IGNORED

golf, smoking and sports

Newbie Collection Agency
Note: This thread is 6648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a relative newcomer to the game (5 years), I am mystified by the acceptance of smoking while on the golf course. If golf is truly a sport how can a deadly habit be condoned by so many. Name another sport where smoking is permitted. Golfers speak so much about etiquette, yet manythink nothing of lighting up a putrid stogie while another member of the foursome is putting downwind from a plume of a very distracting stench. I love this game, but would like to see more common courtesy on the course when it comes to this issue. thanks

As a relative newcomer to the game (5 years), I am mystified by the acceptance of smoking while on the golf course. If golf is truly a sport how can a deadly habit be condoned by so many. Name another sport where smoking is permitted. Golfers speak so much about etiquette, yet manythink nothing of lighting up a putrid stogie while another member of the foursome is putting downwind from a plume of a very distracting stench. I love this game, but would like to see more common courtesy on the course when it comes to this issue. thanks

I agree, save those stogies for the bar.

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I agree, save those stogies for the bar.

I completely disagree.

While I do not smoke cigarettes, I enjoy cigars on a regular basis and have cigars from time to time on the course. I feel that I’m entitled, as are others since we are outside in a public and open air environment. I personally will ask new playing partners if they are allergic to smoke but will not stop because they don’t like the “stench”, to me and others that is a very good aroma. I will keep my distance from them on the tees and greens because I don’t want to be rude but I feel that everyone can still have a good round despite this. I don’t know if these are regular playing partners of yours but most smokers I know would be willing to give you more space if you were to politely ask them for some. Professional golfers have the lowest rate of drinking and drug related infractions, crimes, etc compared to any other major sport. Smoking has also been cut down on the course because more and more golfers are treating themselves like athletes and wish to be in better physical condition. You also have to think about the pace of play, you’ve never seen a hockey, football or basketball player smoking because they are constantly in motion and have a hard enough time breathing as it is. Many years ago though you could see baseball players smoking while playing, especially pitchers (in the bullpen not the mound) and outfielders because of their lack of activity on the field. But you rarely ever see a professional golfer with a smoke hanging out of their mouth while putting or teeing off, just in between shots. For many it’s a calming agent and helps them relax. I agree on the etiquette part as I do not like to see cigar and cigarette butts all over course and wish people would clean up after themselves. I will also confront people (in a kind manner) who do leave their trash on the course. I also like smoking bans in bars and restaurants though, since there is usually limited amount of air circulating around, plus it’s a lot smaller space. This is also why I never smoke inside my home. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and regardless of our differences I hope you have a great time on the course. Hit ‘em well!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Name another sport where smoking is permitted

Billiards. Bowling. Poker.

I despise smoking and tend to avoid it, but I can avoid it pretty easily in a wide open space by standing upwind. And really, MOST of the guys I play with don't smoke...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, I don't think it's too big of a deal, but I don't really see a place for it on the golf course. I know golfers get in a lot less trouble than other athletes, but it still doesn't look good when John Daly or Darren Clarke is lighting one up during the tournament. I could do without seeing it.

But it's not the end of the world for me, and none of the people I play with ever smoke.

Golf is too difficult a game to worry about whether or not a competitor is smoking. In addition I like to enjoy a good cigar from time to time while I play. And pretty much I don't give a crap if it does bother someone, like he said if it is a problem stand upwind.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

get a life. golf is my only refuse left to have a smoke and not be bothered
by the pc police. if it offends someone in my group i will be courteous and
keep the smoke to myself. golf is the worlds greatest game lets just play and enjoy..

I am an avid non-smoker, however, as I will never understand the need to smoke while engaging in an activity that is supposed to be recreational and relaxing, I can't see having a problem with someone else doing it. That's assuming there are respectful to me and at least stand away from me or others when doing so.

What I do have a problem with is golfers who MUST drink while playing golf. Two months ago, I was driving along a cart path when a pair playing a hole going in the opposite direction hit a ball that sailed right through ny cart and pass my head. The only yelled out (Fore!) after the ball had already cleared the cart. Quite a delayed reaction! As they drove up to me in their cart to appologize, I could smell the alcohol as soon as they got to within 15 feet. And being that is was just the two of them and both intoxicated, makes you wonder who drove home. The one in the right seat was so drunk he almost fell out of the cart.

