IGNORED

What is your strategy: Lay up or go for it?

Note: This thread is 5694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are times when I have hit a short drive and I have to make a decision between going for it but run the risk of getting into a hazard (i.e. water) or laying up and make a difficult run just to make par or bogey.

What is your typical approach when one of your shots did not go as planned? Do you lay up or go for it?

Are there conditions or a state of mind or state of the swing that makes you choose one way or the other?

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

It's different for each player, but everyone needs to know their limitations. I see high handicappers trying shots that a lot of low handicappers wouldn't bother attempting. In a lot of cases, that's where some high handicappers waste too many strokes. They try to pull off a shot that percentage wise is not in their best interest. I've seen many players who would score a lot lower with better course management.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

If I am within a 6 Iron (160-165 yards) and have a clean shot, I usually go for it. Otherwise, I probably lay up. I have found that, for me, playing good course management usually means I will have 8-9 birdie putts per round, and likely a chance for par on almost every hole, but what it really does is cuts down on the double bogeys. That is what wrecks your card.
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

There are times when I have hit a short drive and I have to make a decision between going for it but run the risk of getting into a hazard (i.e. water) or laying up and make a difficult run just to make par or bogey.

You have answered your own question. With a handicap of of 17, "just making par or bogey" should be your goal. I would say that if going for it makes a double or triple bogey likely, lay up. But as you have implied, sometimes laying up gets you into trouble anyway because sometimes you don't pay attention to the "easy" lay up shot.

i usually go for it unless its on a day that i'm really not on my game

in my cart bag

Hi-Bore XL 9.5* stiff flex
Sport Series 19* 5 wood
Sport Series 15* 3 wood HBT Irons PW-3H Reg. 588 64*

...What is your typical approach when one of your shots did not go as planned? Do you lay up or go for it?...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator
I choose the proper club off the tee. Sometimes that's a driver. On the 13th hole at Lake View, a shot that requires a draw, it's almost never a driver.

Then I weigh the risks on my second shot. If I think they're favorable, I'll go for it (while planning for the proper "miss"). If laying up is likely to result in the best score, I lay up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

#9 on our home course plays about 390. The hole plays due-west which means into the wind as a rule. It has a 'moat-like' hazard and a block wall holds up a short approach to, and the green. Fat is in the hazard everytime and a double (or worse) ensues.

A 'good' drive for me means I'm still 160-165. The shot is pretty much all carry to a generous green, but you still have to stop the ball when you get there because behind is dicey as well. I lay up with a PW and hit my LW to get close.

Last week of season: CRUSHED a drive (no wind that day and fairway is slightly downhill) to about 130. 8-iron to green, well-struck to within 15', made birdie, won LARGE skin money that day!

At about 160, and with risk of a big score due to water or similar, I'll layup nearly every time! If I happen to be swinging VERY well that day, I might give 160 a go. Would take one club bigger though, just to be safe.

What did Clint Eastwood say? "Man's got to know his limitations."

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I LOVE those commercials.

--
Driver: R7 460 9.5 Stiff Shaft
Fairway Woods: Steelhead 3 and 5 Stiff Shaft
Irons: :: R7 CGB Stiff Shaft Steel
Wedges: Vokey 56 / 52 Stiff ShaftPutter: Oddysey White HotBag: R7 Stand bagRangeFinder: (Nikon) LR550Ball Prefer Pro-V1, but usually play what you just lostâ¦..

I have found that, for me, playing good course management usually means I will have 8-9 birdie putts per round, and likely a chance for par on almost every hole, but what it really does is cuts down on the double bogeys. That is what wrecks your card.

Great way to think about it and I agree, however, yardage is not the only determining factor...for instance on a long PAR 4 if I hit a bad drive and still have 180-190 into the hole whether I lay up or not has to do with what the hazards are around the green...if not much (sand trap or two) then I probabaly will go for it as I like the challenge of hitting a longer iron well and if I don't pull it off then I have the challenge of getting "up and down"...

PS Hey "jonanthans" , where in North Louisiana are you from...I am a LA Tech grad...go BULL DOGS !!!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

What is your typical approach when one of your shots did not go as planned? Do you lay up or go for it?

At the level I play, not making mistakes has more to do with good scores than making great shots. Most of the time when you "go for it" you just dig yourself into a deeper hole.

OTOH, if you are just playing the round for fun, then going for it is a lot more fun. Making one great shot can make your day.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I used to always go for it -- you know, 210 yards to a green surrounded on 3 sides by sand with a ravine in the back, and 20 yards uphill, and I'd think "Yeah, I can get it in there, no problem." -- and inevitably I'd be over or in the sand 9 out of 10 times, but that 10% of the time I dropped it in perfect kept me doing it over and over.

Then I decided to start keeping statistics on my game, and I realized that going for it was costing me an easy 10 strokes a round (yep, I can cut that dogleg; oops, I'm in the woods, again). Now I actually think about the risk/reward of the shot. Am I looking at getting up and down for par if I lay up vs. triple bogey if I go for it and blow it?

My thinking right now is, when in doubt, lay up. When I start breaking 80 consistently, then I'll go for it more often.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

PS Hey

West Monroe, 20 minutes from La Tech! I root for them 'Dogs as well!!
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

It all depends upon risk vs reward. I calculate how likely it is that the shot will go bad and just how much trouble a mishit will get me into.
If it is likely that going for it isnt going to work, I will lay up.
I used to be a, "go for broke" kind of golfer, but lately Ive found that playing it safe and keeping the ball in the short grass is often the better way to go.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I generally lay up, one I'm not a long hitter and none of the par 5's from the blue tees are reachable for me, and two my wedge play is the best part of my game, and laying up leads to better scores for me.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Note: This thread is 5694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!