IGNORED

My Swing (TN94z)

TN94z
Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
As far as thinking too much, I was just doing what the book said to do on page 29, " learn the basics in 30 minutes."

Fair enough. I think that's probably not something I agree with specifically because I think the vast majority of golfers can't really "feel" things, let alone feel them correctly, as well as they think they might.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Point taken. I will focus on the weight forwad for now. Thanks for changing the title.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Point taken. I will focus on the weight forwad for now. Thanks for changing the title.

yea i agree. Just focus on keeping the majority of your weight forward for the entire swing. Thats how I started before there was even a stack n tilt swing model that I knew of

I hit 100 more today while my step-son was in his golf academy. I focused only on weight forward and leaving it there. It went better. I still had the fat and thin shots. The only draws I hit started left of target and continued to go left. The rest were pushes, push fades, and a couple straight. My divots were in front of the ball for the most part. I had some shots with no divot (thin) and one or two fat ones. Some of the divots were deep in front of the ball though. I still had none that just felt "pure." But it was an improvement over the last trip, so I feel better

Bryan A

• 2 months later...
Ok, after trying this a few more times, I decided that it's not something I want to try without a qualified teacher to be there to help. So I will stick with traditional for now(I would be willing to give it another try with a teacher I could work with personally).

Okay, I started with a new teacher today (he is about 20 minutes from my house compared to my old teacher that was 1 hour away). What we found today was exactly what I thought was happening...I have fallen back into some old habits. My posture is just nasty and it seems to be from a weak core and weak glutes. That is leading to some really bad positions. So my homework the next 2 weeks is to start getting those areas stronger. And work a few swing exercises to help as well. I will post up some videos once I get them.

Bryan A

• Administrator

If you ever get a video camera, check out evolvr and at least three qualified instructors will be there to help you.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you ever get a video camera, check out evolvr and at least three qualified instructors will be there to help you.

I will for sure. I actually thought I would have one by now but other priorities took that money. It wasn't the swing at all...it was just me personally. I have plans to play a tour in 2011 and i just wasn't getting enough progression to get where I think I need to be for the tour. I will give it another try when everything is in place

Bryan A

Okay, I debated on whether or not I wanted to post this video because this is exactly what my swing looked like when I first started working on it. It seems that this little break that I have taken has made me default back to all my old swing habits. Keep in mind that I have only swung a club three times in about 3 months or so. But, I wanted to post this up to keep track with my updates a little better. This video is taken by my new teacher.

Face on with 7i

Down the Line with Driver

The very first thing I am doing is getting my posture back. It has gotten absolutely horrible (obviously) and I had actually worked very hard on it this year. I guess I'm starting over. I think the posture problem will take care of a lot of other issues.

The good thing about this teacher compared to my old teacher (other than the proximity to my house) is that the new teacher is also TPI certified. So, this may work out to be better anyway.

Bryan A

Your driver shouldn't go past parallel to the ground at the top of the backswing.

On your follow-through, about a foot after you make contact with the ball, your left arm should be straight, not all bent in like that.

Right arm is chicken winged on back swing.

-Cheers

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

Originally Posted by iammpspeer

Your driver shouldn't go past parallel to the ground at the top of the backswing.

On your follow-through, about a foot after you make contact with the ball, your left arm should be straight, not all bent in like that.

Right arm is chicken winged on back swing.

-Cheers

Yeah, it didn't used to and my right elbow used to have more attachment on the back swing than it does in this video as well.  I had worked on the past parallel issue, but it crept back in.  The chicken wing thing stems from me being in a bind at impact which comes from my posture issues that are also causing me to come over the top a bit.  So, other than the past parallel part (which I fix by thinking 70% swing) my posture should correct a lot of this.  Or it has in the past any way. I will post up my next video in a week or so.  I have been doing exercises to help with the posture issues.

I have also got a slide issue on my back swing instead of turning at the hips.  I had also worked on this one and gotten it taken care of but it's obviously back.  Man, I really slacked off at the end of this year and it pressed rewind on my swing fixes!!

Bryan A

• 10 months later...

I have read through your thread and fully agree with Erik. Stick to one change at a time (weight forward keeping that left knee as quiet as possible). Only move on to another change once you have that first change down (or at least, much better)....wait a second...you said you were working with the guys through Evolvr.....get those videos up here so we can take a look!!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Here is a recent down the line video and face on video.  I am not necessarily going for the S&T; swing 100%.  I feel like I have come a LONG way from the initial video.  And just to be clear, all of these changes were made in the course of a few videos submitted to Evolvr over the last couple of months. I've really only had 3 analysis done from Evolvr!   My local teacher quit right after the earlier videos were made.

Bryan A

Originally Posted by TN94z

Here is a recent down the line video and face on video.  I am not necessarily going for the S&T; swing 100%.  I feel like I have come a LONG way from the initial video.  And just to be clear, all of these changes were made in the course of a few videos submitted to Evolvr over the last couple of months. I've really only had 3 analysis done from Evolvr!   My local teacher quit right after the earlier videos were made.

