IGNORED

My 4 Favorite Pros:: Who Are Your's?

jeffgladchun
Note: This thread is 6093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What!?!? How did you come to that conclusion? I'd say he's one of the most respected players amongst his peers.

I understand that he may be well respected by his peers. His public persona is much different. He comes off as a prick. His comments about Anika playing in the Colonial were assanine and when he pulled out to prove his point was more of a cowardly way of avoiding the hive he had stirred up. It was a big deal and has since been lessened by Michelle Wie doing it over and over.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Administrator
I understand that he may be well respected by his peers. His public persona is much different. He comes off as a prick. His comments about Anika playing in the Colonial were assanine and when he pulled out to prove his point was more of a cowardly way of avoiding the hive he had stirred up. It was a big deal and has since been lessened by Michelle Wie doing it over and over.

His comment at Colonial was taken out of context. He said, "If I miss the cut, I hope she misses the cut too. I don't want to get beat by a woman."

The fact that the press burned him on that - BAD - by saying he said only "I hope she misses the cut" led to Vijay's recent dislike of the press. So no... you've not quite got that story right. I've seen Vijay enough times when the "true press" aren't around to know he's a pretty cool guy, really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Tiger Woods - i'm not afraid to admit it, he's the best.

2. Mike Weir

3. Scott Verplank

4. Ernie Els
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

1.Tiger Woods
2.Camilo Villegas
3.Sergio Garcia
4.Justin Rose
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

His comment at Colonial was taken out of context. He said, "If I miss the cut, I hope she misses the cut too. I don't want to get beat by a woman."

He also said she didn't belong out there and he hopes she misses the cut. He was not the only one, and was likely made to look worse than it was. However, most guys don't get a bad rep with the press unless it's deserved. Anyway, in my opinion he is a jerk. Granted, I have never met him, nor would I go out of my way to do so. Then again, he probably won't seek me out either. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/...12-singh_x.htm http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1552644
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

1. Tiger-he's the man!

2. Ernie Els-love that swing!

3. Lefty-loves the sound of his own voice but he may be the most talented golfer I've ever seen

4. Paula Creamer-hey, I am a guy

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

He also said she didn't belong out there and he hopes she misses the cut. He was not the only one, and was likely made to look worse than it was. However, most guys don't get a bad rep with the press unless it's deserved. Anyway,

That's cool. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but in all honesty I don't hear that too often about Vijay. And when I do it's kind of a ridiculous reason. If I recall, and I think Erik just touched on it but he made reference to not wanting to lose to her and hoping she misses the cut. So, really, he

said what everyone else was thinking . I don't think that makes him a jerk. The media will turn anything into a big deal. The fact he, at least to me, seems to be one of the more respected guys amongst other players means a lot.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

1. Greg Norman - Obviously way past his best but being Australian I cannot leave him out. He is the reason I watched golf on TV growing up and I still don't think any golfer is better to watch when he is in form and in an attacking mood.
2. Fred Couples - Once again a bit from the past but amazing ball striker and while I obviously don't know him he comes across as a complete gentleman.
3. Adam Scott - I think he has underachieved so far in his career but has an amazing swing and is a gentleman (and of course an Aussie). I can't wait to watch him for the next decade.
4. John Daly - Freakishly talented but obviously very damaged. He is just so interesting and always fun to watch

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

[QUOTE=jeffgladchun;12835] The Past

Nick Faldo

Why I like him: Well basically, Faldo is the man. He's funny and happy and just an overall nice guy. He adds a lot to the game and avoids the "hoity-toity", concieted attitude many professionals have and exudes the qualities of a true "golfer's golfer".

I agree with you to a point. I think he has loosened up since he quit playing. When he was playing, he always seemed to be in a zone. I remember quite a few tournaments where he he would not make eye contact or communicate with any fans, and that was during practice rounds. But he seems to have really lightened up, which I'm glad he has. He has alot to offer.

play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I fogot to mention my top 4:

Ben Crenshaw
Bobby Jones
Payne Stewart
Phil Mickleson
play4him

Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

boo weekley

What's In My Custom Bagboy Fleicshmans Bag:
Driver: Hibore with Aldila NV 65
Irons: CG2 Irons 3-PW
Wedges: 56 degree Reg.588 Tour Action Chrome Finish, 60 degree Vokey Design, vokey design 52*
Putter: milled series #3Hybrid: Rescue Mid 25 degree3 Wood: War HawkGolf Balls: Serious Play ...

