IGNORED

Pitching Inside 75 yards

Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately ive been becoming all to knowing of my biggest weakness, pitching inside my wedge range. I keep getting in these situations where im much closer to the green than my friends(because im a little longer) and end up walking to the next hole with a worse score than them. Im a pretty good putter and im actually pretty confident in hitting my wedges. However if im not taking a full swing with my wedges i have serious problems. I get to about 50 yards away from the green with tough pin placement and i look at it and think id rather be 75 yards away so i can hit a full 60 nice and hig that will sit. I usually try and use my 60 degree on these type of shots but i really need some help on them. Does anyone have some tips on how they tuck it close from this distance? What club do u use? And what are ur swing thoughts on this type of shot?

-eddie

I like a 3/4 swing and hit down on the ball with a 52* or a 56* so that I can get some spin. I also would hit less club on the previous shot so that I could hit a full wedge or iron into the green.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I hit a 60 lob wedge from 75 yards as well. I can't hit a 3/4 for the life of me. If I choke down i hit it thin. I added the 64 just for the 55-70 yarder. One day the 64 will loose its stigma like the 60 has. I predict by 2010.

But my go to shot inside 50 or so yards is the trapped pitch. Ball back and hands forward I try to hit down with little wrist action using anything from a 9 iron to the 64 depending on distance. Practice to learn those carry and roll distances.

Lately ive been becoming all to knowing of my biggest weakness, pitching inside my wedge range. I keep getting in these situations where im much closer to the green than my friends(because im a little longer) and end up walking to the next hole with a worse score than them. Im a pretty good putter and im actually pretty confident in hitting my wedges. However if im not taking a full swing with my wedges i have serious problems. I get to about 50 yards away from the green with tough pin placement and i look at it and think id rather be 75 yards away so i can hit a full 60 nice and hig that will sit. I usually try and use my 60 degree on these type of shots but i really need some help on them. Does anyone have some tips on how they tuck it close from this distance? What club do u use? And what are ur swing thoughts on this type of shot?

Funny, I used to have this problem too. Fixing it helped me break 90.

Find a place - a field, a pitching green, somewhere - that you can measure your 1/4 and 1/2 swings with your wedges. Find out how far they'll fly. For the 1/4 swing, bring the shaft to about parallel. For the 1/2 swing, bring your left arm to about parallel. Complete the swings and see how far the ball goes. The 50-yard pitch shot doesn't scare me anymore, since I have 45 yards and 55 yards covered (1/2 swings with my 51 and 47, respectively). I wrote my distances for these swings with my 3 wedges on an index card, which I keep in my bag. Many people print the distances onto their wedges directly, adding a 3/4 swing.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

this is the one shot that i feel i have down now.

basically, just hinge your wrists back and then down. Practice somewhere (an open field would be nice, or a park area with some space) and place 3 buckets down at 30 yards, 45 yards and 60 yards away. Basically, all you're trying to do is hinge swing down into the ball and pitch it into or as close to the buckets as possible. Try it. you'll see miracles happen sooner than you realize.

I hit my 60 degree wedge 80 yards so for 70 - 75 I would hit a knock down shot and shorten my follow through.

Other ways that I take distance off my wedges are the following:

aim left and open the blade open slightly depending on what I need to take off. Hubert Green use to be a magical with this method.

choke down on the club

take a very easy swing

practice a 3/4 swing, the key word is PRACTICE

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

No breaking of wrists,if the pin is back don't hit a high lob wedge,take a 56 and pitch it in,you have got green to work with,Weigh favours the front foot maybe 3 quarter back and left wrist should be straight at impact and on follow through hands should be going towards target,sometimes i take gap wedge from 75 pending on what trajectory i want.I hit my lob wedge 80 yards also,but its more trouble than its worth.Nice ball in with green to work with,with spin on it for the couple of hops and stop or one that will release a bit.this pending really on follow through and how you want your shot to react.Bit hard to explain on paper.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Funny, I used to have this problem too. Fixing it helped me break 90.

Top advice I am currently working on 5 different back swing lengths to produce different pitching distances (combine this with gripping up or down on the grip and you can have 15 different distances)

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 5779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!