IGNORED

Kids Learning To Drive A Car

ks8829
Note: This thread is 5642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My son is 13 almost 14 years and its not too long before he will start driving. I am concern with what I am hearing about kids behind the wheel at a young age. I am also concern that I have to watch the way I am driving with him in the car because he might learn my driving habits by my example.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

My son is 13 almost 14 years and its not too long before he will start driving. I am concern with what I am hearing about kids behind the wheel at a young age. I am also concern that I have to watch the way I am driving with him in the car because he might learn my driving habits by my example.

I learned about ten years ago, and I did pick up habits from my dad. Of course, my parents are obsessive about things like the speed limit, stopping at red lights, not speeding up for an iffy yellow light, etc.

And ten years later, my dad still does the Flintstones-mobile thing when he is in the passenger seat. So yes, having been in his situation not too long ago, I suggest being more careful with your habits, even if you are already a careful driver. I knew too many people back in high school who would get tickets early for rolling a stop sign after thinking it was legal (some even told the officer this).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good luck! My daughter just got her license this past year. She has already hit two curbs and destroyed two rims and tires in the process. The first I fixed the second I wouldn't.

The positive thing is it frees up your time, I never realized how much time I spent driving her around. Plus she can run errands for me now.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take him to the course and let him drive the cart. Let him drive in areas where traffic isn't so bad, and it's pretty open. In SF I have no idea where that would be. Maybe the Candlestick Park parking lot on a non-game day.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I am learning to drive at the moment. I find the hardest part about a manual car is the manoeuvers, parking etc. Gear changing is easy and is not as hard as I first thought.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

i remember when i first got my license...

first thing i did was go get my buddy and take him to the walmart parking lot to burn rubber and impress the girls....

the first year i got my license was the absolute worst year as far as my driving skills go.. i got myself in all kinds of situations i should have never been in.. i tried to drag race everybody that even looked at me funny at the red lights and i did doughnuts and burnouts constantly....

then my dad sold the truck (silverado 454ss) and forced me to drive his old jeep because it only had 1/4 of the motor the truck had....

well.. i started taking the jeep off-road all the time instead, and bout killed myself twice... almost rolled off a 30 ft ledge once and caught myself sliding sideways down a steep hillclimb and somehow got lucky....

i didnt grow up untill i got pulled over by the cops for the 3rd time.... paying for that ticket out of my pocket really taught me a lesson....

then after that it was all peaches and cream... i'm 24 now and still alive.

my advice for you is to get your kid a vehicle that has less than 426 horsepower.. and maybe a 2 wheel drive...

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

I learned to drive when I was 14 years old. The good thing about growing up in a rural area is that there are plenty of backroads that you can drive on with no traffic at all. My first time on the highway was a sort of sink or swim situation. My dad had just been to the doctor and they had changed some of his medications, little did he know that one of them pretty much knocked you out. He pulled over to the side of the road, looked at me in the passenger seat and said, "You think you can drive home from here?" I just said "I guess we'll see" and we made it home.

In My Bag:
SQ Dymo2 10.5
SQ Dymo2 15
a2 3-PW
Tom Watson Wedges 52, 56, 60 Unitized Retro 33"

My dad used to take me out to an industrial area on the weekend when there's hardly any traffic and get me to practice there. I wasn't too fussed on driving so didn't get my full license until I was 20 which I think is a good age. Too many young kids die on the road these days because they're too immature and have cars that are too powerful for them.

I think your child is too young to learn how to drive. . . He can't have his driver's license yet. ..

Yes, but he can get his permit.

ks, I'm 9 days away from my license, and my best advice is to have him get his license and put him in multiple drivers ed classes for the next 2 years. Also, at first take him to a open area with nothing to run into and just let him get a feel for driving. Once he feels comfortable I would say have him drive short distances, to the store or other things that are similar.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Note: This thread is 5642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!