IGNORED

What Does the Average Weekend Golfer Shoot?

SLeDHeaDDude800
Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No hard sell. I'm done now.

@Wildcatfan check out some reviews here

http://thesandtrap.com/products/lowest-score-wins-barzeski-wedzik

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Speaking of stars these are the ones I keep every round. Fairways hit, #of putts and #of shots from 125 in to get on the green. The higher the fairways hit and lower the other two are the lower my score.

Putting is one of the worst stats that has the worst correlation to score. FIR is probably second worst. If you're interested in stats, you should pick up a copy of the book on the left or in my signature. You'll learn a fair amount, and given your statistical background, I think you'll agree with most or all of it. No hard sell. I'm done now. But really, putting is a HORRIBLE stat. Easily one of the least important.

Going to have to check out this book. Looks like it is up my alley.

• 2 weeks later...

I played on the weekend in a group with a guy i'd never met who had a handicap of 10. I wasn't scoring his card, but my mates instead who I play regularly with. We always play by the rules, as we are both trying to improve and believe this is the way to know correctly where we are at. We usually score in the high 90s, low 100s.

This other guy had two drops, two blow out holes, no birdies, and a couple of bogeys and double bogeys. He wasn't happy with his form on the day either. At the end of the round we had a look at his card and his marker had him down for an 83 off the stick, 12 over par, which was impossible considering what we'd seen. I was really taken aback that someone with a low handicap like his would cheat at least 5 or 6 shots.

I believe a lot of people fudge their numbers every round, not just high handicappers using shoe wedges and gimmes etc but low handicappers as well who are desperate to maintain their bragging rights with their mates..

I played on the weekend in a group with a guy i'd never met who had a handicap of 10. I wasn't scoring his card, but my mates instead who I play regularly with. We always play by the rules, as we are both trying to improve and believe this is the way to know correctly where we are at. We usually score in the high 90s, low 100s.

This other guy had two drops, two blow out holes, no birdies, and a couple of bogeys and double bogeys. He wasn't happy with his form on the day either. At the end of the round we had a look at his card and his marker had him down for an 83 off the stick, 12 over par, which was impossible considering what we'd seen. I was really taken aback that someone with a low handicap like his would cheat at least 5 or 6 shots.

I believe a lot of people fudge their numbers every round, not just high handicappers using shoe wedges and gimmes etc but low handicappers as well who are desperate to maintain their bragging rights with their mates..

Seems reasonable.

6 (2+2+1+1) + 2 (cap at 7) + 2 (cap at 7) + 2 lateral drops on the blowup holes (1+1)= 12 over par. Could be even less, but he needs to qualify with ESC if his blowup holes were more than 7.

I usually write the raw score and let the SW figure out the ESC stuff for handicap.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, my guess would be somewhere on the plus side of 100. It takes some level of commitment to shoot in the 90s.

Of course, this is assuming that the golfers in question are honest with their scorecards.

x2

My take on golf scores/handicaps, being a golfer who tries to get out once week in season, is that it doesn't really matter other than for reference (like posting it in my profile here) .On the day, what matters is that everyone in the group has a good time and enjoys the round. I would say the average is north of 100. Golf is a game of ups and downs; everyone knows if a decent player is struggling or a hacker is finding a way to grind out some bogeys, and they will have the same score. If you struggle, come back and do better next time. If you play well, it will reflect in your score, and your eager to come out try and challenge yourself to continue playing well and improve. If your shooting over 100 (which I still do occasionally), who cares about your score? Its obvious you're not burning up the course anyway. If your breaking 100, you're figuring your way around the course and hitting a few decent shots, why fudge your score? If you're breaking 90, your eliminating multiple blow up holes and you're driving and/or chipping /putting decently.

My take on golf scores/handicaps, being a golfer who tries to get out once week in season, is that it doesn't really matter other than for reference (like posting it in my profile here) .On the day, what matters is that everyone in the group has a good time and enjoys the round.

