IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see this post post in all the golf forums.

"I've progressed with my game to the point I'm striking the ball fairly consistently. I'm looking to move up to blades. Anybody got some good ideas."

I've have gone the route of learning on blades--basically the only type of irons available in the 1960's. Then I got some X-14 irons and loved them. Was playing well so I switched to Hogan apex plus blades and some Mizzy mb-14s. Played well but wanted more so I went (supposedly backwards) to GI Hogan CFT irons. Now am I am playing super GI Nike slingshots. And playing the best golf of my life.

I've always been able to shape my shot with all mentioned clubs. The difference is the amount of effort exerted to achieve that shape. Granted noting feels sweeter than a well struck shot off a forged blade. But nothing feels worse than a thinned shot off a forged blade.

Anyway I see the pros moving away from the true blades. Why do we amateurs consider blades the HOLLY GRAIL.

just a rant du jour.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

i use them because i dont want to be rewarded with a bad swing if i make a bad swing i dont want my clubs masking my swing just me though

This is a reason that I've had a problem with for a while. Why do you use a really forgiving driver? Really forgiving woods? And a somewhat forgiving putter?

To the OP, I think that many amateurs feel like blades are for better players. And if someone uses them, it demands respect since they should be good. I played with a guy who was using some Titleist blade. On the first tee I thought, "He's probably good." He wasn't, but his clubs showed others that he was. And if he could have hit them, I would have been impressed.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

This is a reason that I've had a problem with for a while. Why do you use a really forgiving driver? Really forgiving woods? And a somewhat forgiving putter?

cant afford new woods and the 3 and 5 aint to forgiving thier pretty average as is the driver i also use a 400 cc 8.5 x-stiff driver i use alot

Don't think it should be an either/or type situation. If you are considering blades or clubs with more feel, start out by purchasing a PW or 9i and go from there.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Nope, blades arent the king of the hill. 75% of tour pros are using CB irons. The notion that you need to switch to blades to continue progressing is an outdated notion that, unfortunately, a lot of people cling to.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Anyway I see the pros moving away from the true blades. Why do we amateurs consider blades the HOLLY GRAIL.

It's simple economics, nothing more. Pros are out there to make money. So, if the ugliest, nastiest feeling club allows them to score better, gee, I wonder which one they will use?

It doesn't have a blink'n thing to do with which one feels better. IMHO... :)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Why do we amateurs consider blades the HOLLY GRAIL.

I don't know this "Holly Grail", but she sounds popular. I wonder if . . . nah, wrong thread.

Blades aren't The King of The Hill. That show was great right up until the end. Blades are more like The Simpsons. Once upon a time they were sheer brilliance. Once upon a time they were the thing that so many others tried to be, and failed miserably. Now they're surpassed on a regular basis by something younger, hipper, and more forgiving. Who cares if it has a chunky topline gaudy badges on the back, as long as it ends up closer to the target!!?!? Blades resemble a tired cartoon that only offers an occasional glimpse of the kind of funny that used to last an entire season. The kind of enjoyment that can't even be sustained for a full episode these days. Jeeze Louise winters in Canada are too freaking long!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I see this post post in all the golf forums.

I'd agree that for the most part that is a out dated thought. BUT, blades which are now muscle backs are better at distance control and being able to vary the trajectory. However this will only be beneficial to a golfer who is a consistent ball striker and knows how to do different types of shots. The general rule of thumb is what you give up in forgiveness you gain in percision and vice versa of course.

Many ppl are about making the game easier and then there are those few of us who want to be challenged. I do have to admit when I play my old set of 78 Wilson Staff tour blades I get, "those are so hard to hit why do you play them?, or how can you hit such a unforgiving club?. I play them b/c they challenge me, they don't work if you don't have at least a decent golf swing and they are more versitle than my combo set of irons. So I guess they do suggest a degree of competency of the game. Also some of the most satisfing feelings I've had from golf is when I post a 78 playing those clubs. For those who want really easy, take up snowboarding cuz it doesn't get much easier than that

. . . for those who want really easy, take up snowboarding cuz it doesn't get much easier than that

There must me a new kind of snowboarding - most of the people I golf with can't get off the top of the chairlift without doing a faceplant, let alone getting down the mountain. You want easy? You want Curling!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think if you are a very consistent ball striker then switching to a blade is a plus because you can work the ball better and the feeling of a perfectly struck blade shot is like no other. But there's those consistent strikers that prefer the feel and play of cavity backs. It's simply your choice what you play, it just takes a more consistent swing to play blades so that's why better players tend to be the ones using them.

