IGNORED

My 4 Favorite Pros:: Who Are Your's?

jeffgladchun
Note: This thread is 6078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Past

Nick Faldo

Why I like him: Well basically, Faldo is the man. He's funny and happy and just an overall nice guy. He adds a lot to the game and avoids the "hoity-toity", concieted attitude many professionals have and exudes the qualities of a true "golfer's golfer". Throughout his illustrious career he has evolved his game to better himself, a trait which warrants affection from me. While its safe to say that his professional career is in its twilight, he continues to have an influence in the game via his design company and teaching profession. Nick represents a quality I highly admire in professional golfers: the ability to "out-manuever" a golf course, and always hit the shot that the course "asks for" so to say.

The Present

Tiger Woods

Why I like him: Well besides his obviously dominant presence within the game, I most highly admire his ability to deliver when it counts most. The way he imposes his will upon the golf ball when it matters most (Ex: His last 2 victories and the 16th at Augusta last year) simply bewilders me. Tiger is a Tour-De-Force in this ridiculous game that each of us finds ourselves as proselytes of and I believe him to be an even greater clutch-putter than Nicklaus and expect heroic things from him this year.

The Future

Camilo Villegas

Why I like him: Besides appearing to just be a damned nice guy, I like Camilo because I've been watching him since his days on the Nationwide Tour and can see that he has the talent to become a big player in this game. Although he's a small guy (5'9" 142lbs) he absolutely wails on the ball (currently 3rd in DD at just over 311yds). Also, he rarely hits a straight shot, he's always trying to work the ball one way or another, up or down, left or right. He is a shotmake and that gets him big points in my book. His best finish is T2 in the FBR Open and with his confidence continuing to grow I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of this Colombian in 2006.

Luke Donald
Why I like him: The kid can simply play. He's lot like Camilo in the fact that he's a smallish guy who likes to work the ball. One thing I really like about Luke is that he prides himself on being able to stick a 3 iron inside of his peer's 6 iron. Luke is already a winner on tour, with his most recent W being the 2005 Target World Challenge Something-Or-Other. Also, he's now a Ryder Cup Veteran. Although he's not long off the tee by any means (DD around 280ish) he tied for third at Augusta last year. I like Luke and I hope he continues his success into 2006.

Alright, now its your turn. Who are your 4 favorite pros and why?

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta go with current players as going back would make this way to difficult. I also am just sticking with PGA players for that same reason...

Tiger, cause everyone likes Tiger and it is always fun to think that possible the best player ever existed during your generation. Plus no one is better when it counts.

Vijay for his work ethic on the course (which belies his casual attitude off). And it is nice to know you can put like crap and still dominate the game. The fact that so many people don't like him makes him even more fun to watch win (just not over Tiger!).

Michael Campbell for winning the Open and remaining the consumate professional on and off the course. People think he got cocky since the win, but I just feel that he has gained the confidence he needed to keep playing as well as he has.

Ernie Els for his attitute and smooth swing. Am I the only one that thinks he hits all of his iron shots in slow motion? He seems like a great family man and it is amazing how well he came back from his injury.

In no particular order...

1. Tiger
He sure seems like a golfing prodigy/genius. Watching him play, I get to see how the game can be played if you've got talent and imagination.

2. Vijay Singh
I love his work ethic. Also, I like how he continues to play high level golf (and win too) even though he's one of the older guys. I started playing golf after university, so I use Vijay as a role model to remind me that I still have time to get better :)

3. Fred Funk
Similar to the reasoning behind Vijay, but also because Fred funk has been fairly successful without being the most talented guy out there. He knows how to pick his spot, take advantage of his skills and talents, and (most importantly) score.

4. David Toms
I really can't think of a specific reason why I like Toms, except to say that he seems like a really classy player. After pulling himself out of a tournament because he wasn't sure if the ball moved, I gained so much more respect for him (even though I already liked him as a player).

Well, here's one more...
Mike Weir - because he's a lefty, Canadian, a "little" guy, and has class.

Sign the slow play promise and petition

• Administrator
  1. Tiger Woods. Best of all time (he'll prove that within about eight or nine years).
  2. Vijay Singh. The work ethic, the way the other pros respect him, and his devotion to his family. Rarely talked about, the latter two.
  3. Paul Azinger. Great guy, freakin' beat cancer, great competitor in Ryder Cups and in winning his major, etc.
  4. Davis Love III. I wish he'd win something again soon. If not, replace with Adam Scott.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Tiger Woods - Duh. I just love watching him play. Period. THE best golfer.
  2. David Toms - Great guy. Love the tempo of his game and he has one of the best putting strokes on tour.
  3. Jim Furyk - Another great competitor. Proof that you don't have to have the perfect swing...just great timing. (and it doesn't hurt that his short game is solid as well)
  4. Davis Love III - I'm in the same boat as Erik here. He's been my favorite golfer for a long time now but he needs to get his act together. Davis had a great PGA last year and hopefully that is a sign for better things to come. I'd replace him with Luke Donald though.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

There are so many great players to choose from. My list might change from month to month, but here's my best shot right now:
  1. Tiger Woods - Like a lot of you, I love watching history being written before my eyes. He's classy, hard working, a cut-throat competitor, and very well liked on Tour.
  2. Retief Goosen - He plays like he's on auto pilot and has such a silky swing.
  3. Vijay Singh - Opinionated, very much himself, a workhorse and great competitor. 2004 was amazing. I hope he does it again.
  4. Kenny Perry - A swing only his mother could love, but I love his tempo and his attitude. He's the kind of person that makes the Tour great, and he's got game.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

1) Tiger Woods -- I mean, really.
2) Fred Couples -- Pure, natural talent. Seems like a cool cat. Smooth.
3) Jim Furyk -- This dude's nails. As tough a competitor as there is.
4) Sergio Garcia -- Yeah, he's a tool. But what a ball striker.

