IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 4012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use the interlocking grip. I was told that the overlapping grip was probably the best for me but i just couldn't get comfortable with it. I think that being comfortable is a big thing as well so went for the best of both worlds and interlocked. It just feels soo much more secure and wasnt uncomfortable at all in the first instance..

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Home Course: Gawler Golf Club
Glove: Nike Tech Feel
Balls: Nike Power Flight

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interlocking but 10 finger on my driver because I'm fighting a slice.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Interlocking. Felt the most comfortable.

DRIVER - Tight Lies/Graphite/10°
3 WOOD - Sasquatch/Graphite/15°
5 WOOD - Tight Lies/Graphite/19°
IRONS - X-22/Steel/3-PWAW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/52°SW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/56°LW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/60°PUTTER - Black Series #2/34"

I switched to overlap this year from interlock. Interlock was becoming incresingly less comfortable for me. I read in a few places that overlap is better for people with larger hands (I'm a 6'3" lanky type of guy), so I gave it a try and liked it right away.

overlap, most comfortable for me

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

Interlock for my tiny hands (strange being 6'3" and 250)-please no small hands, small c@#k jokes

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator
Interlock. It's how I learned and I've never had a reason to change.

I even interlock with my putter. I guess when I was first learning the game I never saw an article about having a different putter grip. It, too, is comfortable and I've never had a reason to change.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interlock, It's just most comfortable to me. Also lets me feel more connected to the club.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Another Interlock here, and like iacas I interlock when putting too. My teacher tried to get me to change and a did try overlap for a few weeks but it didn't stick. My grip may not be perfect but it's low down on the list of things wrong with my swing.

In My Bag:
Driver: isi-T 11.5
3-Wood: X-Hot 15
Irons: isi-K 3 - SW2 + LW
Putter: Anser 2i

One more vote for interlock grip. Tried others, but interlock grip felt the most comfortable... and also read an article somewhere that indicated my medium cadet sized hands are more suitable for interlocking grip. Oh, and I'm 6'0 190 LBS so I'm also on the smaller hand size group as well!

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

Overlap. I think my grandpa taught me the overlap when I was like 12 so I never knew any different. It's what's comfortable to me. Then, later in life, I read Hogan's 5 lessons, and that's what he teaches - if it's good enough for Hogan, it's good enough for me.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

Overlap. Its what I started with, so its what I use. I can hit with an interlock grip, which is really what I'd like to use for better control on the club sometimes. I can feel that overlapping finger hovering or "getting lost" sometimes in my current swing...not good. I think that will be my winter project

Try the interlocking grip and get it to stick.

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

I switched to overlap this year from interlock. Interlock was becoming incresingly less comfortable for me. I read in a few places that overlap is better for people with larger hands (I'm a 6'3" lanky type of guy), so I gave it a try and liked it right away.

ditto, have changed to the overlap because of my big hands

In My Bag:

Driver: Burner Driver 9.5 (UST Proforce V2 Stiff 76g)
3 Wood: Rescue TP 14.5* (Stock 75g Stiff)
2 Iron: G10 Hybrid (Ust Proforce V2 85g High Launch Stiff)Irons: X- Forged (Rifle 6.0 Shafts)Wedges: 248.06, 252.08, SM56.10, SM60.04Putter: 9 XG Ball: TP BlackBag: Ozone Stand...

i have smaller hands so interlockin is the most comfortable. i used to a 10 finger grip cause baseball but learned to use interlocking. overlapping is something i want to use but never seems comfortable.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

• 4 months later...

So I'm going through a very big grip change. I'm very much self-taught, but when i had a quick 10 min lesson with a pga pro i happened to get partnered with he said I had a good looking swing and some potential, but I really needed to work on the grip.

So i practiced what he showed me, bought hogan's 5 lessons and have completely changed my grip. I now overlap rather than interlock, I'm in the fingers with the right hand as i should be, I'm now much more neutral with the left hand (I used to be super strong), and I'm seeing great results in terms of consistency.

My question is about the left hand. I can't always get comfortable with this hand on the club. I can't figure out how to lay my thumb on the shaft. If I put my thumb down intuitively after i grip the club with the rest of my fingers, feel like there is a large space by my palm and the grip (in the picture its the lifeline crease which has this pocket). If i grip it with my thumb extended down the shaft, it feels more like I am palming the club. Whats correct?

Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I only skim read what you posted, so apologies if this is not answering the question.

The thumb of your top hand (left hand for a right handed golfer) should not be extended, in fact I think that your thumb should effectively be as short as possible when gripping the club (I think this leads to your hands working together more as a single unit)

I seem to remember reading once that Jack Nicklaus said if you are born with a thumb that can bend backwards (against the angle of the joint) you have an immediate advantage in golf.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 4012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!