What's in my hoofer 2 golf bag:

Driver:: R9 9.5* with Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 shaft in X-stiff
3 wood:: R9 15* with Fujikura Motore F1 65g in X-stiff
2-PW: TA2 with Dynamic Gold X-100Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 53* Gap and 60* LobPutter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 with custom paint and stamp on heal/toeBall:

Do not get me wrong. I'm not bashing blades. All the a fore mentioned irons I still have and play (except those 1960 wilsons). I love the unique qualities of each set and scoring is relative for me.

What impresses me is the golfer who posts I will be upgrading to blades or downgrading to GI sets. That's marketing.

I can shape shots with my hybrid like Nike slingshots or the Mizzy mb-14. Just depends on how vigorous I need to tweak my swing.

It's no different with putters. A putt holed with a knock off Ping anser counts the same as a Scotty special edition hole out.

I have fallen prey to the same marketing scheme. 7 drivers, 6 sets of irons , 4 different makers of wedges, 4 different putters later I come to terms with the idea to be comfortable what is currently in my hands. I still own all those clubs.

The post was intended to comment on how golfers relatively new to the sport aspire to play BLADES. Been there and many $ later have gone back to "dark side".

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I have to smile about the post above because I have gone through four sets of irons and have now returned to my old trusty J-33s (Bridgestone). I fall for marketing just like the next guy. There are probably better irons for me but my old clubs are the ones I have the most confidence hitting. I know guys still playing Ping Eye2s.

RC

I played last week with a 10 handicapper who was using MP67 blades, and he was hitting them fairly consistently. And yes, you just have to respect someone using blades until you see him hitting them; if he can, your respect multiplies, if he can't, your respect turns to pity.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I learned to play with a set of Ping i3 blades. I suppose they are considered "player's irons" or something like that I don't know. I traded them in for my current irons. I wish I kept them so I could hit them side by side, I think I might pick up a set on ebay just to mess around with on the range. I am sure that I score better now with my current irons, and my handicap drop right after dumping the blades is indicative of that assumption, but as mentioned, I wonder if marketing has something to do with it, and if I can score just as well with either club.

Ehh, this is probably stretching it.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

i use them because i dont want to be rewarded with a bad swing if i make a bad swing i dont want my clubs masking my swing just me though

I also react like that. I want to be the guy behind the shot but I do not consider blades to be the Holy Grail. The first set I used (heyy, I was 4 or 5 years old) was a set of kid blades. It was in the 80's and cavity back irons were quite hard to find I think and certainly not done for kids.

That's why today, the only club I can feel is a blade but someone who learnt the game with CB will certainly have the same fun playing them.

I think if you are a very consistent ball striker then switching to a blade is a plus because

I wonder if that is true at all? Many people claim that one can work the ball better but if this was the case do You actually believe that tour players would worsen their position by using CB's? I find that quite unplausible.

Better players tend to use them? Does not apply to either pros not amateurs. Blades are in the minority in all skill levels. Although You r right about one thing, high handicappers should not use them, they r just too difficult. I switched to blades (combo set, I5 & I4 are CB's) 3-4 years ago hoping I could get a lower trajectory. Not sure if I did but my game has stabilized since and chipping is entirely a different game. And as already said, nothing feels better than a sweet shot with a blade As these wear out I will try also latest forgiving CB's, just in order to see if I could benefit from those.

A well struck blade is more consistant than a well struck Game Improvment Iron.
There's only a couple of inches difference in dispersion though so it doeosn't make a huge difference.
Blades give more feedback as well.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Note: This thread is 1440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!