IGNORED

Michelle Wie and the Canadian Open

iacas
Note: This thread is 5736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
So all the final rounds are now complete. Wie has finished tied for 12 position.

Uhm, I'm not sure what's going on, but she won $36,475 for her T12 finish. Right now that puts her at 136th on the LPGA Tour money list. So how is it that I heard a top-25 will get her unlimited exemptions next year by finishing top 120 on the LPGA Tour money list? She's well out of that now unless, somehow, 20+ people ahead of her are all ineligible or something.

So what's up with that? Did I hear wrong (and T12 is much better than a top-25 finish) or what?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Uhm, I'm not sure what's going on, but she won $36,475 for her T12 finish.

I'd forgotten that she's already earned $26,288 (Jamie Farr $4,831, Wegmans $18,887, Fields Open $2,570). So now she's up to $62,763, which would put her at 114th. Given that she's inside the top 120 that way, I guess it's a waiting game since there's another event in August (the Safeway), two in September (Bell Micro, Navistar), and five (??) in October. The ADT isn't even until November 20!

So it seems like there's plenty of time for her to get bumped out, right? Or maybe once you're in the top 120 you can earn unlimited sponsor exemptions, so maybe she can get unlimited exemptions for the rest of 2008?? Or no? I'm still confused.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, I just found the link to her current earnings.

But now I'm even more confused... You'd think she could be pushed down some places in three or four events. But then again maybe the people below her are not eligible for (some or all of) the remaining events or something...?
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I think the Canadian was her last exemption. Do they have Monday Qualifiers for LPGA events?

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

• Administrator
I think the Canadian was her last exemption.

Yeah, we're not really talking about that.

Edit: We're talking about what a possible top-120 finish on the money list gets her, because I remember (I believe) hearing or reading that a top-120 finish gets you unlimited sponsor exemptions (not just six) in 2009. We know she's done for the year. No need to keep repeating that.

If she finishes top four (no ties), she may earn her 2009 LPGA Tour card (top 80 on the money list)

In your original thread, you said she would LIKELY, not DEFINITELY be in the top 120. Not sure where you heard it, but must have depended on where other people finished. Anyway there is still tournament golf to be played; even if she had been in the top 120 after this one, it was unlikely she would have stayed there. At any rate, you did say "Likely." EDIT: Just saw that she got to 114th, I should read all the posts before I post! At any rate, she's there now, and maybe what you heard about unlimited exemptions is true. I however, think that unless you are an exempt player on the tour (that is, I believe, you said top 80 in money) you shouldn't be able to get exemptions to play in all the tournaments (or even be able to). I feel it kind of circumvents the rules.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

• Administrator
I however, think that unless you are an exempt player on the tour (that is, I believe, you said top 80 in money) you shouldn't be able to get exemptions to play in all the tournaments (or even be able to). I feel it kind of circumvents the rules.

Disagree, and this isn't really the thread for that. Sponsors are given a small number of exemptions per tournament to do with what they please.

It's not like they'd be wasted on her. She can play, she brings fans through the gates, and that not only raises the profile of the LPGA Tour but it raises money for charity, too, which is what the tournament directors are after.

According to ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/colum...t&lid;=tab4pos1

After finishing T-12 in what is believed to be her final LPGA start of the season, this may not signal the beginning of the end for Michelle Wie, but it certainly could be the end of the beginning.

According to the LPGA, a nonmember (such as Wie) can earn status for the next season by winning a tournament (the T-12 was her best finish of the season), finishing in the top five on the Duramed Future Tour money list (she has not competed in an event on that tour) or earning enough money in eligible events to rank in the top 80 at season's end. Currently, she has $62,763 in nonmember earnings, which would rank 114th with 10 events still remaining on the schedule.

So, what's left for Wie? Only one option: The last way for a nonmember to earn full status for the next season is through the LPGA Qualifying Tournament. Expect Wie to be in the field come December.

