IGNORED

best major of 2008?

Kevin04
Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you guys think? Maybe because it's fresh in the head but I have to say the PGA Championship was my favourite and a great kick in the groin for the doubters who call it a minor major.
There was alot of talk going into the PGA about this tournament being the worst major etc from some of the press & media.

Overall, I thought all four majors were very exciting and different in so many ways but for some reason - this one sticks out for me, maybe because it was Padraig - Sergio all over again.

Masters - Always great to see this as it's the 'start' of the golfing season for many part-time golfer, especially if you live in a cold part of Europe where winter tees rule the roost, it's the start of the golf season. Immelman was brilliant throughout the whole tournament and desereved his win, although it was not very close - it was great seeing him win esp after his treatment in december for a tumour.

US Open - Rocco-Tiger, Tiger's 18ft putt to secure the playoff, all very dramatic and the excitement of a monday. Tiger with is injury and Rocco just coming across as exciting and fresh even at the age of 44 or what not and Tiger claiming the prize before hitting the bench for 2008.

Open Championship - Greg Norman, 3 rounds of magic from the shark and especially when he was planning on it being a warmup for the Senior Opens and cutting his honeymoon short to compete. A very nice final day of viewing with Padraig digging in and coming from a few shots off to claim the prize.

PGA - low scoring similar to the Open, Sergio v Padraig part II - Padraig grinds it out again with outstanding golf, this was the major for me, maybe because living in Europe and there is something very nice about watching golf until 1am with a bar filled with golf fantatics but it had sergio's errors, padraigs putting and ben curtis putting in a shift. great tournament and i think i'll remember this tournament the most from 08

how about yourselves?

The U.S. Open was the best Major in 2008: a magnificent effort for the record books by the best player in the history of the game; a memorable playoff with a worthy opponent; an extraordinary effort made by the champion under duress of physical injury. All in all, it was the stuff of which great stories are told, embelished and made legend.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

US Open easily for me. The emergence of Tiger Woods despite his knee and Rocco Mediate made it awesome.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I could not agree more. My boss kept me up to date on the scores on the Monday playoff. I got off at 3:00 and went to the bank. It was on the TV at the bank and the security guard was enthralled with the match. Everyone was in shock at how close it had become. I got home in time to see Rocco and Tiger tee off on 18 and watched it with my eyes glued until it was over. Maybe the best major I've ever watched.

For my money:

T-1 US Open and PGA
3 British Open
4 Masters

The battle between Woods and Mediate was an excellent one, as was today's between Herrington and Garcia. I think Padraid played better golf today than Tiger did on Sunday or Monday at the US Open.

I have to say, it would be difficult to pick my favourite Major of the season. But I can easily say which was my least favourite... The Masters.

The Masters this year was boring, no? Then the US Open was an enthralling affair, the Open was epic (as usual) then the two awesome Europeans going at it down the stretch made it simply superb to watch, with shotmaking to match Tigers, at the PGA.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I will have to go with the US Open, Tigers battle with Rocco was epic and when you add that to the knee injury it really was amazing to watch, I almost thought rocco had it as well!

The Open was good this year, although not overly memorable apart from the fact Paddy won two Opens in a row, although this is my favourite major to watch I don't think it stood out as the best major this year.

I did not really enjoy the Masters this year, I think that the course is too hard and does not allow for the sort of golf that you expect from Augusta.

I really enjoyed the PGA this year the course was tough and those players in contention played really well (in my opinion). Paddy played awesome, as did Sergio who was a bit unlucky in my books.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

You know it was a great year when the Masters was the biggest disappointment.
The Masters was still great to watch.
The PGA might've been the best tournament to watch, everyone making putts when they needed to.
The US Open had the best storyline though.
Broken Tiger and formerly broken Rocco.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I don't get how anyone could say that the U.S. Open wasn't the best major of the year. Tiger (knee injury and all), holds off Rocco (44 years young). Also, they played 91 holes! Kudos to Rocco to last that long in the ring with Tiger.

The US Open !

In the voyage :

905R 9.5° NV75 s
SS-03 14° VS proto 80 s
Idea Pro 18° VS proto 80 s690 mb DG S300Vokey 200 54.10Vokey Spin Milled 60.04Studio Select Newport 2 34' One Platinum

I would have to agree that the US Open was the best major this year, IMO. I had to bring a TV in to work because I didn't want to miss the outcome.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I would have to go:

1: US Open
2: PGA Championship
3: British
4: Masters (mainly because I didn't watch much of it)

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*, Aldila NV Stiff
Fairway Wood: System 2 Midsize 3W
Hybrid: Idea Boxer a3Irons: Bomber Steel Plus 3: 4-PW (Callaway Clone)Wedges: 588 Tour Action BeCu 53* Gap/56* SandPutter: Karsten Anser 2 34"Balls: Back to the drawing board, experimenting with Gamers,...

The best golf The US Open ,Tiger was "The Man" when It mattered (again)

The Open Championship wasnt much fun this year due to the weather but paddy's 5 wood on the 17th made up for watching 4 days of hacking!

The PGA pretty average stuff ,great finnish, well done Paddy (again)

The Masters booooooring safety play,Unfortunatly those that had a go paid the price.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I'm obviously thrilled for Padraig but in terms of the spectacle it had to be the US Open. Half my office at work were crammed round the tv in the coffee dock with baited breath.... real gladitorial stuff.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

The PGA was, for a change, a great tournament to watch. I spent Thursday and Friday online working in-between shots.

Rating them this year is pretty easy:

US Open - Not the greatest nor longest playoff major (for another viewpoint http://iquestgolf.com/blog/?p=9 ) but a good match-up with Tiger and Rocco on the beautiful California Coast.

PGA - Oakland Hills was set up for a great test. I'm a big fan of Donald Ross courses. The finals couldn't have been any better with Padraig, Sergio, and Ben vying for the cup. Would have been nice for the Ohio boy to take it but a couple of his mental mistakes only serves as a reminder that you learn from experience. Same for Sergio...

The Open - Padraig is a player. Good to see Norman back playing golf. Links golf is still where the game of golf is the supreme test... whether the weather be fair or the weather be not!

Masters - Good tournament. Not magical.

Still some good golf to see and play. See you in Louisville!

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

The U.S. Open, then Padraig's two majors on pretty even footing, then the Masters at the bottom.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!