If I recall, and I think Erik just touched on it but he made reference to not wanting to lose to her and hoping she misses the cut. So, really, he

The tour was somewhat divided on this, but guys like Tiger and Phil were supportive of it. It also helped at the time, to draw extra attention to what has become one of the lesser draws on tour. She certainly made it more interesting than, no offense to him but, Phil Blackmar (random name from the past) would have.

As far as the not wanting to lose to a girl, that is what he said the next day after the S*** storm started. Anyway, when you start talking about favorite players, there will always be a difference in opinion. That's one of the great things about sports. One thing that can't be argued is that he has an incredible work ethic and is probably the best player ever after the age of 40. I do still hate him, but it could be worse. He could be Michael Vick, Kobe Bryant or Barry Bonds. My hatred has faded a little as he has become less of a threat to Tiger's dominance.

The tour was somewhat divided on this, but guys like Tiger and Phil were supportive of it.

Yeah they were. Hard for me to say if that was all that genuine or not. If they wanted to be that supportive they could have played in the golf tournament. I don't believe either did.

Anyway, when you start talking about favorite players, there will always be a difference in opinion. That's one of the great things about sports. One thing that can't be argued is that he has an incredible work ethic and is probably the best player ever after the age of 40. I do still hate him, but it could be worse. He could be Michael Vick, Kobe Bryant or Barry Bonds. My hatred has faded a little as he has become less of a threat to Tiger's dominance.

Absolutely. It's all good.

One thing I don't entirely understand is why a lot of people flock to a certain player because he dominates. I'm not saying you or anyone in particular are this way with Tiger but I personally know people who's favorite player is Tiger simply because he's better than everyone else. Guess I don't understand that. Tiger really can act like a baby. I know, I know it's his competitive nature but really he doesn't have to slam his club into the tee box everytime he hits a bad shot. These strikes are getting more forceful too ... I'm surprised he hasn't broken his driver this way and he seems to do it almost every time. Also, I know he has gotten better at this but he doesn't have to swear on the air as much as he does. Ok, so it's down to the occasional 'God Damnit' but still...

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Tiger really can act like a baby. I know, I know it's his competitive nature but really he doesn't have to slam his club into the tee box everytime he hits a bad shot. These strikes are getting more forceful too ... I'm surprised he hasn't broken his driver this way and he seems to do it almost every time. Also, I know he has gotten better at this but he doesn't have to swear on the air as much as he does. Ok, so it's down to the occasional 'God Damnit' but still...[/QUOTE]

This is why I struggle cheering for him. I'm not perfect by no means, but in his position as a role model, he has a big impact on not only youth, but others. I get the feeling that it doesn't bother him. But as always, that's only my opinion.
At the same time, I also struggle watching alot of the golfers who almost react like robots without any emotion.

play4him

Yeah they were. Hard for me to say if that was all that genuine or not. If they wanted to be that supportive they could have played in the golf tournament. I don't believe either did.

I can see how people would get turned off by Tiger and the "followers." I can say that I became a fan of his watching him play in the US Amateurs'. You could see it then that he had something special. I love the way he took the tour by storm and I thought it was great when he said that he won without his A game and that he expected to win every time he teed it up. People took that as arrogance. Ten years later they all expect him to win every time he tees it up and even without his B game. As far the club slamming and swearing, I don't condone it but it doesn't bother me either. Remember, there is a camera on him everywhere he goes. They would follow him into the bathroom stall if they thought it would make for good ratings.

1. Tiger Woods best in the world
2. Anika Sorenstam best female in the world
3. Jim Furyk like his competative spirit
4. Ernie Els smoothest swing on tour

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10degree
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 Draw
5 Wood: Callaway BB
Hybrid: TaylorMade R7 Draw 19D
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4- AWWedge Cleveland CG10Putter: Oddessy 2 BallBall: Bridgestone E5/E6

1. Bobby Jones (he was technically a "pro" most of his life).
2. Fred Couples
3. Lee Trevino
4. Phil Mickelson

Jack was my favorite, by far, for years, but his crotchetiness in old age has made me grow tired of him.

Jones, because he was such an incredible man, all around. His life, coping with a lifelong, terribly debilitating illness, the respect he earned from those around him, etc.

Couples and Trevino are guys I like because they seem like fairly regular guys who do not put on airs. They are both very private and almost secretive, but I respect them both. Trevino is my favorite ball striker of all time, and Couples has probably my favorite golf swing of all time.

Mickelson because he's a modern guy that I root for more than any others. He's no Tiger, but he's probably a cut above anyone else on tour today, just not quite in Tiger's league. I find him much easier to like and root for than Tiger.

Davis Love has never been a great favorite of mine, but people who know him tell me he is one of the most kind, generous, honest people in the world, and for this reason I always root for him.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!