IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

My 2 cents.

Golf is a game of confidence. Now answer me one question, Do you feel like a million bucks when you put on Adidas Warm up pants, and a t shirt to go bust out 18 holes? No. You feel like a 15 dollar rack at walmart.

Do you feel like a million bucks wearing a $60 nike shirt, with $80 schlezinger pants and a $20 visor? You bet your ass .

My confidence sky rockets when I drive to the course looking FINE in my golf attire :)

Golf is also a gentlemen game not a MANS game, One of the reasons I do love golf is when you step on that course your manners are good, you have a positive attitude, you look nice, and so
does everyone else and it just brings the game that much closer to equaling heaven

DRIVER: R7 460 Draw - 10.5* R Flex 55g
WOODS Taylormade R11 15* , Big Bertha 4w
HYBRID Taylormade Burner Rescue 19*, Taylormade R11 5 Hybrid
IRONS Mizuno Mx-200 4-GW WEDGES CG14 56* PUTTER Sabertooth 34"

"I can assure you that no kid of MINE would show up at the course (or anyplace else) looking like he just left a rap concert."

My standards simply involve being neat and presentable. I've stated that more than once in this thread. I'm not a proponent of any specific uniform.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My 2 cents.

I believe feeling comfortable leads to far more confidence than having a light wallet. Heck if you feel like a million bucks like that, I bet you feel like a trillion bucks in a Valentino business suit. Imagine how many under par you would shoot then. Your confidence would be off the charts!

I am a believer in the fact that if I treat the golf course and people with respect, it shouldn't matter if I show up in jean shorts and a t-shirt. My money is just as good as the next guys. If you feel that people that dress like that are disrespectful to the course and people, then setup rules to get rid of the behavior, not the dressing. If you don't like the way I look, don't look at me. I probably don't like the way you look either. Josh F. Edit: I also wanted to add, that those Adida's warmup pants can easily cost $30-$50 and if that T-Shirt is an Affliction shirt it can run into the $70 range. Just because their not what you think is fancy, doesn't mean they are cheap.

Golf is a game of confidence. Now answer me one question, Do you feel like a million bucks when you put on Adidas Warm up pants, and a t shirt to go bust out 18 holes? No. You feel like a 15 dollar rack at walmart.

Honestly? No, when I dress like that, I feel awkward. If *you* feel confident wearing "golf attire," then great -- I welcome you to dress to play your best. I am most confident when I wear something that *I* am personally comfortable in. And that's the reason I argue against specific dress codes. It's great for you if you happen to be comfortable with that dress, but as is clear, not everyone falls into that category.

I think these arguments fall flat when debating what's "good for the game." Good for your game? Ok. Good for my game? Nobody but me can tell me what clothes make me feel confident...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I believe feeling comfortable leads to far more confidence than having a light wallet. Heck if you feel like a million bucks like that, I bet you feel like a trillion bucks in a Valentino business suit. Imagine how many under par you would shoot then. Your confidence would be off the charts!

If a $100 outfit makes your wallet light I recommend playing disc golf. Its free and you dont have to wear a shirt, you will love being able to wear all those cut off jean shorts in your closet too.

Honestly? No, when I dress like that, I feel awkward. If *you* feel confident wearing "golf attire," then great -- I welcome you to dress to play your best. I am most confident when I wear something that *I* am personally comfortable in. And that's the reason I argue against specific dress codes. It's great for you if you happen to be comfortable with that dress, but as is clear, not everyone falls into that category.

I think if you bought a quality golf outfit you would feel comfortable, the material is extremely comfortable and made for golf. It absorbs sweat , my pants absorb moisture and are extremely easy to move around in. I guess it might not be comfortable if your wife buys you the dunhams discount rack but quality golf attire is made for comfort and weather conditions not for looks alone. Wearing Jeans to a golf course is just as disrespectful as wearing jeans to wedding

I think these arguments fall flat when debating what's "good for the game." Good for your game? Ok. Good for my game? Nobody but me can tell me what clothes make me feel confident...

I'm pretty sure (100% certain) the original question wasn't asking wether dress codes would help or hinder any particular golfers game. It was more of a philisophical are dress codes "good for the

game of golf in general?"
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Must have missed this when it started.

I voted yes for this because I generally think there needs to be some sort of standard and I happen to think this excludes jeans, t-shirts etc etc. For what it's worth, this usually means I'm better dressed on a golf course than at work .

At the end of the day though, clubs can have whatever rules they like (more or less) so if you want to join a private club or play a public one, adhere to their rules. If you don't like these rules, feel free to go elsewhere.

Personally I'm a bit bored of the modern, " I can do whatever the Hell I want and hang the consequences" society that we're gradually becoming.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

If a $100 outfit makes your wallet light I recommend playing disc golf. Its free and you dont have to wear a shirt, you will love being able to wear all those cut off jean shorts in your closet too.

I enjoy Disc Golf as well. However, it sickens me that someone feels that because $100 may be a significant amount of money to someone that they should disregard playing a game that they enjoy.

