IGNORED

Legends Reno-Tahoe Open...Michelle Wie is playing!

underparnv
Note: This thread is 5767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Story just gets sadder and sadder.

Unfortunately, it has graduated from sad to pathetic.

Michelle Wie had been mismanged and mishandled so poorly... that one might plead to other young female golfers(ie Alexis Thomson) to take note of what the Wie camp did, in almost EVERY circumstance, and do the opposite.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Uh, I think she hurt her wrist after a fall while running.

What she thinks isn't in the least important. She isn't good enogh to compete with the men, and she's now proven that eight times.

She won the U.S. Women's Publinks, let's be fair about that. The equivalent on the men's side goes to The Masters every year. Be fair: she's won SOMETHING, and she did at the age of 13.

Yes, she won a second rate am event 5 years ago, and has won absolutely nothing since. As for Reno-Tahoe being know for low scoring, I wonder how Wie's big, fat 80 today will do much for her confidence.

Or more and more ridiculous.

I recall the quote as "Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make proud." That would fit a golfer who hasn't won a thing at any level in 5 full seasons, yet thinks she's too good for the LPGA.

nice job michelle... she couldnt compete amongst the weakest field in golf

True dat (well, the weakest field on the PGA Tour). Not that anyone should be surprised . . .

I call BS on that - field strength my butt. Those players still represent the top fraction of a percent of all golfers worldwide (small fraction), not to mention she bested 48 of them in her first round. I may not agree with what she's doing, but I won't bash her for doing what she is

allowed to do. Bash the system, not the player - woman or otherwise.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I call BS on that - field strength my butt. Those players still represent the top fraction of a percent of all golfers worldwide (small fraction), not to mention she bested 48 of them in her first round. I may not agree with what she's doing, but I won't bash her for doing what she is

So you think it's NOT the weakest field on the PGA Tour?

She finished T118 and missed the cut by 9 strokes . She beat exactly nine players in the field + two more withdrew. It's pretty hard to spin that into some kind of positive accomplishment, IMO.

So you think it's NOT the weakest field on the PGA Tour?

You missed my point completely. Weak compared to the Bridgestone? Absolutely. Some of you guys make it sound like the field was full of nobodies. My point is they are still great golfers. If anything you do a disservice to the players in the field who bust their ass to make it on tour who would whip any one of us and 99%+ of any other golfer anywhere. As far as a positive spin, I would call what she did yesterday positive, although the end result doesn't show it.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

You missed my point completely. Weak compared to the Bridgestone? Absolutely. Some of you guys make it sound like the field was full of nobodies. My point is they are still great golfers. If anything you do a disservice to the players in the field who bust their ass to make it on tour who would whip any one of us and 99%+ of any other golfer anywhere. As far as a positive spin, I would call what she did yesterday positive, although the end result doesn't show it.

Among other standards, there are two to judge whether her performance was a success or failure:

1. Was her second round score lower or higher than her first round? After a player has seen the course and become accustomed to the greens, you would expect, under normal circumstances that his or her score would improve. Michelle's went the other direction, by 7 shots. 2. While she had missed the cut in 7 straight PGA tournaments, if she has improved, you would expect that she would either make the cut or come closer than before. She did make the cut, and was further away from the cut line. Draw your own conclusions for judging her performance, based on these standards. Should any sponsor consider giving her an exemption in 2009 for a PGA tournament, given her record at Reno?

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

You missed my point completely. Weak compared to the Bridgestone? Absolutely. Some of you guys make it sound like the field was full of nobodies. My point is they are still great golfers. If anything you do a disservice to the players in the field who bust their ass to make it on tour who would whip any one of us and 99%+ of any other golfer anywhere.

Yesterday yes, today no. No denying she has some talent.

Every time she finishes one of these freak shows I think perhaps this is the end and maybe she will become serious about the LPGA tour and concentrate on that. But I doubt it. Some low end tournament will do what ever they feel they have to do to sell some tickets and probably invite her again.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Quote from Wie after missing the cut today:

"I think if I played a couple (PGA events) in a row, it would be a different story. It's just hard to play one and then one maybe a year later," she said. "I think if I played eight in a row and I missed all eight, that would be a different story."

Anybody else think this is a pretty lame excuse for doing poorly?

Bill

Yesterday yes, today no. No denying she has some talent.

You may be right, BUT---in the one newspaper account, it said that on Thursday, she had 400 people watch her on the first tee, and the sponsors WERE HAPPY WITH THAT NUMBER!! 400???? And they were happy? I could understand if it was 2,000-5,000, but 400?? In the next tournament, will the figure drop to 100, and will the sponsor want to give up a sponsor exemption with that turnout for her? I think that she has reached THE END OF THE ROAD with sponsors' exemptions. She has now "painted herself into a corner", and will have to go to Q School and earn her card the right way. That is a good thing.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Among other standards, there are two to judge whether her performance was a success or failure:

What are normal circumstances? Guys on tour shoot worse their second, third, or fourth round constantly, so this standard is out the window.

2. Draw your own conclusions for judging her performance, based on these standards. Should any sponsor consider giving her an exemption in 2009 for a PGA tournament, given her record at Reno?

These are your standards, not mine. She did favorably on Thursday, beating many players as stated before, so she has talent, and can compete. Again, I'm not advocating her choices, but it seems so many are openly applauding her failure, when in order to be fair the sponsors should be held somewhat accountable for this so called 'circus'.

Hopefully Wie will take this as a huge wake up call, as I have said before Wie does not deserve to play in PGA Tour events and has done nothing to earn the right to play in the PGA Tour events.

Untill she has unrivalled success on the LPGA Tour as Annika once did she has not proven her self good enough to play on the mens tour, in fact all she has done is proven she should not be playing in mens events at all.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

With Annika retiring and no other female golfer ready to compete with Lorena on a week in, week out basis, this is the perfect time for Wie's handlers to put her full time on the LPGA tour. I could care less about her finishing nine shots over the cut line on a weak men's field, but I'd watch her try to win against an elite LPGA field. She's still young enough where her story could have a happy ending, but she hasn't won a thing since the pub links. Anything. Anywhere. And they keep trotting out the tired dog and pony show against low quality men's fields and she keeps getting spanked.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Note: This thread is 5767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!