IGNORED

Stack & Tilt: Driver Thread

Note:Β This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Do it like this.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just came home from the range doing my first "Stack n Tilt" practice. Unlike a few threads i've read on here, my driving seemed to benefit as much as my irons.

For those who have success implementing SnT w/ the driver, please let me know if my setup & execution is correct:

- Setup: Ball tee'd up lower than normal, ball position at left heel,about 60% weight on left foot... hands right inside left hip, club face right next to the ball
- backswing: path is flat, right knee straightened, weight is still 60% on left foot
- downswing: turned/cleared hips, weight about 85% on left.

Driver: Taylormade r7
Irons: Mizuno MX-200
Wedges: 60*8 & 56*14*
3,5 wood: r7
Putter: Odyssey white ice

yeah i like to 'feel' like i swing pretty flat and have the feeling of sliding my hips forward before i turn them, as i have discovered my hips turn way too quick on the downswing.

The result? Long and as straight as i've ever hit it

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19Β° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Great topic and I think your thoughts and feels sound right on - we did a youtube video on the driver recently and here is the link:

Hope it helps!

Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction,Β Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

Β  Β 

Love that video i watched it a couple times to let it sink into my head before around last week. I currently set me ball just off my left foot but I seem to be hitting a straight draw instead of a push draw so I am going to move it back another ball width off my heel to see if I get the push draw today.

Oh and by the way that video helped me cure my slice I picked lately. I was moving my upper body forward when I was placing 60% of my weight on my left foot and notice on the video your head stays put at the center of your stance.

Great topic and I think your thoughts and feels sound right on - we did a youtube video on the driver recently and here is the link:

Love the video. Thanks for taking the time to post it up.

Is James standing on a significant down-slope, or is that a trick of the lense? If he is standing on a down-slope, is there a reason you chose to film the video that way? It makes for some odd-looking angles, particularly having to do with his weight distribution and lean. I think it might be easier for the viewer to understand exactly what's going on if it were more level. -Andrew

This video just confirmed everything i did last night at the range. I know i hit it well, but now i know why.

The most important thing about that video is keeping the upper centers "centered" over the ball on the downswing while the hips move forward. This is great!

back form my 2nd S&T; practice, things are looking good. Here's a few things i noted:

- backswing: just b/c the backswing is flat, does not mean the downswing will come from the inside. Still have to focus on keeping that right elbow tucked.
- setup: at setup, the hips should lean slightly towards the target. This is especially true for the driver (the video above explains this well).

I've said it in a few other threads, but this video is simply awesome... it has helped me out so much; anybody I know that is having issues with their driver I point to this video.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

I've said it in a few other threads, but this video is simply awesome... it has helped me out so much; anybody I know that is having issues with their driver I point to this video.

I just got back from a lunchtime session at the range hitting almost nothing but the driver using pointers from the video. I have very good results. I would say about 75% of the drivers where + or - a few degrees of center if not center. This is much better than my normal spray.

Does anyone have a similar video with S&T; iron basics? Thanks! Brad

Me too. Just returned from hitting 2 large buckets of balls. After watching the above video and reading some info on the S&T; I figured I'd try it out. I started with the 8 iron and the ball seemed a tad longer then normal and more consistant height.. Then switched to the driver. NICE! Hit pretty consistant and longer then I have been. If I swung too hard I pulled them left. Other then that I was able to move the ball left/right and right/left pretty easily. I then hit a bunch with a 4 hybrid. Though I hit the ball more consistantly I was pulling them left, draw and longer then normal. I have to be sure I take the club straight back, which for me, seems as though its outside and higher in the back swing. The divots with the 4h were deeper then my normal nearly none : )

I then tried a few with my Lob Wedge.......ouch......I'm a good wedge player already and this will take some practice. The swing seems really steep.

It'll be fun learning a new swing technique.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shaftsΒ --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shaftsΒ --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

• Administrator
I then tried a few with my Lob Wedge.......ouch......I'm a good wedge player already and this will take some practice. The swing seems really steep.

Be careful using the "driver" version (which is largely the same but has some tweaks given the far forward ball position, ball teed up, etc.) of S&T; swing with a lob wedge with the ball in the center of your stance. They're similar, but yeah, you can come down steep if you set your hips too far forward, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the tip. I was setting up the hip pretty darn forward, same as the driver. I'll try again tomorrow with less forward shift of the hips at address. I was thinking about using the S&T; for mid & long irons as well as the driver, but staying with a regular setup for the wedges.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shaftsΒ --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shaftsΒ --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

I haven't tried the lob wedges yet but did hit VERY solid pitching wedge earlier today w/ S&T.; I do clear my hips slightly lateral at setup position.

Much like the conventional swing, I'm finding it's alot easier to hit short irons than long so i can only assume the lob wedges will be quite simple if applied corectly. anyhow, 3rd day of S&T; practice and things are looking real good. Just hope I have this much success on my round this weekend *hope it doesn't rain!!*

I haven't tried the lob wedges yet but did hit VERY solid pitching wedge earlier today w/ S&T.; I do clear my hips slightly lateral at setup position. Much like the conventional swing, I'm finding it's alot easier to hit short irons than long so i can only assume the lob wedges will be quite simple if applied corectly. anyhow, 3rd day of S&T; practice and things are looking real good. Just hope I have this much success on my round this weekend *hope it doesn't rain!!*

Thats interesting. Just got back from a round of 18 before it rains tomorrow. I'm finding it much easier to hit the mid/long irons and driver using S&T; then the wedges. I reverted back to my old swing with all my wedges, yet all my other irons are more solid and much longer using S&T.; I normally hit an 8 iron 142 but I easily hit it 155 today. I normally hit my irons straight but the S&T; has me hitting right to left and longer. Long irons are also at least 10 yards longer. I'll keep trying this and see what happens. I have no idea what I'm doing : )

I normally hit my irons straight but the S&T; has me hitting right to left and longer.

I'm actually going through somewhat of the same thing w/ mid irons (8,7,6). I'm consistently hitting left of my target. Very solid strike, but just left.

I'm actually going through somewhat of the same thing w/ mid irons (8,7,6). I'm consistently hitting left of my target. Very solid strike, but just left.

Yep, the mid irons are going left a tad, not terrible, but something I have to compensate for. Long irons seem to be not as bad. All swings seem pretty darn solid contact none the less. This whole thing is messing with my wedges : ( Probably won't get back to the range until Monday. Looks like 80% chance of rain tomorrow so an in door cycling workout is on the books.

Do me a favor.....keep me up dated as to what is happening with your change. I'm finding I'm forced to swing more inside on the backswing then normal, hence the r/l movement of the ball. Though it is a tad different with the driver, if I swing at all inside the balls pulling dead left or a low hook. I have to be sure I swing what SEEMS "outside" on the backswing and more upright.

Note:Β This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!