I started playing golf with a hand me down set of clubs, and cheap balls. I wore jeans, basketball shorts, t-shirts, whatever. I played on smaller Par-3 courses and learned how to repair by ball marks and clean up after myself. I learned how to be careful walking on greens with my hand me down golf shoes I got. I like spending time out doors with friends and trying to improve and do better than the last time I played. I now play at a few local municipal courses that don't have dress codes and find that it in no way effects my game or anyone elses. We all enjoy our time out. Sure there are @sshats that treat others and the course crappy, but their dress doesn't dictate this. If my dress bothers you, you are more than welcome to keep playing at your CC courses where you can pay to be a member and demand that people dress how you feel is appropriate. Otherwise, mind you own business and let others enjoy the game regardless of their state of dress. BTW, I don't condone breaking rules or the I'll do what I want attitude. I do condone the letting my money speak for me and will play the courses that share my ideas on dress, I suggest you do the same. Josh F.

I totally believe in dressing appropriately. But you know what I really hate is how overpriced most golf apparel is. I refuse to pay over 50 bucks for a shirt that I'm going to sweat like a pig in. The other day I was in a pro shop and saw this really sweet windshirt........$160!! c'mon! I only buy stuff that's on sale or on the clearance rack. I have some really nice things but I have to scrounge for them.

I dont belive dress codes are good nor bad for the game. Its a personal judgement.

Ive found that people who play the game primarily for sport or for fun dont care much about dress, just being comfortable. There are people who take golf as more of a culture and a way of fraternization. Ive found those are the people who hang up the most on dress. Sometimes the two overlap in one person or another and you get a mix a both. So its never black and white.

I consider myself more of a sportsman when it comes to golf. Im only interested in the game and playing the game, not so much the social customs and idiocincracies. The only thing that matters to me is treating others with the proper respect as people and flowing proper golf etiquette. I dont care less if there is some guy out there wearing plus fours and a bowtie, if he doesnt follow etiquette he is going to piss me off more than a guy wearing cargo shorts and a tank top. But thats just me.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I dont belive dress codes are good nor bad for the game. Its a personal judgement.

Good post... interesting ideas and in keeping with my feelings on the topic.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think dress code is good for the game. I look at this way: the dress code is part of the game. I realize that back in the day the only people who played golf were the wealthy and famous and they would dress that way because it was proper then. Perhaps today it's starting to shift and society is starting to accept non-traditional golf attire acceptable. I just think it would be funny to see Tiger wearing a MJ jersey with a pair of Nike shorts and some golf style sandals. I guess I just have a traditionalist feel for the game. I actually like buying golf clothes and looking athletic but classy when i play...perhaps it's because I like the t-shirt and cargo shorts when i am not at work and on the golf course.

I feel as though it's part of the game as is Football jersey's and baseball uniforms are to their respected sports.
  • Upvote 1

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I I just think it would be funny to see Tiger wearing a MJ jersey with a pair of Nike shorts and some golf style sandals.

No it wouldnt be just funny, it would be f**kin awesome...

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Exactly my sentiments. I can respect the fact that some people like to dress nice to play. And that is great for them. I would much rather play with the person who is friendly, respectful, and follows ettiquette regardless of what they wear. Hell, I'd play with someone wearing the Borat singlet if they were respectful, and I'd probably laugh and have a good time too.

Josh

I feel as though it's part of the game as is Football jersey's and baseball uniforms are to their respected sports.

At the professional level, I have no problem with a dress code. Same as I agree with the dress codes in football, baseball, & basketball. Their is a certain amount of professionalism you are expected to hold yourself to when being paid to play any sport.

However, I am not required to were a basketball uniform to play a pickup game down at the YMCA, or a football jersey/pants/helmet to play a game of football on Thanksgiving with my Uncles/Cousins. I think this is where some people get confused. Not everyone who enjoy's golf is prospecting to become a pro or even amateur golfer. They do it in their spare time for fun and enjoyment. I would never say that there should be a rule that you aren't allowed to wear dress clothes on the golf course any more than I would ban cargo's or jeans etc. You wear what makes you comfortable, I'll where what I feel comfortable in(assuming it is appropriate, no swear words, exposed privates, etc). Josh

Exactly my sentiments. I can respect the fact that some people like to dress nice to play. And that is great for them. I would much rather play with the person who is friendly, respectful, and follows ettiquette regardless of what they wear. Hell, I'd play with someone wearing the Borat singlet if they were respectful, and I'd probably laugh and have a good time too.

...are you kidding??? exposed man-ass is where i draw the line..
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

I'm pretty sure (100% certain) the original question wasn't asking wether dress codes would help or hinder any particular golfers game. It was more of a philisophical are dress codes "good for the

Ok, well then it's an easy trick question. The abstract "game of golf" has no need for clothes, and therefore no need for dress codes. I don't even know whether the "game of golf" could wear dockers...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!