IGNORED

Should I dump my 3 wood?

ScottL
Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently bought some new irons (dumped the Slingshots for Adams A3) and I love these new irons. The hybrids are awesome. Only been playing golf little over a year, but wish I had these from the getgo...

anyway, I seem to rarely ever pull out my 3 wood now with my 3 hybrids.... is it pointless and just more weight? Or should I keep it?

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

Chances are you hit the 3W longer than the 3H, so there probably are times when you need it. The question is how often? If you're talking only once per round, you might be better off with a 52* wedge.
I'm in the Dallas area too. Where do you usually play?

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

I do hit it a tad longer, but Im alot more consistent with my hybrid. So Ill gladly give up the 10 yards or whatever.

I live in Mansfield. I try and get around a little bit. But I "normally" play at Mansfield National. Only place in Dallas I have played is Tour 18 last winter. It was FREEZING that day. Only my group and one other group actually on course. But buddy had free passes...

Im still very new to golf and learn something everytime I go out. But since I dont get to play 5x a week, its a slow process. Iv only played about 20 rounds of golf in my life.. but I love every second of it

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

I carry 2 hybrids and 2 FW woods. My 3W is used as often from the tee as it is from the FW (or the rough ), as is my 4W. I also use the hybrids both places. I wouldn't give up any of them permanently because all have their uses, and when I need one of them, I need it. I may not use a certain club for 2 rounds, just because wind or conditions or the length of the course don't require it. but when I DO need it I want it in my bag and ready to go.

One thing is certain, you'll never get any better with the 3W if you don't carry it and use it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also don't use the 3 wood from the fairway very often, but use it on some short par fours where front bunkers come into play with the driver. So the question is can you use it more of the tee on some holes where the driver isn't really needed.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

I've put in and taken out a 3w at least 4 times over the past three years. My latest startegy is to put in a 2H to replace the 3W.

IMHO, the problem with the 3W is that it's probably the least used club in my bag. So, I get the least practice with it. I play the A3OS and am putting the A3OS H2 in for consistancy. I'm sure I'll miss the length of the 3W, but it should be made up for in fewer slices and lost balls.. *fingers crossed*

Good luck!
Drivers:
FT-i Draw 9* W/Grafalloy Red
Sumo2 5900 9.5* W/Grafalloy Red

Irons: A3OS 3-PW Graphite/Steel regularWedges: A3OS GW, SW, LWPutter: Rossa Monza SpiderLittle round white thing:

You do not really need a 3 wood if you are not going for greens in two on Par 5s, 3 woods are also almost in imposible club to hit for a begining golfer, or atlest for me it was.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

seeing as you have 13 clubs no... but if you think your game could benefit somewhere else... than yes dump it... I still carry a 3-wood... I swap out a 2-iron for a 5-wood from time to time

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I recently bought some new irons (dumped the Slingshots for Adams A3) and I love these new irons. The hybrids are awesome. Only been playing golf little over a year, but wish I had these from the getgo...

I would recommend using the 3 wood off of the tee and retiring your Driver.

If you have 14 clubs I would seriously keep the 3 wood.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

You do not really need a 3 wood if you are not going for greens in two on Par 5s

This is so not so. I almost never go for greens in 2 any more, but I still use my 3W a lot. When I play from the back tees on my home course, there are 2 par 4 holes where I need the 3W or 4W on my 2nd shot unless I absolutely hammer my drive. And on the front 9 there are 2 holes where I use the 3W regularly off the tee. That's just one course and I could use it 3 or 4 times in a round. But... on those same holes in different conditions use a very different club. Putting together a bag is all about have the options needed when they are needed.

As far as being hard to hit, Mizuno (and other manufacturers too) makes a "weak" 3W at 15 degrees, and that is the one I have. That extra 2 degrees makes a big difference in playability.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You do not really need a 3 wood if you are not going for greens in two on Par 5s, 3 woods are also almost in imposible club to hit for a begining golfer, or atlest for me it was.

This is true if you honestly evaluate each shot you make with the 3 wood. I was one of the many beginners to fall into the trap of remebering the 1 out of 3 shots at best that I nutted off the deck. And only about 1 out of 3 of those shots had a "usable" trajectory. Most of my best shots with the 3 wood never got over the height of the gutter on my house. If your playing links style golf you might consider keeping it if you really can hit it straight 4 out of 5 times. But if you have to carry hazards on par 5s forget it.

Play with some different clubs and try to find the longest shaft and lowest loft you can hit at least on a mid trajectory and straight 80% of the time. For me that was a 42" & 17* strong 5 wood. With all the new driver technology and higher lofts available I don't buy into keeping the 3 wood just as a safe driver.
This is so not so. I almost never go for greens in 2 any more, but I still use my 3W a lot. When I play from the back tees on my home course, there are 2 par 4 holes where I need the 3W or 4W on my 2nd shot unless I absolutely hammer my drive. And on the front 9 there are 2 holes where I use the 3W regularly off the tee. That's just one course and I could use it 3 or 4 times in a round. But... on those same holes in different conditions use a very different club. Putting together a bag is all about have the options needed when they are needed.

I'd say that your decision makes perfect sense for you. But I wouldn't carry it over to the begining golfer. Firstly they don't quite have your ball striking skills yet. That only comes with time. Secondly they really shouldn't be playing from the tips or trying "hero" second shots into long par 4s or any par 5s. But I agree that your reasoning is quite sound for keeping the 3 wood in your bag. And puting together a bag IS all about options. Kudos to you on that for sure! BTW it's funny how a 15* 3 wood is now a "weak" lofted 3 wood. Such is the industry evolution.

Good luck!

Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!