IGNORED

RIFLE shafts question

Norm3333
Note: This thread is 5544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I looked through old posts to find out what the difference is between Rifle shafts.

What does 5.5 mean?

What ball flight does each one have? I have read so much conflicting opinions.

If you really understand the differences, please help.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Check their website and F.A.Q.'s for their explanations.

I believe it's Royal Precision.....True Temper.....etc. Google it up and you may get a better explanation.

Good luck.

Finding the right shaft is key.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

5.5 is basically your standard stiff flex. However, if you get the original Project X's, it's going to be slightly stiffer. go to royalprecision.com and look at their chart.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

yea 5.5 is jus a stock stiff flex. The whole idea behind the rifle shaft is it has no perferations (or like the dilerbrate dents in the shaft) i guess it makes it more consistant.

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

I just got custom fit for new Irons. The shafts are Rifle Project x 6.0 half inch longer than standard.

How has your ball flight changed between you new and old set of irons???

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I was looking at the new PX high launch shafts and noticed they are only offered in 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0. Would the 5.0 be regular or stiff?
Also, on the fitting chart it said a 90 mph swing speed (with a 6 iron) requires a 6.5 and a 160 yard carry requires a 5.0. My recent results on the launch monitor said 83 mph and 159 carry (it was 0*c outside) so I am non the wiser which would suit me. Any advice?
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

Royal Precision made the Rifle range (of all types) but I think they're owned by True Temper now.

The "Rifle" shafts are different from the "Project X" shafts and the "Flighted Rifle" shafts are different again.

5.5 (at least in the standard Rifles) is stiff(ish) but probably a bit less stiff than the old favourite Dynamic Gold S300 (I read somewhere that these come in about 5.8 on the Rifle scale).

The standard Rifles tend to hit the ball with a reasonably high flight. The Flighted Rifles have varying kick-point positions depending on the iron shaft. The long irons (2, 3 and 4) have a low kick point to help you get them off them deck and the shorter irons have a higher kick point to generate a lower flight (not that low though) for control. I've used the standard Rifles and the Flighted Rifles and I prefer the Flighted version - very nice, good feel and a nice flight. Slightly higher than DGS300. The standard Rifles were too high for me.

I haven't played the Project X in one of my own sets but I've tried them and although they played pretty straight, I loathed the feel. Too 'boardy' for me. They tend to play a bit stiffer than the other Rifle shafts for the same flex rating i.e. the 5.5 in the PXs seems a bit stiffer to me than the 5.5 in the other Rifles.

All of them look great without the standard stepping profile that most shafts use.

If you're looking for good shafts you could do worse than take a look at the Nippon range as well; a lot of people sing their praises.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I couldn't find a demo for the normal flighted rifles. The idea of flighted.... i don't really like it. I ended up going with Project X 6.0s. They are too stiff for me right now, but the s300s didn't feel stiff enough. Though, I'm confident I'll grow into them.

I still hit the ball QUITE high on good solid shots despite the "low traj." shaft and the stiffness. I wonder how much higher the ball could possibly go with Proj X High launch.

Admittedly it's not easy to get the 3 iron in the air like the others... but when I do it still goes up a good ways.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

look the 5.5 Rifle shafts are just plain stiff shafts and have a more penatrating ball flight, but I would seriusly look into getting SST PURE for all of your irons shafts. This system finds the center of each shaft and aligns it proper with the face. The results are unbelieveable! A club test showed that with a swing robot the shot dispersion with regular shafts was 20 yards left and right whereas with the PURE shafts it was only 2 yards ask around to PURE your irons.

look the 5.5 Rifle shafts are just plain stiff shafts and have a more penatrating ball flight, but I would seriusly look into getting SST PURE for all of your irons shafts. This system finds the center of each shaft and aligns it proper with the face. The results are unbelieveable! A club test showed that with a swing robot the shot dispersion with regular shafts was 20 yards left and right whereas with the PURE shafts it was only 2 yards ask around to PURE your irons.

A more penetrating flight than

what exactly? A Rifle of the same flex as a DGS300 will fly higher assuming all else is equal. It's meant to. SSTPuring is over-rated as is "spining". It probably helps a bit but there is no way Iron Byron is going to hit, say, a DGS300 non-Pured club up to 20 yards off line and a Pured version of the same only 2 yards off.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

How has your ball flight changed between you new and old set of irons???

Yes!

I hit a really high ball prior to that. Now my ball flight rises quickly but levels off at its peak....It seems to penetrate far more now. My distance has improved from about 160 with a 6 iron to 170-175..also iam more accurate.

You need to do a little bit more homework. There's more to pureing a shaft than finding "the center of the shaft", as a matter of fact it has nothing to do actually with finding the "center" of the shaft, it has to do with finding spine, NBP and flo of each individual shaft. Some swear by it and others think it's hooey. I think at least a person should be consistant thruout the set. I find NBP and align towards the target in my shafts. Usually the flo is pretty close to the NBP. 5.5 is on basically their stiff and 6.0 is somewhere between stiff and X. As far as ball flight goes, it depends on the type of rifle you have, there are different kick points depending on different shafts in the set ie: Low kick for the higher # irons and high kick for the higher # irons, These are flighted rifles. There are Tour flighted which the kick is based on the flex rating also. Normally the softer the flex the lower the kick point.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I just got custom fit for new Irons. The shafts are Rifle Project x 6.0 half inch longer than standard.

Those are my exact shaft specs! I moved from regular flex to the 6.0's. I sacrificed about 1/2 a club in distance, but picked up WAY more control! (look at me, working the ball!)

sorry a bit out of topic.. just wondering, how much will Project X cost in US?

They're about $30 per shaft MSRP, but you can buy them cheaper as pulls, on BST's or ebay auctions.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Note: This thread is 5544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!