IGNORED

Course Attire

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Personally, I wear pants and a collared shirt all the time. I sometimes change my shoes in the parking lot of the TWO clubs I belong to, one of which has been around since the 1950s and inside of which I have a locker (that I rarely, if ever, use). I wear pants because they keep my legs in the shade and because I feel I look better. When I feel I look better, I feel I play better.

I don't like to see people wearing t-shirts. I don't care for cargo shorts. I don't care for jeans, and especially not cutoffs (denim or any other material).

At my courses, we have dress codes, and people not meeting the dress code will either be sent packing or they'll be buying something in the pro shop to meet the dress code. It's that simple.

At public courses or wherever else with more lax dress codes, I may not LIKE what people are wearing, but I really don't CARE. What clothes someone else is wearing won't affect me at all, nor my enjoyment of the day, etc. I might "wish" that people would care enough to "dress up" a little, but that's a pretty silly thing to waste a wish on, so I don't dwell on it.

I've never had a problem showing up at another club because my own personal standards meet or surpass even the strictest dress code policies I've encountered - Oakmont, Oakland Hills, Avalon Lakes, Trump National, etc. When in doubt (some clubs might require you to wear a suit jacket and tie when not golfing), I've asked.

Cargo pants and t-shirts have their place in my life. It's just not on a golf course. That's my decision. I don't care if you make a different one, but if pressed, I don't have to like it either. I just don't dislike it enough to care, so long as you're not breaking the dress code at wherever you are.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I wear pants and a collared shirt all the time. I sometimes change my shoes in the parking lot of the TWO clubs I belong to, one of which has been around since the 1950s and inside of which I have a locker (that I rarely, if ever, use). I wear pants because they keep my legs in the shade and because I feel I look better. When I feel I look better, I feel I play better.

I agree with Iacas on this. If you want to play golf you need to look the part. Its part of the deal at most if not all fee paying clubs and long may it continue. I for one don't want my golfing experience blighted by the ills of modern fashion. However, isnt the retro look coming back on the course with Poults (dare i mention him) and others sporting plus fours etc?

I believe proper attire is a part of golf. I will not play golf in anything but nice shorts or slacks, and a collared shirt. Heck I feel bad if I go to the local driving range in blue jeans. I just graduated from high school, where I played on the golf team. I came back and was just appalled at what the kids were wearing. The #2 came to practice wearing athletic shorts and a tee shirt with the sleeves cutoff. I talked to the coach and gave them a lecture about respecting the game that they play. I checked back a couple weeks later and was pleased to see that everyone had collared shirts.

Also, I've been introducing the game to some of my friends. I feel bad, but I do let them wear denim to some of the more lax courses we play (we are all 20 years old and in college, so they don't have the money to buy nice shorts for golf). I do require them to wear a collared shirt though and will not budge. And, where we go to school at, there are a couple of real nice courses that they are asking to play. I told them that if we go, they must wear nice shorts, a collared shirt, and some sort of golf appropriate footwear.

I am a guy of tradition, which is something that really draws me to the game. Also, you don't want to anger the golf gods. They might do some bad things to you!

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

I don't have a problem with what people wear as long as they adhere to the dress code or lack thereof.

I've played munis in NYC where there is no dress code and visa versa.

My biggest pet peeve is someone who shows up looking like they are going to play pick up basketball and then ask "Can you make an exception? I did not know." I always call BS on this because you either A) looked up the course on the internet and could have found out the dress code and B) called the course to make a tee time and could have asked about a dress code.

The above happened at Hudson Hills two weeks ago. Guy went out in jeans and black tee shirt. I was pissed at they have a strict dress code. If I adhere to it, so should you. You're not dressed properly? Go home and change. Have some courtesy and don't ask personel to make an exception.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I don't like to see people wearing t-shirts. I don't care for cargo shorts. I don't care for jeans, and especially not cutoffs (denim or any other material).

I think that sums up my position pretty well.

Although Lemay might call you a liar for saying that people will be told to buy proper attire in the pro shop. He might even tell you to quit making things up.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Again, based on the private clubs and courses I have played no one has said anything to anyone about changing clothes.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Again, based on the private clubs and courses I have played no one has said anything to anyone about changing clothes.

So of course that means that anybody who has seen it happen, more than once, is obviously making it up, right?

Like I said, you need to get out more. Not every course has a skaterboarding park in the parking lot.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I agree. I personally think that cargo shorts dont belong on a golf course; but its not as if its going to ruin my day.

I also have the attitude of that as long as I look at least halfway respectable, I couldnt care less what anyone else is wearing.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Wow! Still going. Crazy.

Yep.... who'd a thunk that there'd be that much ado about something so irrelevant to the game? BTW, some of the most passionate golfers I know dress for play similar to my new avatar (that is in fact one of those golfers, my father-in -law when he was 3 years old). They will hop off a tractor after a 6 hour morning in the field, drive over the the course, play 9 holes, then back to work in the field until sundown. And they contributed much of the equipment, money, time and sweat to build and maintain the course they play on. I'd play with any of them any day over someone whose biggest concern is over what I'm wearing to the course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Attire......it's not too much to ask, I don't believe.

It really does seem to have slipped, though.....I'd say in the last few years things have changed a lot. The use of the golf "T-shirt" style shirts was the begining. We can thank David Duval for that one. Now that Tiger has picked this on up, I see it more often.

I was surprised watching recent tourneys and seeing Jeff Oglvy (spelling??) with the shirt tail out virtually the whole round.

Some of the women's attire has really pushed the envelope even more.

I don't know where I weigh in on the issue.

I certainly like the laid back casual nature of a relaxing round, but I think it can be pushed too far. The last round I played found me warming up on the practice range. There was a guy there wearing a T-shirt with the sleeves cut off and a v-notch cut on the collar. I think he had on about 3-5 gold chains on his neck and he was wearing the shorts like my old football coaches used to wear. The guy looked like he was at softball practice or something. Clearly this is an extreme case.

Cargo shorts.....okay, I suppose.

Shirttails....tucked in prefered, however mine seems to work loose throughout the round, too.

I just hope I'm never forced into wearing the "Euro-wear" that some golfers are going to....I'm too out of shape to pull it off!!!

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

SO how about women's apparel? Are u OK with everything right now or do you guys have some exclusions as well? If you think about it, some of the skirts you see in the tour are probably way too short for the "elegance" (not for the cheering audience ) of the sport, ain't I right?

Cheers

Judging by some of the opinions in this thread, my guess is female golfers should dress like this...

Anything else, they will be asked to leave.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

it all depends where you play... a local muni I frequent is a s*** hole and if I wear my usual wear I look waaaaaay out of place and just look somewhat arrogant.

I'll never wear jeans but I've played in a tee shirt, its not the tour and I let my game speak for me

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Cargo thongs allowed?

Guessing I wouln't want to see that - but still the question stands...

(BTW this thread jumped the shark a long time ago. May as well run with it)

Andrew

I just found my new outfit for the country club.

No more cargoes for me.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

Also I just ordered three of these shirts..Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Now I will fit in.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!