IGNORED

Any Way to Get More Wrist Cock/Hinge?

JackB1
Note: This thread is 5603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As seen in my last video...

I definitely don't get nearly enough wrist cock at the top of the backswing.
Is there anything I can do other than grip loosely in my fingers? I feel like my
wrists are as flexible as most people, but I am not sure why I can't get sufficient wrist hinge in my swing? Is there anything I can do? Drills?
Am I stuck with this flaw?

I would try this..

Begin your swing with a wrist cock, as in in the first foot you take the club back, begin the wrist cock, as if your hitting a half swing, or for some people, a "9 o clock" position, and then finish your shoulder turn.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Extend your left thumb further down the shaft when gripping the club at address.

Lighten your grip pressure.

Relax your shoulders and arms at address and throughout the swing.

Enjoy the results.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

start slow, start small. pull a club, waggle, swing it back and forth with just turning your wrists. then, start with your full arm, and then eventually your whole body, making sure it whips at the bottom. the wrist cock comes from swinging the butt end of the shaft at the target. If your grip is too tight, or in your palms, you won't get that flexibility needed to cock it back. try to get the feeling of less resistance during your swing.

one more drill to try, hold the butt end of the grip with both hands clasped together, thumbs wrapped around the shaft, not a normal grip. Now swing as hard as you can. if you notice, the club will want to sit back and you have no hands control of the club. momentum should take over.

just play with these ideas and let us know how it goes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are probably trying as hell to keep your wrists from cupping, which restricts your overall hinge.

For a hcp 25 it is more important to concentrate on a good hip/shoulder turn, which the picture tells me is not full.

Don´t worry about your wrists. Do work on full turn, arms at the right position at the top of the swing, and good tempo.

Hope that helps a bit.

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

It is hard to tell from your picture but I went through the same thing for a while and I now have good wrist cock and with it my power is back. What my coach and I did was a combination of a good grip and the proper backswing to allow my wrist to cock naturally...as you said you have flexible enough wrist (most people do) to make a good wrist cock...again not sure as I would need to see your grip at address and see your swing from the back to evaluate what you were doing (path wise) with your back swing. With my old swing I was hooding the club going back and pulling it inside which caused me to not even get my wrist set at all without a huge backswing and then an over-the-top move with an early release to add loft so I would not dig the club into the ground (from the early hooded position)...therefore not much of a wrist cock...right now I am working hard on my grip at address and taking the club back to 9 O'clock to ensure proper backswing path and good wrist cock. Even with a 9 O'clock swing I pure my 7 iron 165-170 with a boring ball flight...so good enough power to play with...my coach keeps telling me there is still more power in my swing as I learn to go to 10 O'clock and trust the swing enough to allow myself to fully release the club through impact...whew! I hope all this helps some...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Put some lead tape on your clubheads and see if that gives you a lil more down force as you transition from backswing to downswing. I always notice when I'm doing my heavy club swings that everything increases ( wrist cock, lag, shoulder turn. I actually get to parallel too!!) due to the extra head weight. Not saying you should put two pounds of lead tape on your club but maybe if you increased them 2 or 3 swingweights especially in the head of the club that would help you set your wrists more naturally as they should.

Make sure that your grip is 100% fundamentally sound. If you have the grip running through your palm too much (and not your fingers), you are restricting your wrist cock. Hard to tell though from the picture.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

As a poster said, you are not turning but merely raising your arms. Take the club back with the lead hip for an inch or so straight back from the ball to get the hips turning, let the grip continue the swing and hinge freely back so the club at parallel to the ground is toe up and butt to the target, not inside, just finish the backswing with a shoulder turn and let the shoulders move the arms upward. Practice this until you can lighten the grip pressure and increase the fluid move a little to build swing momentum to increase the hinge. I am not a big fan of hinging too aggressively with the hands in the backswing as this can increase grip pressure and limit the backswing and the unhinging in the downswing.

