IGNORED

New Wedges - Vokey or Scratch

Note: This thread is 5537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This summer I've decided to put my equipment investment towards a new set of wedges. Definitely 1, probably 2, and maybe even 3, but doubtful I'll get 4 (not a really good reason to replace my PW).

Currently I have a Vokey 52, 55, and a Cleveland 60 low bounce. I've always like the 55 and the 60, but never cared for the 52 and the distance gain over the 55 isn't enough (doesn't fill the gap).

Anyway, I've been looking at the wedge offerings out there and had pretty much decided on Vokey SM 50, SM 54 or SM 56 (custom to 55), and possibly 60, in that purchase order.

However, I've seen a lot of information about the Scratch wedges lately. I love the way they look (not a lot of crap on them) and based on the buzz it appears that they are making a name for themselves. I also like that they have so many options for different swing types.

So has anyone played them? What do you think? Would you recomend them over the Vokeys, and if so WHY?

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I'd never pay what they ask for Scratch new. If you'd shop around some forum BST's, you probably could pick up some cheaper. Personally I don't think the performance difference warrants the price.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

If you have the money, go for it. Scratch irons and wedges look absolutely sick. Here is the TST review for Scratch wedges. These are some awesome pics of Scratch blades. For what I know, it seems like customization and feel is what separates Scratch clubs from others.

Just depends... Vokeys are cast wedges and Scratch are forged... I guess it depends on what sort off feel that you want.

If you are patient, Scratch is releasing a new line of cast wedges in the next few months that are going to be at a standard price point with the same scratch quality.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

For me, I can't get myself to shell out that much money for a wedge. If you can, Scratch makes a sweet product.
Vokeys are really nice though. I'm not sure that Scratch wedges are worth about $100 more, but that's just my opinion. Scratch wedges are better from what I've heard, but for the price of 2 of them, you could get 3 Vokeys.

Price is the only issue I'd have.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I love the Vokeys, I have never personally hit a Scratch but its all about feel.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Just called the guys at Scratch the other day. The new scratch 1018 forged wedges will cost $149.00. They also have a cast version that is made from the same steel as Vokeys that will come in at $100.00. The two different wedges will come in 6 different grinds and several lofts, and should be in very soon (i.e. within a matter of weeks). The really expensive wedges are the custom tour shop models that are hand made with custom grinds, finish, stamping etc...they will set you back 300 bills. So the bottom line is you can get a Scratch forged wedge now for ~150 or a cast one that should feel similar to the vokey for 100. I had a nice conversation with one of the guys there and told him exactly what I was looking for and my swing style and he suggested a grind for me. Can't remember his name but he seemed to really know his stuff. I think am going to order one...seems like a pretty great deal.

Vokey vokey vokey

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I always played Mizuno forged wedges and like how they play.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I doubt very seriously if you can tell the difference in feel on the same ball struck well with either.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Just called the guys at Scratch the other day. The new scratch 1018 forged wedges will cost $149.00.

Thanks for the first hand feedback from your discussions with scratch!

I'm surprised at how many comments there are about cost in this thread. I'm assuming that was based on some of the specialty items that cost 200+. If the new forged are 149 that's only an extra 40 bucks compared to the new vokeys. If I couldn't blow an extra 40 bucks on a wedge I wouldn't play golf P.S. If you look at my bag there isn't a single item in it (except balls) that I paid full retail price for. Some was free, some was used, some was brand new but last years model, or I got at a discount. I'm usually pretty thrifty, but it's time to get some brand new stuff that is EXACTLY what I want.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

Absolute....based on your last post you may be interested in Scratch's special sale on last years JLM wedges. These are forged and were originally $200 if i recall correctly.
They're clearing out 58 & 60 for $100 ( or 2 for $150) . I know you weren't looking for a 58 , and 60 was last on your list....however it might entice you to give them a try.

I just ordered some wedges the other day from Scratch.

I was a little disappointed with the new 2009 line of Vokeys. Thought they would definitely have a grind for me but they just didn't have the feel I needed. I will always play a 50° 200 series Vokey (as long as they make it) but the new 2009 Spin Milled just wasn't my cup of tea. They changed the shape a little bit, a little more spoony. They look awesome, tried to fall in love with them, just couldn't. Sooo, after looking for, and, at everything side by side with my old Adams wedge I love, I gave the guys at Scratch a call and ordered a TNC 53° (bent to 54°) and a EGG 60°. Got the grips I use (GP ND) and my NN stamped on them also. Should have them in a few weeks and we will see how they perform as compared to my ole trusty rusty's of old.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

Just bought a brand new Vokey SM 56 the other day, took it to the range and man is it sweet. I dont' know about everyone else - but in my opinion Titleist is Titleist. Theres a reason they are the best manufacturer of golf equipment. Quality product at a fair price point.

Go with the Vokeys

X86 stand bag
905T Driver
AP2 4-W
R5 3 wood
3 hybrid Vokey SM 56 #1 putter Pro V1/Pro V1x

Just bought a brand new Vokey SM 56 the other day, took it to the range and man is it sweet. I dont' know about everyone else - but in my opinion Titleist is Titleist. Theres a reason they are the best manufacturer of golf equipment. Quality product at a fair price point.

I'm not going to debate whether Titleist, Scratch or any othe product is of high quality... but don't be confused with the "best" golf manufacturer and the "best" golf marketer.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I have 3 tour department wedges from Scratch. They are fantastic wedges. Even at the price, I'd pick them over Vokeys anyday (and I did).

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Note: This thread is 5537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!