I would say the average is north of 100. Golf is a game of ups and downs; everyone knows if a decent player is struggling or a hacker is finding a way to grind out some bogeys, and they will have the same score. If you struggle, come back and do better next time. If you play well, it will reflect in your score, and your eager to come out try and challenge yourself to continue playing well and improve. If your shooting over 100 (which I still do occasionally), who cares about your score? Its obvious you're not burning up the course anyway. If your breaking 100, you're figuring your way around the course and hitting a few decent shots, why fudge your score? If you're breaking 90, your eliminating multiple blow up holes and you're driving and/or chipping /putting decently.

If you are talking about a <=60 CR course I would agree that just north of 100 average is possible. My guess is on a reasonably difficult course it would be 120 or more if they don't run out of balls or get asked to leave the course by 100s of angry golfers behind them.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There is a wide range of scores to be had for the average weekend golfer. I know a few people that don't even play every week and occasionally break 80 and some people that play more than once a week who rarely break 100. Personally, I couldn't hope to be a better than bogey golfer on a consistent basis unless I had more time to play (and I couldn't see too many people being a single digit handicapper without playing and/or practicing more than once week). Personally, I don't care about other people's scores either, but if you're saying you have a 12 handicap or less and then shaving strokes off your game to break 100 and I'm struggling to post a legitimate 99, I might raise an eyebrow. I have run across this scenario a number of times and we all know these guys aren't fooling anyone, so why be bothered by it. So, as far as what the average actual score is, the greatest distribution of scores should be between 90-110, add a stroke or two allowing for the foot wedges, mulligans, uncounted drops, etc. And you have north of 100.

There is a wide range of scores to be had for the average weekend golfer. I know a few people that don't even play every week and occasionally break 80 and some people that play more than once a week who rarely break 100. Personally, I couldn't hope to be a better than bogey golfer on a consistent basis unless I had more time to play (and I couldn't see too many people being a single digit handicapper without playing and/or practicing more than once week).

Personally, I don't care about other people's scores either, but if you're saying you have a 12 handicap or less and then shaving strokes off your game to break 100 and I'm struggling to post a legitimate 99, I might raise an eyebrow. I have run across this scenario a number of times and we all know these guys aren't fooling anyone, so why be bothered by it.

So, as far as what the average actual score is, the greatest distribution of scores should be between 90-110, add a stroke or two allowing for the foot wedges, mulligans, uncounted drops, etc. And you have north of 100.

Agree, and 110 + foot wedges and mulligans is probably 120-ish. It takes a lot more skill to shoot bogey than most people think.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

IMO more men could play bogey golf if they stopped making poor on course decisions. The guy that struggles to control a driver could hit three mediocre mid-short irons to the green on most holes and two putt more often than not. What I see the average weekend duffer do is chase balls. Usually it's a shit drive left or right that doesn't get any closer to the green than a 8 iron would have followed by a another crap shot with a fairway wood trying to "save" the hole. It certainly isn't the key to success or anything, closer to the green is always better. But few accomplish that with longer clubs. For them closer and more consistent would be playing what they can control.

Dave :-)

If your shooting over 105-110, a lower course rating isn't going to help you much. If it's <60, were talking a chip and put. Most tees at courses I play at are high 60's, low 70's. Depends on the slope too. A high cr and slope is gonna kill someone who regularly shoots in the 100's on your average course. But I would expect someone wo gets out once a week on a consistent basis to break 100 regularly, if they are the least bit athletic. But not everyone is (and not all, but most are honest), so north of 100 :)

IMO more men could play bogey golf if they stopped making poor on course decisions. The guy that struggles to control a driver could hit three mediocre mid-short irons to the green on most holes and two putt more often than not. What I see the average weekend duffer do is chase balls. Usually it's a shit drive left or right that doesn't get any closer to the green than a 8 iron would have followed by a another crap shot with a fairway wood trying to "save" the hole. It certainly isn't the key to success or anything, closer to the green is always better. But few accomplish that with longer clubs. For them closer and more consistent would be playing what they can control.

I struggle with trying to swing naturally in a controlled manner, versus trying to overpower the club. Understanding what is "controlled" is part of the struggle.

