IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've played both ... don't believe the hype either way . More of your feel on wedges has to do with your shaft and your grip than the head . Most premium wedges , whether cast or forged , work effectively for most players . Demo what's out there and buy what feels the best for you . No one else can tell you what a wedge feels like in your unique pair of hands -- Good luck ! -- k.

I am on the other side. I would go for forged wedges if you want softer feel. Vokey wedges are cast no matter if you get oil can, black nickel or satin finish so definitely clicker for me. But performance wise, it doesn't matter whether you get forged or cast. Up to your own personal preference.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I used to play Vokeys and now I play Mizuno wedges (which are forged) and I find the Mizunos have a softer feel to them.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I am on the other side. I would go for forged wedges if you want softer feel. Vokey wedges are cast no matter if you get oil can, black nickel or satin finish so definitely clicker for me. But performance wise, it doesn't matter whether you get forged or cast. Up to your own personal preference.

I couldn't agree more. It might be the power of suggestion, but I do believe my X-Forged feels a "tad" softer....a very little bit. But I also feel I have a little more feedback with my cast Vokeys. As for choosing between the two, I'd pick a wedge by performance, versatility, head design, bounce, shaft, apperance and loft before the actual material it was made of. Then if I was torn between two models, one forged and one cast, go with a personal feel preference. Good Luck!

I play forged wedges because I have always played forged clubs and feel they are softer, but I agree, you have to try them and decide for yourself. The experts, like Dave Peltz, say there is no difference, but only you can answer that.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I find it kind of strange that everyone talks about the buttery soft feel of forged irons, yet in wedges it doesnt matter.
Ive read that Bob Vokey doesnt think that there is a difference in feel from cast to forged (as far as wedges go) as well.
To each, their own. I say try a bunch of 'em and go with whatever you like the best.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I find it kind of strange that everyone talks about the buttery soft feel of forged irons, yet in wedges it doesnt matter.

i agree. i get tired of hearing that "

buttery " statement thrown around. you'll get that same " buttery " feeling if you pure a cast iron too.

I have Vokeys but I also have a Mizuno MP-R wedge in my house which I don't use because it isn't the right loft. Even though some people claim they don't feel any difference, the Mizunos definitely are more solid. It's that solid feeling that makes it feel like the ball is there a little longer at impact. However, I really like Vokeys. Even though they are cast wedges, they almost feel like they're forged. Really, it all comes down to which clubs you like better.

I agree, there is a difference, maybe not to most people but to me there is I played titleist 990 irons (cast ) for 9 years and switched to mizuno( forged ) last year and there is a difference although subtle I also switched from vokey wedges(cast) to mizuno t series (forged) and the weight and softness of the metal is definately different. Now both wedges and irons we're great, it was just that I perfered the forged over the cast. I'ts just like when people argue over milled putters and insert putter's it just depends on how you like the feel of the club. You can't really go wrong with either of the companies mentioned above though.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

there is a definite difference in feel, but very litte(if any) in performance. i used to play forged wedges, now i play clevelands(cast). it is a definite feel difference because the clevelands feel harder on the club face, but i produce much similar spin, accuracy, performance, etc...you may find a bit better longevity in cast wedges, but not by much. either way its a feel thing.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

Wedge shots are all about feel....Forget about whether it is cast or forged and buy what feels right and gives you the confidence to play well and produce on the scoring shots.

What I Play:
Driver: r7 Draw 10.5* Reax S-Flex
Fariway: Great Big Bertha 15* TTDG S-Flex
Hybrid: r7 Draw Rescue 19* Reax S-Flex
Irons: GT 500 4-PW UniFlexWedge: SV 53* RAC TP Satin 56*/60*Putter: White Hot XG Rossie IIBall: Pro V1x TP Black

Cast or forged does not matter if both clubs are made from the same "kind" of metal. If you get a cast club made with hard brittle steel, they will feel hard and brittle. Additionally, hard brittle cast clubs will have grooves so SHARP, that you will skin the cover off your golf ball when you hit a good full shot.

It goes a lot deeper than just cast or forged metallurgically speaking...

I'm unofficially around a 20 handicapper.. (horrible short game and horrible off the tee)

New bag for the 2009 season will have a set of Hogan Apex blades.
I hit down on the ball and take a nice divot, so for $249 , I couldn't pass up on a brand new set of Apex's

Whatd the OP end up getting?

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I know some will argue that many cast are very fine irons, and honestly, I wouldn't dissagree. However, after owning forged irons, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to a cast iron. Obviously anything could happen, but I just love the way my forged irons feel, and it seems like that's a standard statement among those who own forged.

So have any of you gone back to cast after owning forged?

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!