IGNORED

Interesting situation

DGart09
Note: This thread is 5720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I recently got done with a round where I was playing with my buddies. We played for just a little bit of money, 10 dollars each and all goes to the winner after 9. All seemed to be going well, except for the end where one of my buddies, the one in charge of the score card, claimed he won. Everyone agreed, except me, because I kept my own score card in secret to try to verify the results. (If I'm giving someone 10 dollars, they should have earned it). However, he claimed he had won, where my score card showed someone else. I did not mention it to him until we were all leaving where I just hinted at knowing he had cheated. He just shrugged his shoulders and left. What would you have done? Called him out right in front of the other two guys? What if it wasn't for money? I guess it's me, but I hate it when people fudge their numbers, even if it is just to make them look better. This game is all about honesty, but I don't know anymore...

In My Ogio Grom Bag:

Driver: Taylormade r7 Superquad 460 CC
3 & 5 Wood: Cobra LD M Speed Offset
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWSIrons: Titleist AP1 4I-GW Sand Wedge: Callaway WarbirdPutter: Odyssey White Hot XG #1 Glove: Footjoy WeathersofShoe: Footjoy PRO Saddle DryjoyBall: Titleist NXT...

In any game where the scores matter, the shots should be counted correctly. My question is, why did you have to keep a scorecard in secret? And why was only one person keeping score? Why didn't everyone keep score? Or at least, if you were riding, each cart should have had a scorecard.

I'd have called him out in front of everyone if you were positive you were right. At the very least, if you gamble with this guy again, I'd make sure everyone kept a scorecard.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I too would have called him out in front of everyone, but if you weren't comfortable doing that, just dropping a hint like, "I also kept score and came up with a different winner, did miss a score somewhere" then compare your scorecards.

I personally don't have a problem with people misrepresenting their scores when they are playing a regular round, because it only comes back to hurt them, but when you are playing for money that is a different story.

What's in my bag

Driver Dymo Squared Str8Fit 9.5
3 wood SZ 3 wood
Irons: 710 AP1Wedges: 52* oilcan, 56* oilcan spin milled Putter: Blue Chip OZ Ball: NXT

This is why it is difficult to play with/against people who make up their own rules (see the entire "Do you really play golf?" thread). Make up your own rules now, suffer later.

The score should have been settled and agreed upon at the end of the round. If you are the only one who noticed a discrepancy, the onus is on you. It may not have been easy, but I would have pointed it out. You don't necessarily have to "call him out" - rather calmy say that you don't remember the score being as it is written and open a dialogue - get everyone else involved.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

That's why you score for eachother and swap cards

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

First and foremost, golf is supposed to be fun and not (usually) a source of income among hobbiests. Secondly, it would be the last time I played with someone who is trying to make money off me by 'fudging' a score!

Not sure if you said he had YOUR score recorded incorrectly (overstated) or you were questioning the accuracy of HIS score, (possibly UNDERstated) on the 'official' card. If he scored YOU incorrectly, you probably should have produced your 'secret card' and corrected the numbers on his 'official' card immediately.

If you decide to play with him again, I'd be keeping HIS score on EVERY hole and let him know this up front.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Called him out" might have been too tough a term, I just used the term the OP said. But yeah Jay's right, everyone should have talked about it before everyone left.

I don't, haven't and "most likely" never will play for money because I'm not good enough and golf costs enough as it is, even another ten is 20 percent of what I would pay to play on a weekend at some of the medium priced courses here.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

This is why it is difficult to play with/against people who make up their own rules (see the entire "Do you really play golf?" thread). Make up your own rules now, suffer later.

Complete agreement.

I've seen even the best of friends get riled up furiously over such situations.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

That's why you score for eachother and swap cards

yep, or have two scorekeepers and all numbers must match.

I would have challenged him on it.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

The reason I kept my own card was due to the that I normally like to keep them and look over them once the season has past in order to determine how I had improved. Normally I will keep my own score but for this round, I thought, what the heck, I will keep everyone else's scores as well. This will be the last time I play for money. This was my first time, and I was hesistant. I'm not a huge fan of bringing money into my hobbies. I enjoy it more when I'm just out there to have fun. However, I thought $10 would be work getting the guys off my back.

Knowing what I know now, I will probably just lay low, not mention it and just not play for money. $40, the pot, is not worth possibly losing a golf partner. I agree with some of the other posters on this board in that, if it is just for fun, his fudging his scores will only hurt him.

In My Ogio Grom Bag:

Driver: Taylormade r7 Superquad 460 CC
3 & 5 Wood: Cobra LD M Speed Offset
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWSIrons: Titleist AP1 4I-GW Sand Wedge: Callaway WarbirdPutter: Odyssey White Hot XG #1 Glove: Footjoy WeathersofShoe: Footjoy PRO Saddle DryjoyBall: Titleist NXT...

It might be too late now to call him out on it, but if the person in question wants to play for money again, I'd def hint at the discrepancy...even if its just to see his reaction (you know - the looking down, avoiding eye contact, etc)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I too would have called him out in front of everyone, but if you weren't comfortable doing that, just dropping a hint like, "I also kept score and came up with a different winner, did miss a score somewhere" then compare your scorecards.

This.

Plain and simple, without being aggressive, you could have simply said, "My scores aren't matching yours, what did I do wrong?" And this would give him the opportunity to admit he made a mistake on one of the holes or show you where you made a mistake on yours. But, it would also be a nice way to double-check each other. Who knows... maybe he made a legitimate mistake?

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

I would have called him out right there. Why did you pay the guy when you knew he cheated? You should only play for money against guys that you know play by the rules and are honest. Some of my best friends I will not play against for money because I have to watch them like a hawk. It really makes for a stressful round. Some of the nicest people in the world cheat like hell on the course when money is on the line.....

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Isnt it quite possible the guy made a simple mistake?

You should have called him on it and found out if he was right or if you were right. Your card might have been wrong if people werent reporting their scores to you.

And keeping your own score card doesnt have to be a secret.

Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around. ~Rick Reilly, "Master Strokes," Sports Illustrated

I think you should have said something like "I got some different scores from you, may I compare our scorecards because I think I got some of the holes wrong?" By saying that you think you are the one at fault he won't get mad or anything, and then when you guys have different scores written down for any of the players you ask that player what he got on that hole.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Note: This thread is 5720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!