If your shooting over 105-110, a lower course rating isn't going to help you much. If it's <60, were talking a chip and put. Most tees at courses I play at are high 60's, low 70's. Depends on the slope too. A high cr and slope is gonna kill someone who regularly shoots in the 100's on your average course. But I would expect someone wo gets out once a week on a consistent basis to break 100 regularly, if they are the least bit athletic. But not everyone is (and not all, but most are honest), so north of 100 :)

It is if you are hitting balls OB and racking up the strokes because you need to add 2 strokes for every attempt.

Many executive courses are rated 50 to 60 (63):

Here's one I go to sometimes: https://www.americangolf.com/public-courses/los-angeles/scholl-canyon-golf-course?cid=google&kw;=scholl%2520canyon%2520golf&gclid;=CKjz593iscECFcJDMgodBwsARQ

Another one: http://chevychasecc.com/?page_id=32

And yet one more, but this one has water hazards: http://alhambragolf.com/ag/the-course/scorecard/

I started playing these courses when I decided to really learn to play golf and focus more on my swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Which is why I think too many play too far back. Move up, don't try to force the perfect shot 14 times when you can't hit two great shots back to back and score better. Lately I've seen more men on the tees in the 6000-6200 range and it's a good thing. Not many that can't break 85 are north of the blue markers often on par 4's after pulling driver.

Which is why I think too many play too far back. Move up, don't try to force the perfect shot 14 times when you can't hit two great shots back to back and score better. Lately I've seen more men on the tees in the 6000-6200 range and it's a good thing. Not many that can't break 85 are north of the blue markers often on par 4's after pulling driver.

Agreed.

Admittedly, I have been playing around far too much on the longer tees. It's time to move on to the next phase of my development, and move forward to get used to that "thunk" sound of a ball hitting a green.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I play from tees that give me a legit shot to break 80. Honestly I don't enjoy golf enough to go out and torture myself. And that is what poor scores are for me, torture. I'd rather not waste the time or money.

I struggle with trying to swing naturally in a controlled manner, versus trying to overpower the club. Understanding what is "controlled" is part of the struggle. It is if you are hitting balls OB and racking up the strokes because you need to add 2 strokes for every attempt. Many executive courses are rated 50 to 60 (63): Here's one I go to sometimes: [URL=https://www.americangolf.com/public-courses/los-angeles/scholl-canyon-golf-course?cid=google&kw;=scholl%2520canyon%2520golf&gclid;=CKjz593iscECFcJDMgodBwsARQ]https://www.americangolf.com/public-courses/los-angeles/scholl-canyon-golf-course?cid=google&kw;=scholl%2520canyon%2520golf&gclid;=CKjz593iscECFcJDMgodBwsARQ[/URL] Another one: [URL=http://chevychasecc.com/?page_id=32]http://chevychasecc.com/?page_id=32[/URL] And yet one more, but this one has water hazards: [URL=http://alhambragolf.com/ag/the-course/scorecard/]http://alhambragolf.com/ag/the-course/scorecard/[/URL] I started playing these courses when I decided to really learn to play golf and focus more on my swing.

Well, I assume by average score, it means on a par 70-72. If I'm playing an executive course (par high 50's to low 60's?) and shooting bogey golf my average score will be down 10-12 strokes over a par 72. Has no bearing on my handicap. Which is why the only practical application for a handicap is in competition among golfers of various skill levels (and what tees you should be hitting it fromoutside of competition). The course rating is lower on an executive course directly in relation to par, not the difficulty of the course. If we're talking the average par 72, a bogey golfer is shooting a 90. If you're a 13 handicap, I would expect you to break 90 on a par 72 > 90% of the time, under 80 for an executive.

I play from tees that give me a legit shot to break 80. Honestly I don't enjoy golf enough to go out and torture myself. And that is what poor scores are for me, torture. I'd rather not waste the time or money.

I would need to play from 5800 yards for this. I played it once and did have a good chance to break 80 with an 81. The other time I played from the 6050 yard tees, and shot 85 with some dumb avoidable mistakes.

You're right, there was a higher fun factor index on the shorter track and tees.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!