IGNORED

Alternative Fuels

iacas
Note: This thread is 5787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I was going to post this in the thread on gas prices, but it deserves its own thread.

Obviously we don't really know, but does anyone think that this statement is wrong:

If the U.S. wisely invested in some research groups looking into alternative fuels what it spends fighting the war in Iraq in one month, we'd have a nationwide solution inside of a decade.

I think that's true. I've talked to some nuclear physicists who think even nuclear powered cars are a possibility.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I definitely agree.

When this subject came up for discussion in the past (sitting around a camp fire drinking with friends), my stance was always that even if someone came up with something, it'd be very difficult to get it into mainstream use. It'd be a lot to take on financially to convert existing vehicles across the board, etc....

That was when gas was 1/2 of what it costs now. That argument would no longer hold up.....and it's now looking like it will become a necessity.

The amount of money poured into this by GM and Ford both is starting to really jump start this endeavor. GM has a pretty cool alternative fuels blog.

Id agree with that. IMO, figuring out a way to achieve sustained mobility is much more important than fighting the terrorists.
Id really like to see more empasis being place on hydrogen. The cars already exist to run on hyrdogen, but we havent yet found a way to make it so that its affordable.
Im not a fan of ethanol. You dont get as much gas milage out of it and the pollution that is caused by ethanol plants is a serious problem.
Electric is another thing we should really be looking into.
Im hoping that GM is able to make the Volt work. If they do, it will greatly improve fuel efficiency. Ive never been a Chevy man, but Id seriously consider a Volt if GM can get it to work and if its affordable.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think we as consumers should be screaming this to the car manufacturers and our politicians as well. Politically I come down strongly against dependence on foreign oil. The kicker is that if there was an economical version of the cars and fuels today, many of the poor folks like myself would not be able to go out and buy them immediately. Just look at the current prices of mid grade cars and trucks.

I believe it would take about 10 years to phase out all of the gas burners anyway. This pretty much would coincide with Iasac's timeframe. But it needs to be an issue today, no yesterday, no 30 years ago when I can barely remember the long gas lines of the 70s (i think it was).

One man actually found Saltwater could possibly be a future fuel.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

My cousin found a new way to save precious money instead of spending it on gas. Of course his idea was a tricycle and he made his outline of the transportation in crayon, but it is true. lol true story

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

Id agree with that. IMO, figuring out a way to achieve sustained mobility is much more important than fighting the terrorists.

Most people were not saying this right after 9/11 though.

Most people were not saying this right after 9/11 though.

True. Ask yourself this though: whats more of a threat to our way of life? Fuel shortages or terrorists.

Heres another thing to consider, if we were to stop buying oil (or at least greatly reduce how much of it we buy) it would take away a lot of the income from the Mid-East oil-producing nations which seem so intent of making war with everyone who doesnt agree with their views. Take away that income and how are they going to fund their terrorist training camps and their terrorist operations? Something to consider...

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Heres another thing to consider, if we were to stop buying oil (or at least greatly reduce how much of it we buy) it would take away a lot of the income from the Mid-East oil-producing nations which seem so intent of making war with everyone who doesnt agree with their views. Take away that income and how are they going to fund their terrorist training camps and their terrorist operations? Something to consider...

So very true. Oil is all, absolutely all, they have to offer the world. This would emasculate their economy back to a third world dust bowl.

• Administrator
So very true. Oil is all, absolutely all, they have to offer the world. This would emasculate their economy back to a third world dust bowl.

Back on topic, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If we all drove cars that got 20 miles per gallon in the city and 30+ miles in the freeway can you imagine the fuel savings.

In a way the $4-$5 a gallon of gas is a blessing in disguise. We should have paid a gas tax 10-20 years ago to fund alternative fuels or more efficient form of gas operating vehicle such as hybrids. I have a feeling the oil companies lobbist may have stop some of these ventures

There is a company in Silcone Valley in California where they are making a sport car that can do 0-60 in 4 seconds and get about 135 miles per gallon
teslamotors.com.

If they start making 4 door sedan and vans for the family it would be great.

The Prius is using solar panel to operate their air conditioning in the next model cars they are making.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

If we all drove cars that got 20 miles per gallon in the city and 30+ miles in the freeway can you imagine the fuel savings.

So true. The entire auto industry should have been investing in fuel-efficiency, but instead they focused on trucks and SUVs because thats what was selling. You cant blame them, but now that gas is no longer cheap it has left some of them at a big disadvantage.

Ive seen that Tesla. I see they also offer an electric car that has similar performance and you plug it in to a 220v outlet in your garage to charge it up. Supposedly it goes 50 miles on a charge. The industry will get there, especially now when everyone is focusing so much more on fuel-efficiency. Just to kind of show you how the times have changed, last month the Toyota Corolla was the best-selling car in America. Whens the last time that you heard of a compact economy car being the #1 seller? Last year they were talking on some of the automotive news shows that some politicians were talking about proposing a gas tax like you mentioned, mostly to make people drive less and buy more fuel-efficient vehicles, but they all decided not to because they knew that if they proposed raising gas prices that they probably wouldnt get reelected when their term was up.

I think we should be looking at alternative fuels more so to better the environment. Everything is a give and take. By using other sources for fuel (give), it will raise the prices of the items that our other sources were originally meant for (take). For example, E-85, which has/will (depending on where you live) raise the prices of any food containing or using corn as an ingredient. We need something that is good for the environment and won't run out of supply in 50-100 years.

Note: This thread is 5787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!