IGNORED

How do you get your kids to play golf with you?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 5734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 13 year old son is a fairly good golfer, he's had golf lessons and has been playing on and off since he was 7 years old, he's played 18 holes 3 time and is going into High School in a couple of weeks. I am trying to get him out on the golf course, but he's more interested and involved with Basketball. What do you recommend I do beside bribe him?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Let him play basketball, if that's what he really loves, dont push him into golf.

If you start to do that he won't enjoy it. Golf isn't for everyone. Maybe you can get him to play atleast twice a month or so.

Like you said he may be trying to pursue something in basketball. Support your sons choices.

Of course im not a father, but I'll give you this answer from the Teen perspective.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Just golf without him and when you come home make it seem like it was the funnest time you ever had. (which most likely won't be a lie) Maybe get some money involved. Play a little wolf. lol

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Do you guys ride or walk? All I have to say to my 15 y.o. is we can ride and you can DRIVE some of the time. He's a responsible kid so we never end up in the lake or rolling the golf car!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Reminds me of when I was around 15 years old. My Dad was always trying to get me to play with him and I would have nothing to do with it. One Saturday morning, at about 6am he comes into my bedroom and says "we are playing golf this morning, 7am tee time, get up and get ready now." So I did, and loved it. Even got a birdie that day. Played for the rest of the summer when I could.

Then, like your son I became heavily involved in other sports and played maybe once or twice over the next 11-12 years. Finally started playing about 4 years ago and hooked ever since.

As mentioned above, you can't force it on him. Let him play the sport he wants or he will end up resenting you and maybe golf as well. Basketball and other more physically demanding sports are young person's sports. Golf however, you can play for the rest of your life regardless of you physcial limitations (to some extent). So there's plenty of time to get him involved.

My Dad was a forceful guy, and pretty damn scary as well. Not sure if his approach was the best but it worked.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, and as irony would have it, now I'm the one constantly trying to get my Dad back out on the golf course and he is giving me the cold shoulder. Maybe I should bust into his house one morning and demand that he get up and get ready to play, or else.

Me being 16, i'd say let the kid play what he wants, just don't be shy on encouraging golf and showing the best sides of it. He is only 13 his patience can grow within even just a year, so theres good chances, but if you force it and too much that'll backfire extremely. Give it some time and take him out, for me it's as much as my dad asking me lol.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

I would simply ask him. Tell him that you understand that playing hoops is his preference but you really would love to play a round of golf with him. Make it a father and son type of day. A round of golf followed by going out to eat. Let him know that you're more interested in playing a round with him than you are of him playing more often.

Who knows? He might have a great time and want to do it more often.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I am currently 14 and the best way to do it is to not force it on him.

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

kids always want to please you. When I was 11 my dad took me to the range and forced a club into my hands. I hit balls, but hated doing it. He forced me to come with him to the 1st time he played a course, I hit 2 balls and just walked the rest of the day hating everything that I was doing. He kept on shoving it into me to give up baseball and basketball to play golf.
When I got into high school he said: you're not tall enough to play basketball after high school. Just play golf. I didn't pick up a club and got myself on the course until last year.

Just tell your kids that if they're interested in playing golf that you'll support them if they'd like to play the game. Let them make the decision so you know that they love it and they're not doing it for your approval.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

You are wise to ask for advice here.

I've learned a lot reading the responses.

I'm going to try very....very hard to make it a fun experience for my son.

It's so hard not to push it on him, though.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Thanks for all the great advise, I am touched you all took the time to respond,

Thanks again,
Kaz

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

When I was around your son's age (I'm 19 now) my Dad really wanted me to play golf seriously, but understood that to me baseball was more important and never forced the game on me. Up until this year I focused on baseball and only played golf maybe 5-10 times a year. However, now that I'm in college and not playing baseball competitively I've started playing golf a lot more, and I can tell my Dad is really happy about it. I would say whatever you do, just don't force him to play. Encourage him to pursue whatever he wants, whether it be basketball, golf or something else. Just be patient and someday hopefully you will have a great playing partner.

