IGNORED

how to play on a budget? how do YOU golf cheap?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 5705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agree 100%. Golf is definitely an expensive sport/hobby. My wife and I played 18 almost every Sunday this summer. I always check websites and go for the weekend after 1 or 2pm rates. Most times, we both played 18 with cart for around $50, give or take. Nice places, too.

Also, someone in her office was kind enough to pull out every golf coupon from one of those 3" thick books kids sell for various fund-raisers. Have to read them carefully, because some courses only give you the 2-for-1 on full rate. Plus, one course charged full cart rate for each of us making the after 1pm rate LOWER than the 2-for-1 coupon value!

Like anything, you have to SHOP rates to make sure you're getting the best deals out there.

Also, we played so many round this year after 1pm where there was virtually nobody in front or behind us the entire round. The economy of NE Ohio is really precluding a lot of players from being able to play. We pulled into one local course on a Sunday for a 1-something tee time. A usually packed course was nearly empty. It's not a good situation here right now.

Other ways to tighten your belt: Bring along some waters/gatorades in a cooler, but be discrete about it. Even though you're not taking alcohol onto the course, you're still undercutting the course's ability to make $$. Take a sandwich or some fruit or crackers if you're playing 18. Cheap, but definitely a cost-saving oppty.

If it's slow and you're not holding anybody up, look for balls. My wife hasn't bought a ball in 2 years of playing. She still has half of the 2 dozen balls I bought for her when she started playing! Since she doesn't really hit 'em far enough to lose 'em, all that we find go right in her bag.

Walk instead of ride. Not sure how old you are, but walking 18 means my ankles don't work at all the rest of that day and still feel it Monday morning. We always walk when we play the 'quick nine' down the street from our home.

Play closer to home if you can. Saves time and gas. The 3 or 4 least desireable courses (at least in my area) are those closest to my home. Again, a 'quick nine' means jumping into the car and being at a local course inside of 10 minutes. We can get out, walk 9 and be home inside of 3 hours usually.

Some areas I've seen offer multiple course package deals. Not sure if these could be considered a 'bargain,' but they usually offer 'preferred' tee times if this is important.

Hope some of these ideas help.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With 4 kids, and a hectic personal / work life (coaching, travel, house work,...), the best bargain I have found is membership at a local Par-3 (9 Hole) course. $200 for the year, and very lightly used. It has been a great choice for improving the short game, and also being with the kids, while saving a ton of coin (a few real rounds, and range work for the long clubs round out the budget).

well, my school's course only costs 2 bucks for 9 holes as a student so I capitalize on that deal as much as possible. This summer, I'd only go during twilight hours. 25 bucks a round walking. Too bad I'm one of the only guys who walk. Everyone rides there as the distance from the white tees was 7600 and from champs distance was 7900. It's a long course, but I save some cash, I get my exercise, and carrying does keep me better warmed up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I saved money by becoming a full member of a semi-priv. I play about 8 - 10 rounds a month.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

I "sub" in our company golf leagues. If you sub the person you sub for pays for it. I've golfed about 20 times after work this year and not payed a dime. Other then that I look for specials and in the fall there are lot's of reduced rates. I'm currently a 12 cap (up from 10 a few weeks ago) so playing tough expensive courses is a waste of money. Big dollars just to be humiliated? County courses are very nice in this part of the country and not expensive. Especially during the week.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

County courses are very nice in this part of the country and not expensive. Especially during the week.

i feel the same way. I play alot of county and muni exec courses. I am playing a course tomorrow that is $31 to walk, and $3 for a pull cart (my strap is broken on my bag)

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Take my own food and beverage in my bag.
Finish the round with the ball I started with.

Winning two-thirds of my side bets helps.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

thats a good deal, especially if you can play in the morning

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I haunt golfnow.com and look for the specials. I had the afternoon off today and payed $29 for 18 w/cart at a place that typically hits you up for $65.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

One guy from our group is a real penny-pincher, always looking for a way to save a buck. Funny, since he makes more money than anyone else in the group ....

He looks for and picks up every ball he finds, he doesn't play them (except for the mint ProV's he finds), but he keeps them and re-sells them on ebay, usually $10 +$2 shipping for 30 balls. It adds up. He also goes to garage sales and estate sales on Friday and Saturday mornings, and buys things that he re-sells on ebay. I have thought about doing that after seeing some of the amazing deals he has found! He came across a set of the old copper Pings, 2-pw, with a Callaway Big Bertha Driver and matching woods and a nice older Titleist bag. The ladies husband had passed away a few years back, it had been sitting in the garage, and she wanted it gone. She had the entire set tagged for $20! He picked up a ladies Ping i3 Driver, 3 wood and 5 wood set a few weeks back for $10!. He re-sells everything on ebay, and keeps the money in a PayPal account, which he has a Credit/Debit card they provide that the money is loaded onto. He uses that card to pay for his Golf expenses. Pretty neat system he has going, plus his wife can't complain!

Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

I use cheap balls (topflite d2 feels usually, prov's refurbished when I can find them), im done buying clubs for a while, Iwalk when I play, and I get to know the guys at the course so they usually cut me a discount or let me play 36 for the price of 18.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I walk when the course is suited for it. I use golfnow.com. I hit away from water. I take advantage of midweek and twilight rates.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

We are lucky in New Zealand, course membership costs me $720 per year, $480 for those under 27, $230 for those under 23. Golf gear I have'nt changed for a long time but am currently scouting out models 2-4 years old. Great value and not that old.

well clearwaterms

since youre from the chicago area, im assuming you know the busy golf course on the chicago lakefront, marovitz
if you want to play there during the offseason, its for free, no one is usually in the clubhouse (usually early spring or fall, just before winter)
also you could get a couple holes in for free after 6 and get on the course when no staff are on duty anymore.
In The Bag...

Nike Nike SQ SUMO 5000 9.5*(UST ProForce V2 Stiff)
Titleist 975F 13.5* (Dynamic Gold S300)
Titleist DCI 990 2-PW (Dynamic Gold S300)Nike Forged Unchromed 53*Nike Forged Chrome 60*Ping G2i Craz-e

During the summer here they had an unlimited golf pass for $100. This summer rocked being my last real summer and golfing literally everyday.

Bag - Warbird
Ball - Big Bertha Blue
Driver - Sumo 5900
Irons - Slingshot Oss
Putter - Rossa

the best bargain I have found is membership at a local Par-3 (9 Hole) course. $200 for the year.

No kidding. Thats an awesome deal. Id probably play almost every day if I found a course around here that offered a deal like that.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I purchase all of my equipment, used. The only item I've purchased, brand new, has been the shaft in my driver. (And even that I purchased for a song on ebay) Balls, clubs, tees are all purchased through ebay. Never had a problem and all of the equipment has been better than advertised. Like today, I purchased a set of Mizuno MP30s for $130, 3-PW and 6 Dozen Titleist DT Carry's for $35.

I also play golf during the week and late on weekends when it's really cheap.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!