IGNORED

A few questions i would like to have answered by every golfer

Note: This thread is 6584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey, I'm mike and im currently an 8 handicap...I play every day for my HS golf team, and i am continuing my career in college shortly. When not playing for my team, i am at my local course practicing and playing for hours on end. I'd have to say that Golf is just what i love. But i do have a few quesitons for anyone who feels like replying. Everyone thinks they know the basics of the game, but thats not true. Golf is a game where we are constantly learning new things. Especially now, with the new age of technology pushing golf further and further along, new legal limits are being met and pushed every day. So here are my couple of Questions...and no, you won't be graded on this

1) do you think the USGA should reconsider their limits on certain prospectives such as COR limit or club limit or anything of the such?

2) Is technology making the game of golf fall lower in terms of its level of sport-hood? does technology make the game of golf easier to play?

3)If you could tell a person new to the game any one piece of advice, what would it be?

4) Match play or stroke (medal)?

5) is golf about strength, consistancy, keeping the right state of mind, or something else?

thats all for now, I'd appreciate some answers, as well as any other questions anyone else may have! thanks a lot...

Mike

In My Bag:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Ti 454 9*
3 wood: Taylor Made 300 series
5 wood: Orlimar trimetal
Irons: Taylor Made 360 seriesWedges: Cleveland 56*, Tommy Armor 60*Putter: Carbite center shaft

1)I think the club limit is perfect, if anything they should make it a 13 club maximum, but they should definately not go any higher.

2)Obviously technology is making the game of golf different ( wood as to metal), but easier? I don't believe so, b/c even if you do have the best equipment in the world...you can still be a bad player.

3)Practice, although practice can never make perfect, it can be very close to being perfect...you can only be good if you practice.

4)Stroke play...in match play you can have a 10 and you only lose one hole as compared to losing 5 or 6 strokes on the hole...stroke is a much more mental game in my opinion.

5)Consistency because if you have the same swing over and over again, you will know exactly where the ball is going 90 percent of the time.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Interesting questions!

1. I'm fine with a COR limit. And the club limit is brilliant. Why? Because it messes with my head every season. Check my sig. I have the standard 3-P iron set. If I add the Old School standard 3 fairway woods, sand wedge and putter. That's 13 ... no sweat.

BUT then I find that a 60* wedge is awesome and I have an extra spot so in it goes. Wait there's a 9 degree gap between my 47* PW and my 60* LW. Oh well, I'll pull the 4 iron since I can cover that distance with a cut 3 or a hammered 5, and I'll add a 52* GW. Hey these hybrids are great! I'll can add one in place of my 5 wood, but I like this 24," Out comes the 3I and 5W; in goes the hybrids. But now there's too much gap between the 24H and the 5I, so out comes the SW (I'll just stay out of the bunkers!) and in goes the 4I. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it ... at least this weekend.

2. Technology changes every sport, and that's not necessarily bad. Just 45 years ago, the pole vault record was in the low teens. In comes fiberglass poles and today it's over 20 feet. That same sort of increase in golf would have today's pros hitting it over 500 yards instead of the mere 350+ they are achieving. I think the answer at the pro level is faster, smaller greens. It's still a level-playing field. Everyone has access to (basically) the same technology so I don't have a big problem with it. Now if we get to the point where you can swing out of your shoes and magically hit the fairway every time. That would be taking the skill out of the game, and that would be bad.

3. Keep your head on the same level (if not still) through the swing. I know there are good players who get away with dipping their heads, but for most people, no good can come of it. Plus, it applies to all shots.

4. Stroke play is the purest form of the game, I think. But match play is a lot of fun.

5. Consistency. No doubt.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) do you think the USGA should reconsider their limits on certain prospectives such as COR limit or club limit or anything of the such?

Tweaks will always be made...but I don't think they should be made to any great degree. You can't keep asking club manufacturers to hit a moving target. It's insane.

2) Is technology making the game of golf fall lower in terms of its level of sport-hood? does technology make the game of golf easier to play?

Everything is evolving. Golf courses, technology, fitness...all of these things have effects on golf and it's level of difficulty. I still see a ton of hackers out there so I don't think it's getting a whole lot easier.

3)If you could tell a person new to the game any one piece of advice, what would it be?

Don't over-think. Just commit to a shot and swing.

Most of my golf (like everyone) is stroke play...but I enjoy match play a bit more. I think stroke play is more fair and the best players will consistently rise to the top.

5) is golf about strength, consistancy, keeping the right state of mind, or something else?

All of the above...but you can't be consistent unless you are a mental wreck.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator

No. I think reducing the club limit even as low as 10 would have next to no impact on amateurs (not upper-tier amateurs, anyway), and surprisingly little impact on pros. So, while it could be done, what's the point?

As for the CoR, it is what it is, and this ain't the time to change it.