I havn't been playing that long, but have been held up on several occasions but intoxicated groups.

In my humble opinion, Golf can do without this!

Jeff

• Administrator
I am an avid non-smoker, however, as I will never understand the need to smoke while engaging in an activity that is supposed to be recreational and relaxing, I can't see having a problem with someone else doing it. That's assuming there are respectful to me and at least stand away from me or others when doing so.

Drinking changes your behavior dramatically. Smoking does not. For the most part, I agree with you here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

as a cigarette smoker I always ask playing partner if it bothers him(her). If answer is yes - I'll be respectfull and stay "away" when possible so they don't have to "... putting downwind from a plume of a very distracting stench..." as one very objective poster put it If you're playing in a pick-up foursome - adjust. if you're sooo picky - get yourself a group of friends who don't smoke. Why can't we all just get along...

What I do have a problem with is golfers who MUST drink while playing golf.

Sorry to bring it to you Jeff... Golf CAN'T do without. If you limit players to "real golfers" (however you interpret it) - most of the courses will go out of business. The only way they survive (most of them) is through outings and beverage sales before, during and after the rounds. No matter how annoying - it allows to keep the green fees low....

Having worked at golf courses I see how much money they make from alcohol sales, so don't look for sales to end any time soon. All I can suggest is to play during times when alcohol sales aren't big. Early mornings and early in the week are the best times. The worst times are weekend afternoons, the drunk idiots are out in force. I also find that playing weekdays and early in the morning you get the more experienced (not neccessarily better) golfers out and the rounds tend to be more enjoyable all around. I haven't played on a weekend afternoon in years.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

...and tend to avoid it, but I can avoid it pretty easily in a wide open space by standing upwind.

Bingo!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I completely disagree...

I don't mind at all, people smoking on the course or having a drink. However, nothing bother's me more than seeing Butts on the actual GREEN, except for the occasional drinker who cant get the cans/bottles in the actual receptacle and is too, *ahem*,"happy" to realize it...

I enjoy cigars and pipes, but I find them too distracting to smoke them when I play. I like it when other's in my group smoke them, but I find it too bothersome to have to keep puting the cigar down to take my shot. I dont drink on the course either, but have no quams with others drinking either. (so long as it isn't an re-enactment of our frat house-days, power-hour sessions!) There was only one time when I had a stiff drink "on the course". I had invited 3 of my co-workers, other dads, for a fatherday outing. I was actually pretty stiff, because how nervouse/uncomfortable I was golfing with some of my friends. By the 9th hole I ran into the bar and ordered a shot. that actually seemed to help and loosen me up a bit... so much so, I've been thikng about making it part of my "pre-game routine!" (just need to get used to some JD at 7 am!)

Peter Valone
Home Course:Mill Creek

"The invisible opponent whose tangible form is the card and pencil; the toughest opponent of them all -- Old Man Par." Bobby Jones

Just throw emptyies in the garbage and keep the cigar ashes off the green and dont hold up the group behind you.Yep that about covers it.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I don't really smoke, never have, but I do 'enjoy' a cigar once or twice a year. But when I lit one up on the course a couple of months ago I found that there is no way to enjoy one while playing (at least I can't, being a newbie smoker).

But it doesn't bother me in the least on the course if I see others or am partnered with a smoker. And thats odd, as I go ballistic if someone is smoking in a public place like a mall or restaurant.

I can sypathize with smokers too. They have are unfairly considered a scorn and burden on society, and pay outrageous sin taxes. Too many people or public and private entities try to regulate our lives, but lets give them this one break.

Well I've never been a smoker but as others have mentioned have had a cigar or 2 on the course. Just doesn't work for me. Proves more of a distraction than any kind of help. With that said I really don't care if others around me smoke. If thats their perogative then so be it. I don't let it get to me.

I live in ohio and local smoking bans have become rampant. I believe there is something on the ballot now for a state wide ban. I really wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. I can understand banning smoking in restraunts but banning smoking in bars is going too far. Now granted I don't smoke and typically don't enjoy all of the smoke in a bar I'm not going to tell everyone else they can't smoke. I think smoking and drinking in bars goes hand in hand so let them have it.

If they want to ban it indoors I say let them have it outdoors even if its on the course. Just don't make a mess of it.

Note: This thread is 6648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!