IGNORED

Playing less, practicing more, huge improvement!

King Cobra II
Note: This thread is 5737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm spending far less time on the course and way more time at the range. At the range I hit irons for about 30% of the bucket, hit drives and 3 wood for the rest. Then I chip for about an hour and sometimes I putt (but the putting green is deathly slow, so not always) and my game is improving so much faster. My short game is getting solid, and my driver is finally not the weakest link.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Awesome! I definetly need to start going to the driving range more because I suck with my driver and my 3-wood.
Im getting better with my 3-wood though, but I still hit a huge slice with my driver.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

You are spot on. I also find that when going to the range my full swing time is much better served when I go with a plan of what I'm working on (Balance, tempo, set-up). Has the range time been a benefit because of just getting some extra reps or was it something specific that you were working on? Do you use specific drills when you practice?

PP

I have always liked going to the range to keep the rust off if I am not playing frequently, however I found that if I go to the range the day before I play and hit the ball well for some reason I play terrible the next day. I doubt the two are related but it seems to happen quite a bit. So today I went to the range and hit the ball horribly, so I guess that means I'll have a good round tomorrow . I do feel that the range helps me focus more on improving overall as opposed to when on the course I just want a quick fix.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

You are spot on. I also find that when going to the range my full swing time is much better served when I go with a plan of what I'm working on (Balance, tempo, set-up). Has the range time been a benefit because of just getting some extra reps or was it something specific that you were working on? Do you use specific drills when you practice?

Most of my "drills" are short game only style. I have incorporated a drill though for my full shots, tee shots in particular. Most people say that the people who only go and hit a driver are idiots, but that's where I'm weakest. I hit my irons to keep them sharp, but it's really the drive that I'm looking for. Anyways it's a drill you can find on you tube I forget the guys name just type in power golf swing or long drive, he's a 4 time long drive champ. Basically you take two club shafts (I use those reflective sticks you put in the snow) and put them right behind and in front of your front and back foot. Take your full swing. If either hip hits the pole, your swaying to much. This is helping with my power, and is useful in terms of getting the club in the right plane. Good luck

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

You have words of wisdom. I usually play once a week and do not practice except for 1/2 hour before I play practicing putting green. I day I met a friend at the driving range and hit balls, the next day, I played my second best round.

so, words of wisdom, play less, practice more and see the result in your game.

My weakest link is getting up and down around the green and lowering my putts per round.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Practice makes a huge difference.

I recently switched to golfing lefty at the beginning of last year, only played a few rounds really but was enjoying the game after a significant layoff. Yes, I was golfing a lot as a righty back in the early 90's until competitive softball became my passion.

When I came back to the game and had pretty much retired from playing 100-200 softball games a year, I figured there was no reason to golf from the other side anymore as I did not have to worry so much about messing with my swing.

Bought the clubs hit a few buckets then went to the course, it was tough for me to break 100 but ever so often there were flashes of talent, hit a 42 on the back of my 4th round last year after hitting a 54 on the front.

This year I am playing a lot more with a large focus on practice especially on wedges and short game as I had 0 touch as a lefty starting out. I was basically useless from inside 120 yds. Found a nice driving range with grass tees and a short par 3 that can be fairly barren at times, so I can spend 3-4 hours there hitting balls into the tee, then backing out 20...30...40...50 yds and practice all differnt shots from all different lies. I will then usually circle the outer portion of the green with 10 balls and my goal is a 2 putt... no 3's!

My game inside 100 yds has dramatically improved over the last month and was a huge reason why I hit a 39 the other day on my front 9 and a 43 on the back.

Practice makes a world of difference

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

True and not true. I think there's got to be a balance between practise at the range and playing on the course. If I only practise at the range and don't play much my game gets worse. Probably because at the range you have "perfect" conditions. Playing on the course is different every time ... and much more difficult (bad lies, rough, uphill/downhill slopes, bunkers, water hazards, etc...). Of course, you should also work on your technique at the range, but as I said, there should be a good balance. For me it's about 50% at the range and 50% playing.
Gear
Driver: G10 10,5° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20°/3, 23°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

I read a lot - practice = driving range - in these posts.