Sure. And the new bunkers they added at my course recently make it tougher to play. Golf is as balanced now as it has been, I feel. Clearly technology helps me play better. I wouldn't drive the ball as far as I do now if I was using a steel-shafted persimmon driver with balata balls. Has technology done anything to harm the game? No, I don't believe it has.

And think about this. You're standing on some grass with a stick in your hand and there's a 4.25" hole 400 yards away, and a lot of people expect to be able to hit a tiny little ball into that hole with only four swings with those sticks. I think a helluva lot would have to change before the level of "sporthood" ever diminished.

Have fun. It's just a game.

Match play, because I appreciate playing someone and not something. It's a good change of pace.

Still, medal play has its place. Like 99% of the tournaments professionals play.

See #3.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No, the rules of the game are set to level the playing field. Too many changes messes that idea up.

Easier!? I believe the last statistic I saw on this said only 15% of all golfers can break 100. Golf is not an easy game. Technology has brought it to the masses and made it more enjoyable for all but it is still very difficult to be good at. Just go to any driving range and watch!

Practice, practice, practice if you want to be good. But even if your not good its still fun. Have fun when you play.

I prefer match play because that means I am playing against somebody and it keeps me concentrating. I prefer head to head competition over playing the course.

Who said golf is about the six inches between your ears? Well thats true. Golf is very mental and a thinking persons game. But you have to have the physical stuff down as well.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I appreciate all of your comments so far, it's been great! I see from the second question that most people dont think it makes the game easier, and i would have to agree to a certain extent. But i guess with some of the responses people are saying "added bunkers, tighter fairways and smaller greens solve that issue". I can see where that comes from, but i guess my question then would be when will it stop? technology doesn't, nor will it ever stop advancing. So when does the golf course stop adding bunkers, tightening fairways, and making greens redicliously small?

My opinion as far as technology goes is simple. Don't change the rules. The game of golf is difficult no matter what name brand you carry in your bag. i dont care if you spend $5000 on your custom top-of-the-line brand or made them yourself from scrap metal, a player plays the game, not the equipment (I know, its a stretch, but I wanted to get my point across...). I think that the USGA should hold firm to its rules for now, because i don't want the game of golf to ever be mastered. which, by the way, i feel that nobody has ever MASTERED the game. Find me the Perfect player and i will sell you my soul...thats how sure I am...

I like having a limit on clubs, but it is costly and it makes me lack confidence in my club selection. I carry a bunch of my extra clubs in the trunk of my car (a few drivers, a set of irons, a few wedges, and 2 putters....its a lot, and i have more at home...) to prepare for the conditions. I have assembled a lot of my own clubs, and i really enjoy doing so. but to have to pick 14 clubs and know that you need to hit any shot with only 14 clubs to choose from can mess with you. however, although i seem to be complaining a lot, i would not want them to increase the limit. if you cant pull off the round with 14 or less clubs, then you cant consider yourself a true golfer. i think that golf would be CRAZZZZZYYY if everyone carried ten drivers with different lofts and ones to favor the draw or fade, a myriad of irons to account for ANY distance, and wedges covering every degree and bounce combination imaginable. if that were the case, what fun would golf be?? I'm sure you are familiar with "3-club golf" which, in my opinion, is a GREAT way to become a versitle player. in addition, it also goes to show that golf does not need to be played with all 14 clubs.

As for a single piece of advice, I'll admit, i cant find just one. I'm sure you've heard them all, but i'm going to list a few anyways...
1) Play smarter not harder...my dad always tells me this and if you think this to yourself before committing to a difficult or near-round-killing shot, you minght just be able to salvage your round. So in other words the Brain prevails over the muscles...
2) Keep your head down
3) swing with confidence and control.
4) KEEP YOU'RE COOL, NO MATTER WHAT. This is how i have won a lot of matches...opponent hits a bad shot or two, gets flustered, doesn't take his time...and its over...it sticks with him for the rest of the round...which leads me to the next and last one for now...
5) Dont dwell on the past, take it one hole at a time one shot at a time one breath at a time. dont think for a second about that missed 3 footer for birdie or that sliced drive. its a mental game, and in order to keep your game in check you need ot have selective memory on the course.

I dont have any more than that for now, but please, keep responding and if you have any questions for me or anyone, feel 110% free to ask, as long as its golf related of course...

In My Bag:
Irons: Taylor Made 360 seriesWedges: Cleveland 56*, Tommy Armor 60*Putter: Carbite center shaft

Even the pro's carry extra clubs in the trunk, play practice rounds with extra clubs in the bag and have to decide which 14 to leave in the bag for that course.
When a pro plays a course they take notes, so when they return to that course they have and idea which clubs they need and the first question they ask are their any changes to the course since last year.
I used to be the guy that had to have a set of clubs now my bag is filled with clubs I hit well, 2/3 irons gone, 5 wood gone. replaced with wedges and hybrids.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

No...it should be stay as it is...