909 D2 9.5° Driver - Diamana Blue Board Stiff
F-60 3W - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
CLK FLI-HI 17°/20° Hybrids - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
MP-57 4-PW - True Temper Dynalite Gold Superlite S300
MP-T 54°/12° & 60°/8° - Rifle Spinner Bettinardi C-03 Putter Pro V1x

Don't force it on him. My dad is a pretty good golfer. He played in college, and really wanted to get me into the game from a young age. He took me to the driving range a lot when I was 5-10. I never expressed much interest. I just liked watching my dad hit his driver "the big dog" as he called it back then because it went far lol.

But once I got to be age 14, I really started to enjoy golf. It was too slow for me when I was younger. I needed a faster pace game, such as basketball, or football. Those were the sports I played. Even tennis. I couldn't enjoy golf. I didn't know WHY people liked the sport. I used to say it's too slow, too boring, I hate waiting for people. I'm not playing.

Then something clicked as a 14 year old, and I started to play. I got better and got the golf bug. Now I've been playing for two full years, and I'm down to a 11.5 handicap and play in a bunch of Jr. tournaments and on my H.S. golf team.

Don't force it on him. He'll pick it up later when he's more mature (you have to be mature to appreciate the game) or he'll just prefer basketball or whatever else he has a hobby in.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I wish my dad would have showed interest in playing golf with me at your sons age. Hell even at 26 I wish my dad would show interest in playing golf with me. I got my first set of clubs for my 12th or 13th birthday and started taking lessons. He never once asked if I wanted to go play. I would have been all over it if he had. When I was 15 he moved to Kentucky (my parents are divorced). He would come up a few times a year. Then my senior year he moved to Southern Ohio. I had asked him a couple of times when he was coming back "home" if he would bring his clubs and wanted to play but he always said there wouldn't be time. So I gave up asking him. Hopefully your son will realize how much it means to you for him to play and he will play with you. I would just offer him everytime you are going and he might surprise you one of these times and take you up on your offer. If he keeps turning you down just say ok maybe next time and not push the subject any further.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

Buy him one of these:

I am afraid to show him these pictures! too much bling and money for my taste.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

I wish my dad would have showed interest in playing golf with me at your sons age. Hell even at 26 I wish my dad would show interest in playing golf with me. I got my first set of clubs for my 12th or 13th birthday and started taking lessons. He never once asked if I wanted to go play. I would have been all over it if he had. When I was 15 he moved to Kentucky (my parents are divorced). He would come up a few times a year. Then my senior year he moved to Southern Ohio. I had asked him a couple of times when he was coming back "home" if he would bring his clubs and wanted to play but he always said there wouldn't be time. So I gave up asking him. Hopefully your son will realize how much it means to you for him to play and he will play with you. I would just offer him everytime you are going and he might surprise you one of these times and take you up on your offer. If he keeps turning you down just say ok maybe next time and not push the subject any further.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

My 13 year old son is a fairly good golfer, he's had golf lessons and has been playing on and off since he was 7 years old, he's played 18 holes 3 time and is going into High School in a couple of weeks. I am trying to get him out on the golf course, but he's more interested and involved with Basketball. What do you recommend I do beside bribe him?

He has to do what he really wants to do. You have exposed him to golf in the right ways. When my son was 12, and had made the All Star traveling team in baseball, he told me that the next year, he would have to choose between golf and baseball. I told him that he had to do what he truly wanted to do, and his Mom and I would support him, no matter what his decision was. He knew that I loved golf, and was hoping that would be his choice. That fall, he told us his answer: golf. His buddies wanted him to keep playing baseball, but he decided what he wanted to do. He has never regretted that decision. Support your son in whatever he wants to do. Your entire family will be happier that way.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!