IGNORED

Running, distance or speed.

beach_golfer
Note:Β This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Are there any runners in this forum? I run about 3-4 times a week any where from 1.5 to 4 miles at a time. I have hit a wall running the 1.5 mile for time at 9:55, this is ok but I would like to improve. Other than a parachute does anyone have any suggestions for increasing speed? Also I just wanted to see how many here are runnners.

What's in my bag?
Driver Rapture 9.0* Oban Devotion 75G.
5 wood 904F
Hybrid Rapture 21*
Irons MP-60'SWedges Vokey SM 58 oil can. 54* TOUR-W, Solus 51*Putter Squareback You have to go out, but you don't have to come back.

I have really got to get back in to running, when I did it I did a 5 minute warm up jog to my golf course and ran about 10 holes then sort of jogged/stumbled back home and wondered if jogging was really for me.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I run 2-3 times a week. nice hilly roads over here

. the route I run is, I'd guess, about 8-9 miles there and back.
Other than a parachute does anyone have any suggestions for increasing speed?

What the heck could a parachute help you with!! (I'm thinking big floppy piece of material to slow you down when you fall out of a plane)

To increase speed I just do sprints. Short ones. Lots of them.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I run 2-3 times a week. nice hilly roads over here

Resistance training mate

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Resistance training mate

I prefer to use a hill.

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Hills would be nice but I live on the NC coast here and hills are few and far between. And last time I used a 'chute I thought I killed myself. I have been sprinting but it seems to decrease my endurance somewhat not sure how though.

What's in my bag?
5 wood 904F
Hybrid Rapture 21*
Irons MP-60'SWedges Vokey SM 58 oil can. 54* TOUR-W, Solus 51*Putter Squareback You have to go out, but you don't have to come back.

I run 3-4 times a week, 6.2 miles twice and usually 3.1 the other one or two times. I have never run for speed because I'm not a competitive runner, however I have run in local events for charity or for the fun of it. When I was younger I used to run uphill to aid in both cardio and speed. 9:55 is pretty decent for 1.5 miles, I'd say you are doing pretty well.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Hills would be nice but I live on the NC coast here and hills are few and far between. And last time I used a 'chute I thought I killed myself. I have been sprinting but it seems to decrease my endurance somewhat not sure how though.

Because your not use to putting that much effort it, this is when the saying "no pain no gain" actually means something, you have to break through the original barrier of 'struggling' before you start to see the improvements.

Because your not use to putting that much effort it, this is when the saying "no pain no gain" actually means something, you have to break through the original barrier of 'struggling' before you start to see the improvements.

It's definetly not because I'm not used to putting that much effort in. It was because I ran 3 miles on the beach and it ripped the H#ll out of my calves. I have just hit a wall and can't push through for some reason. I don't struggle with my runs, I feel great when I do it I am just at a speed plateau.

What's in my bag?
5 wood 904F
Hybrid Rapture 21*

It's definetly not because I'm not used to putting that much effort in. It was because I ran 3 miles on the beach and it ripped the H#ll out of my calves. I have just hit a wall and can't push through for some reason. I don't struggle with my runs, I feel great when I do it I am just at a speed plateau.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across making you sound useless, I was simply saying that level of resistance (provided by parachute) will be a lot higher than that offered by different types of resistance from different surfaces that you run on.

It sounds like you have the endurance down so at least once a week I would start running pyramid intervals on a track. 100m,200m,400,800,mile, 800m, 400,200,100m to work on your speed relative to the 1.5 mile time you want to improve upon. It's my least favorite work out but it seems to work the best for my endurance speed other than hills.

I'm a lacrosse player so regardless of wether I like it or not I have to run. Right now I'm at a 5:45 mile and have hit a wall, kind of frustrating.

Also instead of a parachute you can try leg weights, they work pretty well.

Hoofer Lite
Burner 10.5* S - Flex
I3 3 wood, UST Proforce 65 Gold S-Flex shaft
Idea Pro Gold 3H S - Flex
Forged Blade Irons Tour Black Satin Wedge 52*/10* Vokey Oil Can 56*/10* Forged Wedge (60*/12*) Studio Design 1.5 with CS Pro Plat finish Pro V1 balls

Speed is completely being misinterpreted here. Speed is for quick intervals not distance. Speed in a 40 yard dash isnt going to help you run a mile in a quicker time... two totally different types of muscles (short and fast twitch).

Now if you want to run a faster time in a mile or some other longer distance... run a series of 1/4 and 1/2 miles at full speed. You are basically running these until failure. This isnt something I would even suggest unless you are younger and need to run a faster mile. If you are just running for exercise... be content with the time you run or just push yourself harder by developing checkpoints with time intervals.

A parachute isnt going to help you run a faster mile... that is only useful for people that want to develop power when they run.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I'm a lacrosse player so regardless of wether I like it or not I have to run. Right now I'm at a 5:45 mile and have hit a wall, kind of frustrating.

Never use leg weights... all you would be doing is damaging your knees and ankles. You need endurance... not speed.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I am more of a speed runner. I like short to middle distances. The longest that I run is 400m. I ran in Middle School, but I chose not to run in my freshman year (sophomore now) But may run in my junior and senior year.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Well I cannot give you much help on improving your time as I'me more of a short sprinter 100m-200m is my race. Ime 14 and run for my school my wall is 25-seconds I cannot seem to beat it!

New found hobby!

The best thing to work on is stride length. Most people roughly stride at the same rate, so having longer strides will make you faster for the same amount of effort.

I used to do this by running down a slight slope, which forces you to stride longer. It was a while back but I'm sure you had to be careful as if the slope is too steep you end up causing damage to yourself.

As you don't have hills I guess you can't do this, but stride length is definitely the key.

It sounds like you have the endurance down so at least once a week I would start running pyramid intervals on a track. 100m,200m,400,800,mile, 800m, 400,200,100m to work on your speed relative to the 1.5 mile time you want to improve upon. It's my least favorite work out but it seems to work the best for my endurance speed other than hills.

As a former college 800 runner, personal best 146.4, I agree speed work helps but I think pyramids are difficult for an inexperienced runner. Repeat intervals at a set distance, 200 meters is ideal in the beginning. Even Sprint the straights jog the curves on a track isn't half bad. Don't focus on maximum effort, focus on turnover with relaxation and good form. Most workouts should not exceed 45 minutes of actual running. Make sure increase is gradual and include some cross training or running on grass to avoid shin splints.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note:Β This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!