IGNORED

R9 --just tried it

Note: This thread is 5478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hit the Taylormade R9 today. The club set up very nice, lloked great at address, and had a nice hue ot its crown. It hit it and was devastated. The driver I was waiting 6 months for felt awful. I will not be buying a new driver this year it lloks like.

For those of you who have tried it....discuss your thoughts!

Driver: Adams 9015 proto (ozik matrix shaft)
3w: TM V-Steel 15* grafalloy blue (42 inches)
3-pw: Miura Tournament Blades w/ rifle 5.5
wedges: 588 Clevelands 47* 51* 56*
putter: Scotty Cameron oil can (97)

Both. the club felt dead, if you will. Im currently hitting an old Macgregor, but it feels hot. taylormade's traditionally have "hot' faces but have lacked a workability, in m opinion. The R9 was dead. The launch monitor showed me losing distance compared to my old driver as well. I like the look a a more traditional driver, which the Tylormade gave me, but it didn't give me results.

I'm gonna cross my fingers for the ft-9, but if it doesn't give me results, I might just save a lot of money and not update the old boom stick.

i hit it yesterday, and it felt exactly like the r7 limited. It looked like it too, except it didn't look nearly as triangular as the limited. Junk...typical taylormade.

Put that bad boy in the BST over at GolfWRX.com RIGHT NOW and I'll guarantee you'll recoupe alot of your money.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

think he just demoed it. i didn't like it either....or the ft-9.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

If it's so dreadful, why are so many TM pros gaming it so early? You can't say it's because they are paid to, because look how many Titleist "ambassadors" (dont you love that term? A bit like "patrons" at The Masters) held on to their 905Rs when the 907D2 came out.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Just my opinion. Sergio loves it apparently. I do not. I also think for the average weekend warrior changing too many specs on a driver can be detrimental. TaylorMade is notorius for giving the illusion that on ecan buy a game. My 2 cents. And no, I did not buy the club.

Put that bad boy in the BST over at GolfWRX.com RIGHT NOW and I'll guarantee you'll recoupe alot of your money.

I really have problems understanding what you wrote tbh (BST? recoupe?) - but, the last time i checked the R9 was heavly praised at golfwrx, this thread just tuned down my expections quite a bit. But i will give it a demo anyways..

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Hit the Taylormade R9 today. The club set up very nice, lloked great at address, and had a nice hue ot its crown. It hit it and was devastated. The driver I was waiting 6 months for felt awful. I will not be buying a new driver this year it lloks like.

Felt the same way, was expecting to buy a new TM driver this year, tried the tour burner, r7 limited,09 burner, and the r9 didn't like any of them, I think TM is so wraped up in putting a new driver out every 3 months that the quality just isn't there any more. I've narrowed it down to 3 clubs and soon will go through a fitting and see which one performs the best. Cobra S91 pro s Titleist 909D3 and Mizuno MP 600 all of which we're far better than the r9 to me anyway.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

HAHA. Those were my top 3 as well. I really liked all three. I was scared of the weight moving gizmo on the mizuno thugh. Im going to hit the ft-9 and now the DYMO and see if anything changes. I might just be too stubborn to buy a new driver and wait for the reincarnation of the 975J, the only driver I loved like a child.

• Administrator
Both. the club felt dead, if you will.

I think the FCT has a lot to do with this. I'm publishing a review soon and it feels a bit dead to me too. The ball still goes, but perception is important.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really have problems understanding what you wrote tbh (BST? recoupe?) - but, the last time i checked the R9 was heavly praised at golfwrx, this thread just tuned down my expections quite a bit. But i will give it a demo anyways..

BST = Buy, Sell, Trade

recoupe = recuperate

HAHA. Those were my top 3 as well. I really liked all three. I was scared of the weight moving gizmo on the mizuno thugh. Im going to hit the ft-9 and now the DYMO and see if anything changes. I might just be too stubborn to buy a new driver and wait for the reincarnation of the 975J, the only driver I loved like a child.

I owned a 975J and the 909D3 is about as close as your going to get these day's, actually the 909D3 isnt really that far off, maybe the 905T was a little bit closer but you should try the 909D3, if you hav'nt you will like it I'll bet you that.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

Did you demo the R9 with the same shaft as in your Mactech? For me the 'feel' of a driver head is mainly a result of the shaft rather than the head (too tip stiff feels terrible, tip soft feels solid and 'hot').

In my Tour bag
Driver - Cyberstar (9*), cut to 43.5 inches long with tonnes of lead tape attatched to the head.
Fairway 909F2 (13.5*), Diamana blue 83 shaft, 42 inches long
Rescues Heaven wood (17*)
909h (21*) Diamana blue shaft Irons Pro M (3-PW), Rifle 5.0 shafts Wedges KZG TRS (52* +...

No sir I didn't. It was the stock fuji I believe. I actually liked the shaft better in the R9, my NV feels a little wippy for an Xstiff. But you're right, shafts make a huge impact. My gripes were more with the head feel than anything else.

Well it seams to me that TM had a nervous breakdown. And felt that they had to come out with stupid amount of equip. that is all the same thing. The r9 looks like the exact head as the r7 "limited". I've just never been able to hit Tm's techy crap they call drivers.

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

BST = Buy, Sell, Trade

Tanx Mucho!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Note: This thread is 5478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!