IGNORED

Shell's Wonderful World of Golf...

MSDOGS1976
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What happen to this show? I know they started the series back up in the 90's but looks like the last episode was taped in 2003. I always thought it was a pretty good series.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I've been watching this all day on the Golf Channel.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

I LOVED the older ones...the Hogan vs. Snead was a classic!

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

I watched Nicklaus and Watson at Peeble Beach yesterday on the golf channel and it was magical they both played well and Nicklaus edge Watson.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Great show. The GC used to show old black and white Shell's and other player vs player shows on late night/early am. Now we get the Speed Stick or the Hammer. Pow!

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I would love to see some updated ones with some of the younger guys like Donald, Kim, Poulter, JB, Boo...I think they would be fun to watch. I LOVE watching the classic Couples matches.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Great show... Everytime one of the episodes is on TGC I watch it... Definitely would like to see some new episodes with current players

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

I watched the match between Sergio Garcia and Phil Mickelson. The thing that really impressed me was..... GARY PLAYER. I thought he was an awesome commentator!

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Gary Player is pure greatness. Amazing what he did considering his build. Arguably, the best bunker player ever. He also has the best one liner golf tips. "strike the match" when chipping. "Complete the follow through" on the full swing.

That, and he was and is stubborn enough to wear all black even in 90* plus weather. I support him with not divulging who told that he/she was taking performance enhancers. Something public needed to be said, and not divulging the source, despite pressure from the media (the media seem hipocritical on this and a lot of things) shows great character.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 2 weeks later...
i'm a history buff, so i absolutely love the older episodes of SWWOG. i've got hogan vs snead on dvd, and ordered snead vs demaret on vhs from amazon just the other day. next up i'm going to try to grab one featuring byron nelson. these air on the golf channel, though? i need to get the golf channel.

golf channel is the only reason to have cable TV. (OK, and to keep the wife happy)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

These were back in the day when $100K went to the winner. These guys today laugh at that. It would take probably $500K to the winner to get anyone worth watching to fly off somewhere and play a match. That is why you won't see any new Shell WWOG.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

I LOVED the older ones...the Hogan vs. Snead was a classic!

A real classic with Hogan winning in Houston. Another was Gene Littler vs. Byron Nelson at Pine Valley. Most golf fans have never seen the #1 course in the US on TV, but if they get that show, they will see why that course is so highly ranked.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I believe I saw Littler vs. Nelson. Didn't Littler struggle and shoot like +5? I also saw Nelson get mopped up by some euro dude in the Netherlands. Course looked awesome.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

I believe I saw Littler vs. Nelson. Didn't Littler struggle and shoot like +5? I also saw Nelson get mopped up by some euro dude in the Netherlands. Course looked awesome.

You are right about the scores at Pine Valley. Both Littler and Nelson were over par. Of course, Lord Byron was 48 years old, and had been retired from competitive golf since 1946. The match was filmed in 1960 (televised in February of 1961) and Littler was in his prime since he won the US Open the following year. The course is unbelievable. I know a couple of people who are fortunate enough to have played it, which is not easy since it is so exclusive. Every shot that is not struck well is brutally punished. Forget up and ins if you miss greens. If you are not on in regulation, expect to make double bogey or worse!

There is a course near Saratoga Springs, NY, that is somewhat similar, and it is named MacGregor Links. Around the greens, the soil is sandy, with scrubby grass just off the fringes. If you are there, you cannot hit a normal chip shot because the ball is lieing right on sand and may have grass behind it. You cannot blast the shot since the sand is not soft. What can you do? I put the ball back in my stance and hit down on it, or use a putter. Your goal is to get the ball on the green and not have it roll off. You never think that you can get the ball within 2'. When you are on one hole, you cannot see any other hole on the course because it is cut through the pine trees. There are a number of elevation changes, and the 11th hole is a 245 yard par 3 that often plays into the wind. The 18th hole is a par 3 (how many courses finish with a par 3?). The green is elevated and surrounded by traps. You hit the ball out of a chute in the pine trees, and it plays at 165-195 yards. If you miss the green, you will be "rewarded" with a double bogey. The clubhouse looks down on this "Final Hole of Torture", and members like to look down and watch the disasters occur. Many, many Club Championships and other tournaments have been decided on that hole, needless to say.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

i'm a history buff, so i absolutely love the older episodes of SWWOG. i've got hogan vs snead on dvd, and ordered snead vs demaret on vhs from amazon just the other day. next up i'm going to try to grab one featuring byron nelson. these air on the golf channel, though? i need to get the golf channel.

VHS ?! THEY STILL MAKE THOSE??!!! Man I would have gone for the Beta version if they offered it. I remember those large black plastic cassette tapes...GOD, I honestly didn't think you could actually purchase those anymore...WOW.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

haha, well, i don't know if they still MAKE them, but they do still SELL them. in fact, 90% of the SWWOG episodes i've found for sale have been VHS. only a handful, like the hogan vs snead match, have made it over to DVD.

i got in my snead vs demaret tape the other day, and it's a good watch, though both players struggle through it. snead ends up 2 over par (he'd been even par up until the last two holes, if i remember right) and demaret staggers along to 4 over par.

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!