IGNORED

Golf Snobbery

Chief Broom
Note: This thread is 2287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I have taken more ridicule for playing by the rules of golf. I am called a golf Nazi. Some guy actually got Mad because I played 3 from the tee after yanking one OB. How's that for reverse snobbery. 

Haha!  

"The regulars at the course subtlely check out your bag to see what you're carrying, nothing is said, but the guy with nice stuff gets a bit more respect than the guy who's sporting stuff that's a few years old"

This I have seen before but only to a limit, when the guy rocks up with nice new gear and matching clothes/bag then it's a different assumption that's made.

But as a new golfer (1st Year ) what I find causes the most snobbery is how you play. If your always looking for lost balls or returning to the tee to play a second ball when you should have played a provisional then you will get looked down on. It did bother me to begin with feeling pushed around the course, but then it was my first month and I didn't know the rules/etiquette.. now that I have a good few rounds under my belt I know more of what is expected, and how important pace of play is and with wanting to get better myself as a golfer I focus more on driving to the fairway than long and wild under trees etc. So now strangers see my bag of mixed older/new clubs and don't really know what to think, but at least I'm not holding them up anymore.

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, PaddyMac said:

with wanting to get better myself as a golfer I focus more on driving to the fairway than long and wild under trees etc.

Order a copy of LSW. Being in the fairway is overrated. Advance the ball as far as you can every shot. Even if you are under trees, most times you still have the chance to advance the ball forward and get close to the green. being a 22 hdcp good chances are you dont get that many GIR anyway, so being 20 yards further but close to a tree assuming you still can make a decent swing at the ball will result in lower scores over time than being 20 yards further back but in the middle of the fairway.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

8 minutes ago, klineka said:

Order a copy of LSW. Being in the fairway is overrated.

Thanks for the link I'll check it out but to be honest in my opinion (only a limited knowledge based one ) I think better course management is more important than trying to punch out from under tress. when I first started playing I felt like distance was the most important factor and often did just try advance the ball as far as i could each shot from the driver off the tee.. then 3/5 wood second shot (par 5) where my ball could end up practically anywhere rough/trees/sand leaving a hard third shot which usually went onto an equally hard 4th...Now I play to stay on the fairway and can usually make most greens ( an odd one even with a 5 iron) with the odd blow out hole ruining my score but as a ever wanting to learn I may change my thinking as I progress.

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

• Administrator
3 hours ago, PaddyMac said:

Thanks for the link I'll check it out but to be honest in my opinion (only a limited knowledge based one ) I think better course management is more important than trying to punch out from under tress.

LSW is the best book on course management ever written.

And the mistake often made is that not all of your longer drives are near trees and not all of your shorter ones are in the middle of the fairway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/23/2017 at 1:18 AM, iacas said:

LSW is the best book on course management ever written.

And the mistake often made is that not all of your longer drives are near trees and not all of your shorter ones are in the middle of the fairway.

Thanks iacas ... will def have a look ( I need all the help I can get lol )

• Administrator
4 hours ago, PaddyMac said:

Thanks iacas ... will def have a look ( I need all the help I can get lol )

Since you're in Ireland, look up Andrew Norrby in the UK. He's able to ship to Europe more inexpensively, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 months later...
On 13/10/2008 at 2:47 PM, Chief Broom said:

The scratch golfer using persimmon woods his grandfather made looks down on the

I stopped right here.....

how's the thread going?

I just take each person I meet one at a time and judge them as an individual based on our direct interaction.  It takes little more effort but sure beats pre-judging someone based on a loose over-generalization.

Most of the time, I get positive responses to my positive bahavior.  Most of the time, you get what you give - something to think on.

There are exceptions, though.  Don't let the exceptions get you down.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

10 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I stopped right here.....

how's the thread going?

I just take each person I meet one at a time and judge them as an individual based on our direct interaction.  It takes little more effort but sure beats pre-judging someone based on a loose over-generalization.

Most of the time, I get positive responses to my positive bahavior.  Most of the time, you get what you give - something to think on.

There are exceptions, though.  Don't let the exceptions get you down.

Doubt you're getting a response from a 10-year-old thread. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

56 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Doubt you're getting a response from a 10-year-old thread. 

Just did...  ; )

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!