IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

My sentiments exactly.

I agree with that. I'm not in favor of excessively discrimatory policies but I think there are some things that are appropriate and others that are not. It's not a question of whether it's morally acceptable to wear jeans on a golf course or if they're a bad person or something, it just isn't appropriate to dress that way. Maybe on a really low rent course or something but on a nice course people should try to look like they belong there.

Driver: 905r 10.5
3 - Wood: 15degree
hybrid: heavenwood 20 degree
Irons: MP - 32 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey 54 and 60Putter: Anser 2 Belly

I agree about weeding out the trash.

I am all for banning:

- shirts with no collars
- shirts with no sleeves
- torn shirts
- any denim jeans or jeans shorts (seriously, jeans shorts are really, really bad, if you have any jeans shorts, get rid of them now)
- grossly oversized cloting aka ghettowear including pants not pulled up to the waist properly
- anything tie-died (is it tye-dyed or tie-died? oh well, you get my point)

I would also like to see implemented something like no cell phone usage except in the parking lot, no exceptions.

I'd like to see immediate and unconditional ejection from the golf course for any of the above infractions without refund of whatever you have spent that day. I'd consider the rule not have too much teeth, and that you be allowed to return the next day. However, I would want to see a three strikes rule leading to a permanent ban.

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

I like analogies and comparisons so here's my take.

In Vegas, you can play $20max/min buy in Holdem at .25 a chip. Or you can play $500 min $5000 max buy in Holdem at $25 a chip. Guess what you can't sit down in the highroller's area if you aren't dressing the part. Try to play Baccarat while wearing shorts and a T-shirt. OUT YOU GO.

Late night out with the boys and you want to go see some ladies getting neked. Go to you average strip club and they could care less what you wear as long as you buy 2 drinks. Try to hit up a real gentlemen's club and whatch the dress code come into play.

So when it comes to golf, it should be up to the course, but it should be enforced, whatever it is. If you want to wear more relaxed clothing, then go to a more relaxed course.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

Funny thing is, even within the boundaries of the dress codes, you can still express your personality.

Ian Poulter
Payne Stewart

and obviously, something this controversial must be good for the game!! :)

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

......want to go see some ladies getting neked. ......

Got to admit, this is the first time I've heard the topic of "ladies getting neked" compared to a golf course dress code. I like the analogy! Now we just need to make sure that having the ladies getting neked IS part of the dress code. On second thought, given some of the "talent" I've seen on my local courses, maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea after all. Never mind........

Muni's are paid for by taxpayers and they should have the vote on the club rules.If you play at a Private owned but public course the owner of that course sets the rules.Personally I think a collared shirt and Bremuda lenth non denim short is not asking too much.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

We love our game, obviously. It has traditions, etiquette, and rules -- we actually police ourselves and call infractions voluntarily. Can you imagine an NBA player saying to the referee... oops, I palmed the ball, please give it over to the other team. Golf is golf because our previous generations preserved the game. Now it is our turn.

85 percent have voted there should be some level of dress code. Somehow, I feel it is up to those of us that agree with this position to uphold the qualities of our game that have produced its history. I do not think this is asking too much nor being elitist, but rather preserving the very things about golf that are cherished by so many.

Disagree if you wish, that is your prerogative. But don't ask me to diminish the game and its traditions.

RC

Whether playing a "relaxed" local public course or a nicer, private course, I always dress the part. Always.... I have about 5 differently colored nice pants just for golf, along w/ numerous nice shirts. (Just about all Nike apparel)

I usually golf w/ at least one or two other buddies and they'll show up w/ jeans on or some outrageous shirt that they think looks cool. I shake my head and let them know every time when they pull this on me. One of my buddies isn't that serious of a golfer, but the other one is and I really chastise him every time.

I just feel like I belong while out on the course wearing what I wear. And it is a respect issue for me as well. Golf is such a rich traditionalist sport, with many of the traditions set many, many years ago. I feel we as golfers in present day do everything we can to continue those traditions. And dressing appropriately is one of those traditions.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

We love our game, obviously. It has traditions, etiquette, and rules -- we actually police ourselves and call infractions voluntarily. Can you imagine an NBA player saying to the referee... oops, I palmed the ball, please give it over to the other team. Golf is golf because our previous generations preserved the game. Now it is our turn.

Nice post RC, and I agree completely. The traditions of game and its inherent integrity are truly what set this sport apart from any other. I wouldn't expect to go to a pick-up basketball game on Venice Beach dressed like I just came from the club, and I don't want someone to come to the golf course dressed like a hip hop artist. There are certainly enough variations in our "dress code" to allow a wide variability in terms of styles, both young and old, but that doesn't mean you have to dress like a slob. I appreciate the history and traditions, which is one reason I admire golfers like Tom Watson who has always been a respectful student of the game, and I don't care for someone like Boo Weekly who doesn't seem to give a damn about the game that has brought him earnings like none of us will ever see. And while on the topic of Boo and golf clothes, if you're not sitting in a duck blind or out on military patrol, leave the camo outfits in the closet.

not all traditions need be kept though

such as what?

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Personally, I prefer to wear Dockers-type pants or shorts and a polo style shirt when I play golf. I really don't like to wear jeans any time, especially when I play golf, but more because I am just not comfortable in them. When the weather is a little cooler, I may wear jeans to the range, but never to the course. I don't really care if someone else wears jeans, cargo shorts, or a mock-T. I would prefer they reserve cutoff blue jeans shorts, tank tops, wife beaters, and jogging clothes for some other types of activities.

Funny story. A few weeks following my wedding, I was out with the FIL playing a round of golf. There was a twosome of young ladies in the group ahead of us, both wearing sweats. After a few holes, though, we watched as they shed the sweats and ended up in Hooters-style shorts and tank tops. And they were built for those clothes. First and only time that inappropriate attire did not bother me in the least, nor did the day's slow play.

Personally, I prefer to wear Dockers-type pants or shorts and a polo style shirt when I play golf. I really don't like to wear jeans any time, especially when I play golf, but more because I am just not comfortable in them. When the weather is a little cooler, I may wear jeans to the range, but never to the course. I don't really care if someone else wears jeans, cargo shorts, or a mock-T. I would prefer they reserve cutoff blue jeans shorts, tank tops, wife beaters, and jogging clothes for some other types of activities.

I'll never complain about a situation like that either........ My local course has a good number of cougars that are out on the prowl, and I just "hate" it when I have to be "stuck" behind them for 5 holes........ I even "hate" it more when they invite me to join their group........

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Personally, I don't like being termed an "idiot" and a "slob" because of what I wear to a golf course. Most of my golfing is done usually immediately after a class at any muni that happens to be open, and i'll play wearing whatever I wore to school. I usually don't happen to have an extra pair of khaki pants or a collared shirt in my car to change in to, but I never though anybody would care as long as it wasn't against the course rules. I think your stereotypes are a bit rude and of limited validity.

oh and btw, i fix all my divot marks, ball marks, and don't litter.

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

such as what?

the tradition of coats while playing,only whites,game for the proper,none lasted but were all traditions at one time.oh and the all time best you know wat golf stands for?? gentleman only ladies forbiddin,glad they were changed but those were traditions.

the tradition of coats while playing,only whites,game for the proper,none lasted but were all traditions at one time.oh and the all time best you know wat golf stands for?? gentleman only ladies forbiddin,glad they were changed but those were traditions.

Those were also sterotypical traditions though out the world at that time, and weren't just in place in the golfing world. Either way, I think we can all agree the world/game is better with out them.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!