I honestly can say i spent more time this year on the putting green (including chipping) than on the driving range - and i´m happy that i did it this way. My ball striking got much better this year still - but putting has a steeper learning curve and the effect of practicing putting to become better takes way longer than hitting a ball "semi" solid.

But i also play alot - for the simple reason - the range is dead flat - the courses arent, and you come across many spots where you just can hit so many variances of shots or have to adjust your shot to the given surroundings you never will come across when you only practice on the range/putting green.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

This has worked for me also. I go to range with only my short irons and spend the entire time working on them. I like to try and hit 10 shots at a green and make them all before I move to another club.

maybe the range is something i should look into. lol. i haven't been to the range in probably 2 months, but i've probably played 20+ rounds in those 2 months. but i can assure you that i'll be going to the range very soon to practice my new swing. "stack and tilt"

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Great course by my place has large buckets for 6 bucks. Half of the bucket goes to irons, and the other half usually goes to whatever needs the most work. Mostly chipping.

Big Cart Bag:

R7 Quad 11.5*
200Steel 5wood 15*
Baffler Hybrid 18* R7 Draw Irons 3-AW Tour Action 56* / 60* Dual Force 990 Pro V1/x

The saying is true, practice makes perfect. When playing on the course there is no time to fix the mistakes in your swing and other areas. When you have the time to hit more shots you get more confident in your skills on the course and play better.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I generally played my best golf when I was in college due to our practice regime.

2 1/2 hour practices every day ...
45 minutes of it was shots 100 yards and in.
45 minutes full swings.
1 hour chipping and putting.

i miss that .. my long game is great now and my weakest part of my game is my putting.

Sean

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11S 9 degree.  Set to upright 8 degree.  Aldila RIP Alpha 60s X flex shaft.

3 wood: TaylorMade 13 degree RocketBallz (coming shortly).. X Flex Matrix X Conn.

Hybrids: 2iron / 4iron Taylor Burner Rescue.

Irons: 5 - PW 2008 Model Year Titleist AP2

Wedges: 49*, 54* 60* Cleveland 588 Rusties.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Long.

Balls: Titleist Pro VX

Bag: Titleist Black / Red Staff

I find that to be true as well with my game. I hit a large bucket (109 balls) running from my 56-5i getting progressively steeper with my irons. I drop 10 balls on the mat and work that club, then will drop a couple more on trouble clubs. I want to hit my 5i and 6i more so I spend time there.

Then its my hybrid, 3w, and driver with a medium bucket (75 balls).
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

Glad to hear that you're experiencing positive results from practice. Me too. Golf is definitely a game of putting TWICE as much in as you get back!

This year (for me) has been spent taking stock of where my shots are going and practicing on those areas of my game as well. Early in the year, I put in a lot of work around the greens and putting. Results have been favorable with up-and-downs being made about 30% (realistically) of the time. Was shooting for 50%, but that's a pretty lofty goal!

The other area that needed big improvement was putting the ball in play as far off the tee as I can get. Still a work in progress. Works on the range, doesn't translate well during rounds, unfortunately.

Iron play has not been a real problem over the years for me. I can usually hit par-3 greens and put 7 iron and down on greens for the most part. When I miss, the short-game practice takes over.

If you want to shoot lower scores, practice is the only way that I know of to get there.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have only played about 3 times this summer but am practicing probably 5 days a week. Unbelievable improvements for me. Almost enough confidence to move to course full time. HA

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

for real!

when i spend my time on the range and at/around the practice green, i see massive improvements in my game.

the ideal scenario for me is :

PRACTICE/PLAY DAY
3:00 PM

20 minutes chipping
20 minutes putting
20 minutes lobs/sand shots

4:00 PM

15 minutes wedges/irons
15 minutes woods/driver

4:30 PM

Play a round of 18

PRACTICE DAY

ANYTIME

25 minutes chipping
25 minutes putting
25 minutes lob/sand shots

25 minutes wedges/irons
25 minutes woods/driver

and then do it again later in the afternoon.

Note: This thread is 5737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!