And in the interest of fairness:

1) Annika Sorenstam -- See Tiger Woods.
2) Paula Creamer -- She's gonna be good a long, long time.
3) Grace Park -- Big hitter, hard worker.
4) Karrie Webb -- Easy to forget how talented she is.

Special space on the list for Futures tour player Anna Rawson. Google her, and you'll see why.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Freddy Cups- smoothest swing of all time

Mickelson- classy guy with that sping

Tiger- no need for an explanation

John Daly- hilarious guy who says it like it is (the show helps alot)

I judge favorite pros by the ones I look for to follow when I'm at a tournament. They are the ones likely to offer up a special shot or just add to the experience becaause of their style and ability. They are people I'd like to share a table with as much as watch on a golf course.

TIGER: Guaranteed to perform. Something special is always likely and he's history in the making.

T-2 PETER JACOBSON, KENNY PERRY: Love of the game and enjoyment for life and what they do to earn a living is always evident. Their smiles are contageous they're fun to be around - even from outside the ropes. They are Trevino clones.

FRED COUPLES: Rythmn to envy, talent to admire. Also likely to produce at least one special shot during a round.

GROUPED at 4: (in order) Lumpy, Jason Gore, Ernie, Daly, Phil, DiMarco, Davis, Monty (if he's around). All fun to watch and it's a pleasure to see them work around the green and deal with a little trouble.

NEVER bother to look for:
Luke Donald.
He may have wormed his way out of his American bashing episode with his big mouthed buddy, but his swing won't make up for his actions in my mind. If he thinks we are all dumb assed untraveled rednecks because our passports aren't stamped as much as his, that's his business. He may think Americans are ignorant and have no culture but he sure hustled his limey butt over to the Swilcan Bridge for a photo op with Jack Nicklaus in a hell of a hurry.
Pat Perez:
Temper tantrums are for kids.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

Hogan, Reteif, Woods, Els.

jeff, I'm right there with your futures pick of Villegas. He's the man.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator
Luke Donald fans will want to check out Jeff's ProFiles article on Donald , published a few minutes ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

1. Bubba Watson- Simply entertainment with his self-taught monster hitting finess as well as a great golfer and one for the future

2. Lucas Glover- Another young talent from america who bombs it miles and also will be very big shortly over in the states

3. Davis Love III- Has been my favourite golfer for over 5 years, just wish he would enter more tournaments and get some good finishes

4. Fred Couples- A smooth sleek swing which suprisingly generates lots of power, also Davis Love III's close friend

I would do almost anything to play a round with these guys

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

Tiger Woods - No explanation necessary, the rest have hit the highpoints.
John Daly - Local guy with some flare.
Loren Roberts - Boss of the moss and local.
Reteif Goosen - Icewater (except the '05 US Open)
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Tour, Aldila NV-75 Green
3-wood: Nike Sasquatch, Stock Diamana
Irons: Nike Pro Combo Forged, Stock Speed Step
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54*,60*
Putter: Titleist/Cameron Red X2Ball: Nike One BlackHome Course: Germantown Country Club

Lee Janzen - He was my favorite player until Charles Howell III turned professional. I loved how great he could putt under pressure, and the win at the 98' U.S. Open is still one of, if not, my greatest memory as a golf fan. (with the possible exception of the 99 Ryder Cup at Brookline)

Charles Howell III - College player of the year and graduate from Oklahoma St. University. He has been my favorite since he has been a pro. However, it's pretty frustrating seeing all the talent go by the wayside as of late. :/

Jim Furyk - Hey, at least all my favorites aren't sucky. Like Janzen, I love how Furyk can putt under pressure. He is very gritty and is one of the only players that can stay in the ballpark with Tiger when Tiger is on his game. He drives it straight, putts and chips well, etc. Nuff said.

Those three are my top favorites. There really isn't a fourth to choose. Everyone after these three are quite a ways down the list. Others I enjoy watching are Retief Goosen, Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia, Luke Donald, Hunter Mahan (Oklahoma St.), Scott Verplank (Oklahoma St.), Zach Johnson (My swing resembles his somewhat), Mike Weir, and Justin Leonard.

I'm sure I left some off, but oh well.

Some guys I don't particuarly care for just to be an oddball:

John Daly
Tiger Woods - (He will be the best ever, but I've never cared for his actions on the course. Therefore, I don't cheer for him much)
Jose-Maria Olazabal
Rory Sabbatini - I don't care if he won last weekend or not.

i love their games:
david toms
morgan pressel
retief goosen
ernie els

i love to watch/follow:
michelle wie
tom lehman
phil
daly

G5 10.5*, grafalloy blue pro launch S
BB 3W 15*
904f 19* 5W, graphite design ys-6 S
585h 19*, aldila nv 75-S
idea pro 23*, blue by you S mp-30 4-6; mp-33 7-pwCleveland 900 rtg 52*, wrx 60* spin milled vokey 56*/10Yes! heather putter b330s

Favorite Swings:
Charles Howell III - Pound for pound the longest hitter on tour, wish he'd get the putter working though.
Davis Love III - Very long swing although he recently has been working on getting a little more compact, its amazing the power and speed he gets simply because of his release, not strength.
Freddy Couples - Effortless
TIGER - When he's swinging at 100%, it may be closest to Perfection the golf world will ever see.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

Note: This thread is 6078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!