IGNORED

Most Skilled Sport...

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 5498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow. I didn't realize how in the minority I was... though I guess this is pretty skewed seeing as this is a golf forum. I had this huge debate with my girlfriend about basically this same thing about a month ago.

First of all... you guys might be interested in this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills . This is taken from the article,
"But don't take our word for it. Take the word of our panel of experts, a group made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of journalists who spend their professional lives watching athletes succeed and fail."

The chart is interactive, meaning that you can sort between specific categories. Golf is on the list, but on the very bottom, and I think rightly so. Then again, that has a lot to do with the categories of the ratings.

Honestly, I think the answer to this question depends HIGHLY on what your definition of "skill" actually is. Personally, when I hear "what is the most skilled sport?" The question instantly morphs into, "what is the most difficult sport (thus... requiring the most skill)?"

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hitting a 95 mph fastball when your 60 ft away is the hardest thing in sports. not to mention, once you get the fastball figured out, here comes and 85 mph curve that starts out going right at your head and jump backwards scared out of your mind, and then before you know it, it breaks right over the middle of the plate. hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

• 2 weeks later...
well me bein a country boy im gonna have to go with rodeo you have one arm to hang on to a animal that is trying to get you off at all costs besides being in very good shape you must have lightning fast reflexs to adjust to your bull put a pro at any other sport on a bull they wouldn be able to do it

hitting a 95 mph fastball when your 60 ft away is the hardest thing in sports. not to mention, once you get the fastball figured out, here comes and 85 mph curve that starts out going right at your head and jump backwards scared out of your mind, and then before you know it, it breaks right over the middle of the plate. hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports

Well said. I agree 110% with all of that.

In the bag:

Irons X20 5-SW
Hybrids Slingshot 20* and 23*
Fairway Wood SasQuatch 15* Rescue:18* Perfect Plus (Don't laugh! I fairway people to death with that thing!)Putter Dual Force 550 Proudly, I hit no Driver. Who needs it?

The most skilled sport is Polo (on a horse). While not many play, imagine hitting that ball with that wind up all while riding and controlling a one ton plus beast at full stride.

My fellow coworkers and I were having a heated debate at lunch around this tricky topic.

Having been a "jock" since I was 8 I've done a lot of athletics and I can't think of any sport that requires more than golf. I agree about Hockey also.

Golf isn't difficult,,,,,,, if you don't golf. For those of us that do, well we know different.

i think this is a trick question... most sports that athletes have played since they were children come second nature to them...
ive been surfing since before i can remember an swimming before i could walk... i dont have to think about anything while doing these activities... but if i were to teach someone their very first day to paddle out with me at waimea or pipeline... i dont think it would go well... same thing with tossing a first time swimmer off the side of a boat...

all sports have a certain level of difficulty and there are some remarkable ppl in the world that are just incredibly athletic in nature and can pick up something quickly after just learning it... and to some its just an impossibility due to their lack of coordination...

so what some consider 'easy' others find impossible...

a truly skilled athlete is one who excels in many diff sports... bo jackson... dion sanders... etc etc etc...

so to say what is the most difficult sport is "it depends on whose playing"
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

this thread will never end as there is no way to answer the question.

Most skilled sport no such thing - unless you measure brain function, complexity of motion etc but then through practice certain motions become easier and as such it cannot really be answered. The body can perform 1000's of motions, maybe if some bored science guy assigned ratings to each motion etc you could get some kind of answer.

I could also have said - its the sport where on average it takes longest to become the world number 1 - as you havent mastered the sport until that point, even then someone will be better at some point

Skills and athleticism are different things and of course make the act of achieving an identical result to an opponent either more or less skillful, to take the tennis example, i can physically return a tennis ball at 130mph but i am not quick so i would be hitting it at full stretch (or not at all more likely) a professional tennis player is more athletic and the act of returning the ball takes less skill.

hell, dont know head hurts

It's almost a fact that hitting a baseball correctly is the hardest thing to do in sports. Pretty weird.

For me, golf took more skill than any other sport that I have played.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The sport requiring the most skill (other than golf) at a professional level is definitely tennis. YOU try returning a 130 mph serve!

I would say tennis as well. The sheer athleticism that is involved is quite amazing.

Centsports: bet real money on sports for free! you get .10 to start, and can't lose!

http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=375321

Currently in the bag:Driver: Callaway ft-iq 10*Irons: Callaway big bertha 3-PWWedge: Callaway x-forged Chrome 56*Putter: Odyssey White Hot SabertoothBall: Callaway HX...

Football (soccer to the colonials) has a high skill level.

I have several friends who played in the reserves for second division teams. Compared to me (who played the sport since i was 8) they seemed like Pele. Yet they could not even make the grade for crap little teams.

It highlights the skill required for the true top level.

Please watch a youtube vid of Lional Messi. Skill? yes!

Other than that I believe boxing to be the only other contender.One mistake and you eat a punch that will more than likely knock you out.......Also their skills levels are so high in what they do..

Note: This thread is 5498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!