Also, lift your head up so its off your shoulders and not restricting your turn back. You are much too ball bound. At the top of the backswing your head should be over your rear side, not off your lead side as you are. Allow all the weight to shift to the rear which requires the head to move back away from the ball as any tour player does if you study the photos of them at the top. You cannot stay behind the ball through impact, if you never get behind in the first place.

change your grip. It is way too much in the palm of your and...

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

It is hard to tell from your picture but I went through the same thing for a while and I now have good wrist cock and with it my power is back. What my coach and I did was a combination of a good grip and the proper backswing to allow my wrist to cock naturally...as you said you have flexible enough wrist (most people do) to make a good wrist cock...again not sure as I would need to see your grip at address and see your swing from the back to evaluate what you were doing (path wise) with your back swing. With my old swing I was hooding the club going back and pulling it inside which caused me to not even get my wrist set at all without a huge backswing and then an over-the-top move with an early release to add loft so I would not dig the club into the ground (from the early hooded position)...therefore not much of a wrist cock...right now I am working hard on my grip at address and taking the club back to 9 O'clock to ensure proper backswing path and good wrist cock. Even with a 9 O'clock swing I pure my 7 iron 165-170 with a boring ball flight...so good enough power to play with...my coach keeps telling me there is still more power in my swing as I learn to go to 10 O'clock and trust the swing enough to allow myself to fully release the club through impact...whew! I hope all this helps some...

So are you telling me you are taking a half swing with a fully cocked wrist? If you are not hooding the club any more what are you doing? Are yo rolling the forearms?

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Extend your left thumb further down the shaft when gripping the club at address.

thats actually what you dont want to do. Your thumb on your left hand should not be extended, because this encourages you to grip the club in your hands. You want to grip the club in your fingers.

It might be a little easier to gain more wrist cock if you left-hand grip was slightly stronger........ Also, though I am not a fan of gimmicky training aids, David Leadbetter's "Swing Setter" is a very visual and tactile tool for a developing an early and pronounced wrist-set.

Good luck,

"The more you know...... the less you need"

all I can say is that you're getting an awful amount of varied feedback right now. Don't mess too much with your grips and swing through whatever you're hearing on here, you should read more from a magazine or from a book written by professionals.

All I'll leave you with is to keep your hands loose and let that club flop around a bit. The golf swing (as well as all athletics) is meant to be natural, not forced, so if it doesn't really feel right, it probably isn't.

Look on websites like golftipsmag.com or golf.com, even about.com has golf fundamentals. Wrist cock will probably be found under "more power" categories or article titles. You gotta look around, but I'm sure you can find your answer there. Good luck.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
What in your opinion would be the correct grip?
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

I'm going to be controversial to some here but I don't mean to be argumentative or critical. "Wrist cock" is not a big factor in the golf swing. The wrists move little in many great swings. All you need is the small motion of flipping a fishing lure (that has been discussed here before.) The wrist action is minimal on the back swing and the down swing is just a release downward. You do not need a big wrist cock to achieve distance and crisp shots. You need to use big muscles from the ground up.

Wrist cock is somewhat individualistic. You can have almost none and lead the PGA tour in driving distance (J.B. Holmes) or a lot (like Sadlowski) and win the long drive championship, but whatever you do, at impact the wrists extend the club head down as the back of the left hand faces the target.

People with small wrist cock typically look like they have shortened backswings, but they can knock the crap out of the ball without the big, going past parallel swing. Many who over do the wrist cock actually regrip the club -- the butt end of the grip will open slightly at the top and then close back. That is not something to be desired at all.

For your swing, get a good grip then you can start evaluating your swing -- a swing with a bad grip is not going to be the same as one with a proper grip. A good grip is in the fingers. 5-10 minutes with a good teaching pro will show you the proper starting point for your grip.

RC

TakeDeadAim; I could not agree more. Don't try this wrist cock idea..As Jack Nicklaus says, take the club back low and slow and this will allow for a full shoulder turn. His philosophy was to take a big full swing arc. And remember don't try to hit the ball with your hands, it is a natural flow using the body, especially the lower body to generate power. I am nearly 55 and can still hit 280 to 300 yard drives using this method.

Note: This thread is 5603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!