Yes, it sure make the golf easier to play, however if you don't have the skill, i bag of high tech club won't help much either...

Don't give up in the early stage of learning golf

i prefer stroke play as i can play without stress from my flight mates...

Consistancy and right mind is the most important one for me...
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

On COR perspectives I say why not, they did in Europe and I don't see Europeans dominating the game like some might think such a change would cause. Realistically if the paying field is level eveyone has the same advantage or disadvantage. As for the club limit though, i do not see a necessity to increase it, it needs a limit and I see no reason why carrying 5 wedges, or 5 woods would increase a players ability.

I think you need only look at the changes Augusta has made over the past 7 or 8 years to answer that question. Is it easier to play the game now, not in my opinion, easier to hit the ball farther, spin the ball faster, sure but as many have mentioned the game is still difficult to fully and completly control.

Enjoy the game, enjoy what you see while you are on the course, enjoy the people you play with, do not take this game to serious. Remember the guys and gals you see on TV do this for a living, when you go to work for 8 hours a day, you are doing your job, you want to be like them, quit your job and play golf as much as you work, and maybe, just maybe you will win your weekend skins games with your pals.

Match, I am a traditionalist and IMHO match play encompasses everything that makes this sport great.

Answer this question and I suspect you will be able to answer the meaning of life. Golf is about different things to many people, I have played with great players who for a lack of a better word I would consider idiot savants. I personally think its more about inner strength than anything else. Restraint at times, knowing when test your limits at others, perspective and of course hindsight are two things all golfers have, sometimes more evident than others.

An old Golf Pro who taught me when I was young always told me during lessons to swing within myself. It took me many years to understand that it was not only applicable to my swing, but to what I actually did on the golf course. I find now as I grow older that many of the things told to me as a youth have far more meaing now on the golf course, and I hear them now louder than ever.

Well, I think there's kind of a double standard here. At the pro level, the whole Driver/Pitching Wedge routine gets a little boring to watch, and alternatively I don't like watching them play 8,000 yard courses comprised of 14 par 5s either. So I'd like to see more limits imposed on the pro game. On the other hand, FOR ME the current technology is just fine.

Well, my lowest round ever (a 78) was posted about 20 years ago using a 20-year-old set of Haig Ultra thin blades and a laminated wooden-headed driver, so I guess I'm not really reaping all that much of a benefit from the new technology. Of course, 20 years ago I weighed 180 with a 32" waist and was running 7 miles a day; since then I've gained 40 pounds of middle-aged paunch and developed arthritis in my hip and lower back. Technology can only do so much for us.

Practice more than you play.

Match.

Well, all of the above, really, but I think the mental aspect of the game is probably most important after you learn the basic skills. Taking myself as a pitiful case study, I hit the ball as well as most single-digit players that I know, but I have the absolute worst mental game you've ever seen. I throw away on average about 7-8 strokes a round between putting "yips" and blowup holes. It's very sad to watch, but on the other hand I'm great to have as the "C" or "D" player in a 4-ball Scramble. I play "Forrest Gump Golf": golf is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get...

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

No, I think golf has settled into some of its traditions and the 14 club limit is one of them. As for limiting COR, we should leave the game right where its at now. Rolling anything back is going to hurt the game, manufacturers, and players. Can you imagine TaylorMade trying to sell a driver with less MOI? They'd have to go with the "less is more" marketing scheme.

Golf is advancing as a sport. I'll take all the technology available thank you very much and yes, technology helps, which is a good thing.

Every time you get out to play or practice make sure and have fun. Life is too short to be sour. Be as competative as you can be but enjoy yourself and make sure your partners enjoy being around you.

Match.

Golf is about keeping the right state of mind. Nothing substitutes positive thoughts. Negativity can take a game south faster than just about anything.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• 2 weeks later...
anyone else? any other questions?

In My Bag:

1. cor, club limit, leave decision alone. If technology is not limited then I think eventually the costs of playing will discourage most people from playing. I feel that high cost of new golf courses is very related to the expections that players are developing that the best courses are ones maintained like Augusta National etc.
2. I actually think most of the technology helps good players more than poor ones, most of the people at the range I see, (public, midlevel course), don't make a good enough swing to gain much benefit. A bogey golfer or better or someone with a good swing but not very strong physically may benefit the most. Sub 6 or over 30 probably the least, one doesn't need it and the other is not consistent enough to gain much advantage. For myself the lob wedge has aided me more than and gains in Driver technology etc.
3. I think golf is not a game of perfect, is the best advice I have heard. I see to many good golfers upset and not enjoying the round because the nit pick every shot. Or maybe I am just happy being mediocre.
4. Medal its like a new game each hole.
5. Passion is what really matters. Does indulging your passion give you satisfaction. No matter the outcome then you have won.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 6584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!