IGNORED

Favorite Masters Tournament

apex53
Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I realize it's still a couple of months away but ESPN has been showing promos of The Masters... Just wondering which Masters Tournament is your favorite? I have to go with 1986 and Jack Nicklaus' incredible win.

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

1997 tiger's 12 shot rob

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

My favorite was the 1995 Masters. It was Ben Crenshaw's second Masters win, but what made it special was the circumstances. He came in playing terrible, and his mentor Harvey Penick had just died.
Playing on pure emotion and a tip from his long time caddie, he defied the odds and won his second Masters. I can still picture him after he sank the last putt.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

1997 Masters when Tiger blew the field away.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

'96 stands out for me. Norman's collapse after playing brilliant all week and Faldo's sheer guts and ruthless determination in the final round - people forget that while Norman exploded Faldo shot 66 to win.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

My favourite Masters tournament is the European one, in Crans-sur-Sierre.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

1986 and 1986

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

2005-first time we saw the full front nine. Tiger's chip in on 16 (not sure he intended to skull it a bit) Tiger beats DiMarco in a playoff.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I realize it's still a couple of months away but ESPN has been showing promos of The Masters... Just wondering which Masters Tournament is your favorite? I have to go with 1986 and Jack Nicklaus' incredible win.

I agree with your choice for #1. Jack, with son, Steve, on the bag, making that charge on the back nine on Sunday!! #2 would be Ben Crenshaw winning in 1995, days after being in the funeral for Harvey Penick. He was so overcome with emotion after the final putt, and simply bent over and covered his face. #3 is similar to #1---1978 when Gary Player won for his last Masters victory. He also charged on the back nine, shot a 30, and showed his usual fiery spirit. One thing that I remember is his playing partner---a fiery Spaniard who was as worked up as Gary----Seve. Gary won by only one shot after shooting a 64 on Sunday. The runner-ups were Hubie Green, Tom Watson, and Rod Funseth. Gary was 42 at the time. Jack was 45, I believe, in 1986. I love it when the old guys win (I am 60, so that it is understandable).

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

1997 Masters when Tiger blew the field away.

I sat all day in the spectator stands that are situated between the #13 green and #14 tee box on Sunday at the '97 Masters. I got there early with my brother in law and we decided to go get good seats before the golfers (and the crowds) made it down that far. The plan worked and we had front row seats with two great fields of view. First off Jack made the cut that year and the sea of people following him was equaled only by the number of people following Tiger (we termed it "the herd"). I watched every drive coming up the hill on #13. Every shot was actually out of my field of vision but on the good shots I could see the golfer's head as he set up for his second shot. Then came Tiger. His tee shot carried the hill and he was almost standing in front of us hitting his second shot onto the green. It was amazing and was a clear illustration of how much better Tiger was playing than anyone else on the golf course that day (week). His second shot burnt the lip of the cup (or at least that's how it looked from the distance I was at #13's green is actually kind of isolated on the course). His tap in eagle was mere formality. After that last group went through we waited a while for the crowds to thin and then went home to see the jacket ceremony.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Greetings ...

Can't confine it to just one. Among the Masters I have seen over the years--

1975 - Jack's 5th, highlighted by the 40-footer on the 16th green with Henry Longhurst's call.

1977 - Tom Watson's 1st, the highlight being his 15-footer on the 17th green with Frank Glieber's call.

1978 - Gary Player's 3rd, sparked by a final round 64, which included a back nine of 30. Seve Ballesteros, playing with Player, witnessed this magical round and enthusiasticly congratulated Player as his last putt went down. Player then had to wait out challenges from Tom Watson, Rod Funseth and Hubert Green .

1984 - Ben Crenshaw's 1st. Unknown to the public, but almost certainly known to a precious few, including some of the CBS announcers, was the fact that Ben had just broke up with his first wife. A three-straight birdie string on 8, 9 and 10 - the last from 60 feet out, called by Bob Murphy - got Ben going on Sunday. This was followed by a spectular tee shot and birdie on the 12th. Finally, a crucial par putt on the 14th proved to be the last big hurdle.

1986 - Jack's 6th, turning back the likes of Seve Ballesteros and Greg Norman.

1987 - Larry Mize's 140-foot wedge in sudden-death is the shot we are reminded of the most. However, it should be noted that Mize may have really won this event in regulation. After two bogeys mid-way thru the back nine, Mize righted his ship and made a brilliant final hole birdie to get into the playoff. We should also not forget Seve Ballesteros' sand save at the 18th, as well as Greg Norman's birdie on the 17th, plus a just-missed birdie on the 18th which would have won it for the Shark.

1994 - Jose-Maria Olazabal's 1st, in a wonderful duel with Tom Lehman.

1995 - Ben Crenshaw's 2nd, for Harvey.

1996 - This one should been Greg Norman's, but alas on the final day, the Shark busted his fins with a horrendous 78, while Nick Faldo served up a masterful 67 to win his 3rd.

1997 - Hello There, Young Mr. Woods.

1998 - Mark O'Meara's final hole birdie to edge out Fred Couples and David Duval. And let us not forget 58-year-old Jack Nicklaus' courageous performance.

2004 - At long last, it WAS Phil Mickelson's time.

2005 - "In Your Life, Have You Seen Anything Like That". 4 jackets and counting for Tiger.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

I forgot one other, and it is "The Greatest Masters of All Time"------1935. Bobby Jones watched while The Squire, Gene Sarazen, hit a perfect 4 wood second shot to the par 5 15th, and it rolled into the hole for a double eagle!! That is the only double eagle ever recorded by a player on the Sunday of a Major that enabled him to go on and win!!

Here is an interesting footnote: Sarazen did NOT win on Sunday. His two on the par five eabled him to catch Craig Wood from Lake Placid, NY, and Sarazen won the playoff the next time. The Squire's second shot is often referred to as "The Shot Heard Round the World", and it is probably the Greatest Shot ever made in a Major Championship on a Sunday. No one else even comes close to that excitement.

Mine is 2009 when Harrington completes the 3rd leg of the "Paddy Slam"!!!!

Of the past ones, Norman falling apart against Faldo was enthralling, but painful to watch. Tiger blowing the field away for his first major was pretty special, as was Jack's last.

While I'm at it, the least memorable has to be Zach Johnson's success.

-----------------------
Golf Predictor Guru
-----------------------

Golf Predictor Guru,

While I'm at it, the least memorable has to be Zach Johnson's success.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think that ? Just wondering.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Golf Predictor Guru,

Why do you think that ? Just wondering.[/QUOTE] Personally, I think Zach's victory was special. He said in the beginning that he would not go for any par 5 in two, and he stuck to his game plan. His wedge play and putting were so good, he still played the par 5's well under par. Other players, including Tiger, tried to catch Zach, but the combination of his steady play and their mistakes made him The Champion.

While I'm at it, the least memorable has to be Zach Johnson's success.

'76 was the worst for me. You've got to remember the pre-tournament build up, after the Nicklaus/Weiskopf/Miller battle in '75. Everyone was set for a rerun then Floyd ran away with the thing, with his little fairway wood, whatever the heck that was. All weekend it was like, "Can we please start this thing over again?" I was hardly the only one thinking that.

86 with Jack of course.2004 with Phill cause he won it by making the last putt which is allways the best way to watch.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!