IGNORED

"Swing the Handle - Not the Clubhead" by Eddie Merrins

iacas
Note: This thread is 3519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just started reading this book.  Right in the first chapter he discusses the mistakes golfers make by grounding their club while addressing the ball.  I've always done this except in bunkers but it got me wondering if this is something that I should change.  Has anyone stopped grounding their club and experienced better ball striking as a result?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Wonder if the swing the handle concept works on short game problems (ie chipping yips). Seems like it would - thinking yippers concentrate on the clubface and overuse of the smaller muscles. Might be worth picking up the videos. Noticed that the VHS versions on Amazon run for only about $10.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I just started reading this book.  Right in the first chapter he discusses the mistakes golfers make by grounding their club while addressing the ball.  I've always done this except in bunkers but it got me wondering if this is something that I should change.  Has anyone stopped grounding their club and experienced better ball striking as a result?

Jack Nicklaus.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Wonder if the swing the handle concept works on short game problems (ie chipping yips). Seems like it would - thinking yippers concentrate on the clubface and overuse of the smaller muscles. Might be worth picking up the videos. Noticed that the VHS versions on Amazon run for only about $10.

That probably would help just by shifting the focus from the club head (that may induce steering) to the forearms/hands (where and how your body should move them, the club comes along for the ride).

• 1 year later...

Im havent read the book but looked up some of his youtube intros about this concept. Seems like a really simple concept that can be applied to flop/lob/pitch shots but I dont think it can be the main idea for all golf motions.

sometimes I feel like Im swinging the clubhead(Ernest Jones idea), sometimes Im feeling like I swinging the handle, and sometimes I feel like there's a dual hinge and Im swinging both handle/clubhead  and shaft.......instructional books like these seems to polarizing in their concepts, no wonder book is out of print.

• 1 month later...

Read the book and watched the videos. Put it into practice on the range. First round played shot 43 on the front and a 2 under 34 on the back. Next round, shot a pair of 38's for a 76. Next round, shanked every other shot and haven't played the same since. I think I hate golf.

• 4 months later...

a help but you still hit the ball with the head, not the handle.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Note: This thread is 3519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!