I can't imagine Wie submitting to Q-school. It would be interesting if she did. Might demonstrate a little character. But as I think Erik may have said, she doesn't need LPGA status to play. I imagine her plan will be to continue to play sponsor exemptions when they come (on both tours), work on her game, and otherwise focus on being a Stanford Cardinal for a while.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

Michelle Wie? Who cares? She's rapidly turning into the Anna Kournikova of golf. Maybe she should go model some jewelery somewhere...

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Michelle Wie? Who cares? She's rapidly turning into the Anna Kournikova of golf. Maybe she should go model some jewelery somewhere...

Maybe if you have nothing to input into a discussion you'd do better saying nothing at all...

I can't imagine Wie submitting to Q-school. It would be interesting if she did. Might demonstrate a little character. But as I think Erik may have said, she doesn't need LPGA status to play. I imagine her plan will be to continue to play sponsor exemptions when they come (on both tours), work on her game, and otherwise focus on being a Stanford Cardinal for a while.

I agree. I don't expect to see Wie trying to clear Q-School. College will come first for her for the next few years, I think.

Whats in the bag:

Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Maybe if you have nothing to input into a discussion you'd do better saying nothing at all...

Ooh, thanks for the advice.

Let me re-phrase it for someone who needs it spelled out. Maybe she should concentrate on playing GOLF rather than playing around with sponsors. She's obviously talented but she is getting some seriously dumb advice. If this means she is better off attending the LPGA school then best she gets it done. To be fair, she's obviously making plenty of money but she's taking the p*** out of the sport and her peers which I have no time for whatsoever. The way she's going it'll be Michelle Who in a few years time.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Ooh, thanks for the advice.

I'm sorry if I am appearing obtuse. But I fail to see what either of your two posts have to do with Wies performance in the Canadian Open and its affects on her immediate career...

Whats in the bag:

I''m asking if there are monday qualifiers which would afford additional opportunities to make the top 120 for sponsors exemptions. We are talking in a parallel about the same thing. Thanks for pointing out what we are talking about here. why don't you go through each of the following posts and straighten them out too. You're quite the guy.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

• Administrator
According to ESPN

That's all beside the point. I had heard something like anyone finishing in the top 120 can get unlimited sponsor exemptions the following season.

I think it's well understood she isn't an LPGA Tour member.

That's all beside the point. I had heard something like anyone finishing in the top 120 can get unlimited sponsor exemptions the following season.

Dont you think that if the top 120 situation was indeed true that all of the major sports sites would pick up on it and include it in their articles?

• Administrator
Dont you think that if the top 120 situation was indeed true that all of the major sports sites would pick up on it and include it in their articles?

Probably. But I heard something like that somewhere. They made a big point out of it or something. Oh well - I'm content to reckon either that person was wrong or I was hearing things.

I was very surprised and happy at the generally supportive tone of most of the posts on this subject. The media in general and bloggers seem to take a delight in writing the same old negative comments eg how stupid she is not to sign her card, how its 5,6,7,8 tries at the pga cut without making it and now how she has missed her auto entry into the lpga tour because she didn't make 2nd and on and on. Not that she beat what a 100 plus regular pros? Not that she could easily have won the DQ event. I don't know what the problem is with these critics, what on earth has she done to deserve all this nastiness, she has never even played a seasons tour to get in the swing of things, she's just a part timer first at school then in college. Someone called it bordering on cruelty

I'm sure she would have liked to have won in Canada but maybe she doesn't even plan to play full time on the lpga tour next year anyway. And why not have a few goes at playing with the guys, shes longer than many. Just what is it that makes this such an affront to the media.

I dont recall a single sporting figure that has been the subject of such a sustained attack of ill will, tell me if you can think of anyone ----
and with all this forecasting of failure she can still play great golf, I'd be paralized with tension

I think there is a silent majority that loves to see her play who wouldnt bother to watch anyone else just look at her galleries and they are there out of genuine interest not attending a freak show. Thanks for coming Michelle someone in the crowd called out.

Ok end of my first post

Note: This thread is 5736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!