IGNORED

Ball Selection: Tee to Green.... or from Green to Tee ?

Note: This thread is 5599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you select a ball based primarily upon..........

• How the ball performs off of the Tee
    • How the ball performs on and around the Green

Out of both curiosity and boredom, I was wondering..........

How do you select which golf ball you play?

For those that select a ball based upon performance, rather than price......... is your decision influenced most by how the ball performs off of the tee? Or, are you most influenced by how the ball performs on and around the green?

"The more you know...... the less you need"

I voted on the green but actually if a ball performed terribly off an iron and great on the green i woudnt use it so I guess its kinda both for me....

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Both. And that should be an option. I want a ball that gives decent length off the tee, but one that sticks on the green. That is why I'm willing to pay the price for a premium ball. They just perform better in all areas of the game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting question. I saw an article about Sergio Garcia where he said when he was working with TaylorMade on the new TP ball, he would take the ball to 100 yards of green and in and spend a lot of time testing it that way. He said if he liked the ball in for those shots, he wasn't worried about how it was off tee. He said in his early testing he never even tried the ball with driver.

I said on green, but I'm with Foutputt on this. I would love to play a premium ball just for the feel around green, but I refuse to pay for this, so I look for a ball that works in 3 areas (short game, off tee/approach, wallet). I'm a 10 handicap and I think it's important at that level to find a ball that works best for both (as well as approaches), but you sometimes have to be willing to compromise something. I play with a less 'spinny' ball that I like off tee and am not unhappy with how it feels around green. The Bridgestone balls I play with do not spin a on on the green (at least I can't make them spin back 10 feet), but they do spin enough to stop quickly. I love the way my ball flies with both driver and irons, though.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Both. And that should be an option. I want a ball that gives decent length off the tee, but one that sticks on the green. That is why I'm willing to pay the price for a premium ball. They just perform better in all areas of the game.

The option of "BOTH" was omitted, as it is presumed that players want a ball to perform well in both categories. My interest here, was in seeing which these characteristic was of the greater importance..... Does one give up a bit of feel, for and additional 5 to 10 yards of driver distance (ie... Pro V1x vs. Pro V, Tour ix vs. Tour i, B330 vs. B33s)? Or, would one fore-go those same few yards for a ball that reacted, a little more, on finesse shots around the green?

"The more you know...... the less you need"

I would want my ball to perform better around the green.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

It is about 50/50 for me. I play the ProV1x because the ProV1 seems to spin too much on occasion. It is depressing to hit to a front pin and to have it come back off the green and down a long slope, or to stob one tight only to have it pull back too much making a birdie unlikely. The ProV1x allows both kinds of shots, depending on how you hit it; and off the driver, it flights a little flatter or more penetrating -- good for my swing anyway. It will still back up well on a steeply struck wedge, so why not have both things. I don't think I'm giving up any control around the green, even on short-sided down slope pitches. This ball performs better than I do.

RC

• Administrator
Titleist recommends you fit yourself from green to tee. You score near the green, and their philosophy makes the most sense.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Green to tee. Most strokes occur around the green so...

If winning isn't everything why do they keep score?
- Vince Lombardi

In my Ping Hoofer 08 camo bag :
Cobra 454 Comp 10.5* UST ProForce V2 stiffTaylormade R7 TP 15* UST ProForce V2 stiffTaylormade R7 TP 17.5* UST ProForce V2 stiffAdams A1 Pro Idea 4-PWTitleist Oil Can 52*Titleist Oil Can Spin...

Actually until you get to about 18 or so I would go with off the tee, going with a low spin ball. (Help keep shots straight). Until you get below 18 you probably aren't consistent enough that the loss of spin hurts you much. Most high handicappers leave more chips short than long or duff them enough that the ball doesn't matter. I do pick my ball from the green back.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Tee. If I have a bad swing and it goes OB with a lot of side spin that's probably going to be more detrimental to my score on that hole than if a shot doesn't bite on the green and I have to chip instead of putt from the fringe.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

I went from the green. My main concern with any ball and if I want to play with it is how it performs out of the fairway with irons. When I hit an iron I expect certain things when the ball hits the green. That is how I base my decision. I am not that concerned with the distance or how it feels off the putter, I can adjust to either.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I think you can have both these days, but for the sake of the question, I'd have to say green. I'm not terribly long by a lot of standards, but I still need a ball that will do what I want it to do (as long as I do my part) around the green more than I need another 5 yds of driver carry.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Titleist recommends you fit yourself from green to tee. You score near the green, and their philosophy makes the most sense.

exactly...around the green is where you score. And sence most balls dont effect putting much, around 100 and in is the most important in performance for a ball.

Definatly around the green, I find that the only difference for me off the tee is how they tend to feel of the club face etc... You may gain a few Yrds but you need to be more consistant from 100yrds to the green. We all know that is where rounds are won and lost...
My Equipment:
Sumo2 5900 8.5 Stiff Flex
Sumo2 3 Wood Stiff Flex
Sumo2 3 Hybrid Stiff Flex
cci Cast Irons 4-PW Dynamic Light Stiff ShaftsSV Wedge's 56 & 60 Dynamic Gold ShaftsWhite Hot Sabertooth PutterOne Platinum Golf Balls #3'sSQ Tour 10.5 Inch Staff BagTW SP-8 Shoes

Most definetely around the green. Though admitedly I might not feel that way if I lived somewhere more moist. Its though to stick anything to the greens out here.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

This does seem to make the most sense to me. I mean honestly I think theres a huge difference between a 5 foot putt and a 10 foot putt, but I wouldn't care if my drive was 5 feet shorter, so i would go with green to tee.

Centsports: bet real money on sports for free! you get .10 to start, and can't lose!

http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=375321

Currently in the bag:Driver: Callaway ft-iq 10*Irons: Callaway big bertha 3-PWWedge: Callaway x-forged Chrome 56*Putter: Odyssey White Hot SabertoothBall: Callaway HX...

Note: This thread is 5599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!