drills to work on to improve this, and I do feel that I’m getting much better. One thing I have noticed though is that I’m now using a whole new set of muscles down the right side of my body. I used to think I had pretty good flexibility, but it turns out I was just swinging poorly which meant I didn’t need to be that flexible. What I’m really after is a couple of stretches to loosen up my back, and give allow me to make a full rotation. Does anyone know any good ones?
Cheers

I'd say 90% of the amateurs out there lack the proper flexibility for golf or if they have it, they don't use it. If you watch many tour pros like Couples, Tiger, Adam Scott, etc...they have at least 120 degrees of shoulder turn whereas the average amateur is usually only around 90 degrees of shoulder turn. The biggest problem that golfers struggle from flexibility wise, regardless if they are a high handicapper or a tour pro, is in the hips. In other words, you're likely not flexible enough at this point to play golf at a high level, but that's pretty common.

I advise yoga in general, but particularly for golf. But you can also just google up stretching exercises as a good place to start.

3JACK

I dont see enough golfers stretch before they play. I do some simple stretches to get loose before i play a round, nothing too fancy. I do the touch your toes stretch for a minute in three reps of 12 seconds or so. I feel a tug in my hammies and back when i do this. Might be a good pre-round one for you. A simple quad stretch and calf stretch, then I do an indian sit stretch to loosen up my groin and hips. Then I take a club in my hands and put behind the small of my back and push up to my shoulders as far as i can without it getting uncomfortable, this really stretches out my shoulders and chest. ( ill do that one perhaps 2 or three times durning the round as well) Whole thing takes about 10 minutes. Then im off!
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

workout routine

Perform the stretches I have listed
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

I just picked up Golf rx by Vijay Vad, seems to be some good stretches in there, I haven't really seen marked improvement, but haven't been doing them for very long. I can definately feel the stretch in a few areas I am not used to feeling though.

http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Rx-15-Min...3893289&sr;=8-2

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Baffler Rail H 17 & 22 Fujikura Motore S

S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Studio Style Newport 1.5

The golf/yoga DVD's sound like a good idea. I've been thinking of picking one up myself.

I also use a pilates ball--one of the giant ones you see the hot workout chics rolling around on! So, maybe a pilates dvd, ball, and a hot chic! That'd get me loosened up.

http://www.mytpi.com/

Sign up for a free account and check out all the stretching and mobility videos. Great stuff.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Seconded. I've been using the stuff from MyTPI for about a month in seriousness, and casually before that. I know my distances have increased lately, although some of that may be the summer. But I've had more than my fair share of 230 yard drives lately, and for someone who used to be happy to hit past 200 off the tee, that's a fair improvement.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you want a healthy lower back, stop stretching it. Your lower back is made for stability, not mobility. Stretching the lower back is

Upright raises are very good too, either in a gym, or on the floor (flat on stomach, hands at 90 degrees...think skydiving position), raise up, hold for 5 count, release.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R5, 9.5 degree
Fairway woods: 973F
Irons: RAC, 3-AWWedges: Vokey spin milled, 56 degreePutter: White Hot #7Ball: Pro V1

What I’m really after is a couple of stretches to loosen up my back, and give allow me to make a full rotation. Does anyone know any good ones?

How you setup can have a big influence on how much you are able to rotate. Tilting your spine away from the target (face on view) will make it easier for you to get your upper body rotated over your back leg. Look at the picture of pros below and notice where the line formed by the shirt buttons point. You should see that most of the pros have their buttons pointing toward the instep of the front foot (illistrating that the upper spine is positioned further away from the target than the lower spine (belt buckle/zipper area).

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Pilates helps my back and I feel better after I finish my sesson.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!