IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, what's the point of Fyruk's story?

The guy who owns the discount golf shop was cheering for Furyk because he was polite and well mannered - a regular nice guy. The guy who'd traded in the putter was cheering for him because for once a pro was using a regular guy's cast off putter. It wasn't a slight against Scotty Camerons or any other more expensive putter. It was just a nice puff piece (or "putt piece"). It wasn't necessarily proof of anything but it wasn't pointless either. A nice guys won with a used putter.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i thought it was a cool story that he was using a used putter of a semi famous guy but arent there alot of tour players using odyssey insert putters which are like the same price or cheaper than the YES! putter Furyk used?

• 3 months later...

Been looking at making a putter change. I currently use an odyssey white hot xg #1.  And while i do like it sometimes it just feels very inconsistant to me. It may be me but i tried out a scotty at my local pro shop and i absolutely loved it. Only thing is I cant really pull the trigger on a 300 dollar putter. Thoughts and opinons are welcomed.

Drivers: Titleist 913 D2 Aldila phenom
Fairway Woods: Titleist 910F-d
Fairway Woods: Titleist 909 F3 or

Hybrid: Taylormade tp 18 or Mp fli hi 2 iron 
Irons: Mizuno MP-52 3-pw
Wedges: TaylorMade RAC Z TP
Putters: Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #2
Golf Bags: Titleist Blue cart bag

Shoes: Footjoy Dry joys

Golf Balls: Titleist Pro v1x

Originally Posted by GixxerTed

Been looking at making a putter change. I currently use an odyssey white hot xg #1.  And while i do like it sometimes it just feels very inconsistant to me. It may be me but i tried out a scotty at my local pro shop and i absolutely loved it. Only thing is I cant really pull the trigger on a 300 dollar putter. Thoughts and opinons are welcomed.

If it works for you, and you plan on hanging onto it forever, and most of all, if you "love it". Do it.

This is just as an observer of golf forums, since I've only played with 1 person in the past 2 years who had a Scotty in the bag (or at least, had a Scotty headcover), but for every guy who regrets buying one, there seem to be several who can't believe the waited so long. Some of these guys consider "back in the day" as somewhere between 1999 and 2006, but that's another story.

Either way, someone will likely take it off your hands in a hearbeat.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i went for the 3 benjamins last spring.  90 rounds played last season times 33 putts per round comes to almost 3000 putts.  that's about $.10 per putt.  i'd say it was $$$ well spent.  life is short.  if you love the putter then go for it.

A SC won't be more consistant than any other putter out there.  It's a putter.  The one club that technology hasn't touched since the game began.  But what a SC is though is a finely crafted piece of equipment.  Ans as is usually the case quality is expensive.

What I would advise someone wanting to own a SC would be to find one used and buy it that way.  You can save considerably on on the expense by taking your time and looking around.  The great thing about SC putters is they do hold some value so you can buy and trade used putters and keep your out of pocket costs at a minimum.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

A SC won't be more consistant than any other putter out there.  It's a putter.  The one club that technology hasn't touched since the game began.  But what a SC is though is a finely crafted piece of equipment.  Ans as is usually the case quality is expensive.

What I would advise someone wanting to own a SC would be to find one used and buy it that way.  You can save considerably on on the expense by taking your time and looking around.  The great thing about SC putters is they do hold some value so you can buy and trade used putters and keep your out of pocket costs at a minimum.

Works in theory, but do you know who's really making money on ebay and the BST forums?

FedEx, UPS, the USPS, DHL. etc.

I pulled the trigger last year on a Nike Method 001 ($50 less than a SC but still $250!).  Seemed like a lot but I got thinking about it and it's the one club I use every round for pretty much every hole.  It's a club that should last forever and it's the club that you want to feel good about.  If it feels good then I say go for it.

OP, I know you're new so here is a bit of advice... please use the search...

Check out this thread.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/15021/master-scotty-cameron-putters-worth-it-or-not-thread

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just bought SC Studio Select Newport 2 and sold my White Hot XG #1. I know 300 dollars (203euros) is a lot money for a putter but you're more than happy to spend 400 dollars on a driver you use about 14 times a round. Scotty was my primary option because I love the look (and status, please don't kill me :), but I also tested Bettinardis SeeMores Clevelands and Nikes etc but I felt the most comfortably and confident with SC. IMHO putting is 70% about confidence, so SC was my choise.

In my titleist.gif X86 Stand bag
taylormade.gif R9 SuperTri Stiff/TP Regular
taylormade.gif R9 Fairway Wood Regular

910H 17* Diamana Kai'li Stiff
benhogan.gifApex FTX 3-P Regular
 cleveland.gif CG14 Chrome 52.10/56.11cameron.gifStudio Select Newport 2 Tour V2

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

The putter itself will not increase consistency, although I feel that some of their putters have just the right amount of weight to keep a smooth stroke.

It's the confidence within the putter that will increase your consistency. Instead of walking up to those damed 5 footers and going, "man, I hate 5 footers" if you have that instilled confidence, it's so much easier to look at it as "a piece of cake, no problem".

On the other hand, they are the best feeling putters on the market, the only ones that compare in the milled range are Bettanardi, TM's Kia Ma.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

Many other companies offer high-quality milled putters that are similar to SC.  Better deals can be found on these.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I got my Scotty Pro Platinum recently on Ebay.  If you go that way, and really take the time and not just jump on the first one, you can end up in real good shape.  I ended up paying 160 for my that was in near flawless condition...couldn't be happier.  I'm not sure I could have fully enjoyed it if I paid 300 though....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

just paid $220 (shipped) for a Kombi-S from global golf listed in 'mint' condition. it came in the scotty box, scotty bag and scotty wrap on the grip still...a STEAL in my opinion. there are deals out there, if you 'love' it...be patient and find one at a good price...and enjoy :)

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Tiger Woods played his scotty for 12 years before Nike put a little pressure on him! Or he just wanted to piss off Wally! LOL. I've been playing the Newport 2  for 3 years  and it is just smooth as silk.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When upgrading from my junky starter set putter I purchased a TaylorMade Rossa Spider.  At first I liked it but it gave me no confidence whatsoever.  If I two putted, I called it a MAJOR victory.  I used to think the Scotty people were ridiculous for paying that for a putter and I promised myself I would never pay that much money for one.  Well I was out with my friends one round and was playing, hands down, my best round ever but my putting was so god awful that day that it frustrated me to no end.  After that day I caved and started looking for a Scotty.  I eneded up with a California Coronado 35" for $198 to my door on ebay.

The first round out with it, I made a 30' + left to right wicked bender for birdie.  I know it wasn't the putter but before that putt I had more faith in myself.  After that putt, it was all over.  My confidence in putting has gone WAY up.  I make a lot more putts I would have never thought I could make.  IMO that kind of confidence is worth more then $198 to my game so to say Im happy with my Scotty purchase would be an understatement.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

I have had a SC Newport for about 6 months.  I do like it, but I don't LOVE it like some other SC owners.  I love to putt around at Golfsmith and even though I have a $300 SC, I find myself trying different putters.  I think putters are all in what looks good to the eye.  There are a ton of nice looking putters.  Given the opportunity, I would swap out my SC to give the Method a shot.  I tried an Odyssey #9 ($129) this past weekend at GS and thought it felt great, looked great.  Got me thinking......

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 3769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!