IGNORED

Who has the best swing and worst swing on tour?

Chilidipper
Note: This thread is 4685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best swing on tour belongs to Luke Donald. It just looks very classic - simple, natural and efficient. Of course Freddie and Ernie have the 2 prettiest swings - they just looks so smooth and easy, although Ernie's swing has changed a little bit over the last couple years.

As for worst swing, I think it has to be Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey. Kenny Perry also has a funky looking swing (as does Furyk, of course). I find that most 'bad swings' are from older players (look at Champions Tour). The majority of younger players have very nice textbook swings. There are a few self-made swings that are not as textbook, such as JB, but they are few and far between.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

• Administrator
I think the best is Jeff Oligilvy and the worst is JB Holmes. His swing looks so tight and unflexible.

Seriously? I overlook a lot of the typos and things on this forum - which is tough, given my role as an editor in a lot of places in my life - but "Jeff Oligilvy" vs. "Geoff Ogilvy"? Like it or not - and I'm offering this as advice - people will often judge your intelligence by your ability to at least approach proper spelling and grammar.

To answer your question... best: Tiger, but few can even swing like he does (flexibility, strength, etc.). Worst? If I limit myself to guys most of us have heard of, Phil Mickelson. Hits down with his driver. Too long. Has plenty of timing issues.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My favourite swing is Geoff ogilivy's,but the one i hate the most is Tommy armour 3rd,i know it works but i just don't like it.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Seriously? I overlook a lot of the typos and things on this forum - which is tough, given my role as an editor in a lot of places in my life - but "Jeff Oligilvy" vs. "Geoff Ogilvy"? Like it or not - and I'm offering this as advice - people will often judge your intelligence by your ability to at least approach proper spelling and grammar.

A more tactful approach would have been an instance message. Class is defiantly not your strong suit.

Tiger has the best swing on tour. The worst goes to Phil because he hits it so far offline sometimes it makes me wonder how he made it this far. Not to say he is a bad player.

All of this does not matter. The only thing that matters is square,solid,and centered contact. If you think the swing is the thing go watch a champions tour event and you will change your mind quickly.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

best: freddie couples

worst: jim thorpe of the champions tour

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Best is a tie between Tiger (clutch), Sergio (power), and Freddie (rhythm). Worst is Kenny Perry... Probably one of the ugliest take-aways and up-swings in the game...

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

I don't really dislike anyone's swing, I actually quite enjoy watching the odd swings and it makes the game more interesting, that people can play really well with some swings that look like they should not work.

Miguel Angel Jimenez has a fantastic swing, the way his body and hips turns. It's one of my favourites, love watching him on a Par 3 with a mid Iron. Looks like no effort or hassle to him.

Jeev Mikla Singh has a very interesting swing, always have a wee smile when I see his swing.

A more tactful approach would have been an instance message. Class is defiantly not your strong suit.

You mean an "instant message"? And how is his class "defiant"?

And as for the OP's question, I'll go with Rory McIlroy.

Colin P.

Who has the best swing and the worst swing?

I'm not going to say that anyone on tour has a bad swing. Who am I to be in the position to criticize any one of them? Peace out.

Colin P.

best: freddie couples

I have seen Jim play in person and you are right about it being weird.I followed him for 5 holes on the friday of the senior us open last year. He hits the ball extremely solid though. His ball flight is very impressive as well. His ball flight is the most beautiful tight fade I have seen out of any player.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

Best Swing...Trevor Immelman...very Hogan like.

Most "Unsettling" swing...Kenny Perry (but damn I would take the results!!) must respect to the Kentucky Headhunter!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Best Swing...Trevor Immelman...very Hogan like.

I'm going to have to agree with you on both counts there! Kenny Perry is hard to watch, may as well through Justin Leonard in the mix on this one. But, they sure know how to score, and that's what it's all about.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Two swings I like are Tom Purtzer's and Steve Elkington's. Two I don't much like are Phil's and Montie's, both of whom have achieved a great deal in the sport (so what do I know?) Remember Palmer's swing? We all know what he did for golf. Just playing around trying to imitate Palmers whirly high finish is difficult. I think Kenny Perry has pretty good mechanics in his swing and he is sneaky long -- but he looks different for sure. Watch how he keeps his hands and club in front of his chest and how he gets extention so early in his swing. Different, yes.

RC

i'm going to follow suit with a previous poster and not say that anyone on tour has a bad swing, cause i'd give just about anything to be able to get the results that they typically do. trevor immelman's swing does look very nice until he gets into that ungodly follow through of his. i just never have understood coiling yourself around like that in the follow through, even getting so far as to having your club pointing parallel to your target line at the end.

it was also implied earlier that home-made swings were ugly - while i'm not going to say they're things of beauty, i do really enjoy seeing a home-made swing that works (a la j.b. holmes). so many swings look exactly the same on tour these days, and that just strikes me as being boring as piss. you see one swing on tour, odds are you've seen about 80% of the swings on tour. maybe i'm just old fashioned, but i love watching the swings of yesteryear when practically no one swung the club around the same. you'd have players of pure grace like snead or hogan, and then you'd have people like jimmy demaret or gene sarazen who's swings looked choppy and ugly, but got the job done just the same.

Note: This thread is 4685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!