Now I see what you mean about working on the same things as me! Your hands go in more, but boy does the clubhead follow your hands in too! The same thing happens to me though. Hands in, clubhead out is going to keep me busy for the next few months. I stand over the ball thinking Rickie Fowler now. Your weight forward is much better and now you have to concentrate on hands in, clubhead out for the next few months.

I am happy to make a full conversion to S&T; if it means hitting great shots one after each other. The only downside to S&T; in my book is that it is not as aesthetically pleasing on the eye as the traditional swing. But who cares? It's a more simple and more efficient way of hitting the golf ball so I'm all for it.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Yeah, the Rickie Fowler thing is my homework this week.  That's what I'm working on at the moment. It is awkward feeling right now, but I can do it.  Another thing I am working on is after impact....it's terrible too!  But I have been doing a couple of drills to fix that as well.  I can see my swing being TOTALLY different by next spring.   Yeah, I don't care what my swing looks like (as long as the positions are correct) or what it's called as long as I can repeat it every time and the results are good.  I am on my way.  The good shots with this swing are really good!

Bryan A

• Administrator

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Now I see what you mean about working on the same things as me! Your hands go in more, but boy does the clubhead follow your hands in too!

I need to think about it more, because "weight forward" (properly) might still be tops, but the hand and clubhead path from P1 to P2.5 is probably at least the second most common issue among all golfers. Virtually nobody takes the club and their hands back on a similar plane (I don't even care if you take them back on a super upright or super inward plane - I just mean take them back on the same plane). Virtually all of the PGA Tour players do, though (Rickie Fowler and Ryan Moore and Jim Furyk being the obvious exceptions).

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I am happy to make a full conversion to S&T; if it means hitting great shots one after each other. The only downside to S&T; in my book is that it is not as aesthetically pleasing on the eye as the traditional swing. But who cares? It's a more simple and more efficient way of hitting the golf ball so I'm all for it.

I think the swing can look just as good as any other. I think what makes it weird looking is the super-hard braking of the finish that some people do. Some people overdo that, imho.

Originally Posted by TN94z

Yeah, the Rickie Fowler thing is my homework this week.  That's what I'm working on at the moment. It is awkward feeling right now, but I can do it.  Another thing I am working on is after impact....it's terrible too!  But I have been doing a couple of drills to fix that as well.  I can see my swing being TOTALLY different by next spring.   Yeah, I don't care what my swing looks like (as long as the positions are correct) or what it's called as long as I can repeat it every time and the results are good.  I am on my way.  The good shots with this swing are really good!

The positions are just checkpoints. Remember, don't worry too much about the "positions" - worry about making a motion or feeling a motion that just happens to pass through those checkpoints.

I think you know that, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again.

Originally Posted by iacas

The positions are just checkpoints. Remember, don't worry too much about the "positions" - worry about making a motion or feeling a motion that just happens to pass through those checkpoints.

I think you know that, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again.

Good point.  That is usually my process.  I start slow while making sure I "pass through those checkpoints."  Then I associate that with whatever feeling it takes to get me there in my full swing. I guess I just worded that wrong.  You were correct. The changes for this week feel like I'm rotating completely opposite.  It's an awkward but good feeling.  It's kind of hard to explain.  It's getting there though.  I have been practicing this all week in my living room.  And I have also been practicing the flying wedge drill in your video and the one on here (would have to search) where you hit into the dirt.  Basically same drill.  I can see my impact bag coming in handy here as well.  I will be going to the range Saturday to put some of this to the real test with a ball in front of me.  I really want to put some work in on the after impact drill because that is something that has haunted me for years and years.  I know the takeaway is the biggest thing at the moment and most of my time will be spent there, but that chicken wing, body in a bind, looking like my wrist is going to break post impact crap I have going on HAS to go!!  Haha!!

I see SOOO many good things coming out of this Evolvr decision I made!

Bryan A

Originally Posted by iacas

I need to think about it more, because "weight forward" (properly) might still be tops, but the hand and clubhead path from P1 to P2.5 is probably at least the second most common issue among all golfers. Virtually nobody takes the club and their hands back on a similar plane (I don't even care if you take them back on a super upright or super inward plane - I just mean take them back on the same plane). Virtually all of the PGA Tour players do, though (Rickie Fowler and Ryan Moore and Jim Furyk being the obvious exceptions).

I think the swing can look just as good as any other. I think what makes it weird looking is the super-hard braking of the finish that some people do. Some people overdo that, imho.

I am also noticing that nearly every golfer takes the clubhead inside too quickly and the culprits are the hands going in and the forearms over-rotating. A good 90% of golfers start their backswing this way. A friend of mine that suffers from this told me this probably comes from faulty instruction (trying to get the toe pointing at the sky at P2). I think he is on to something. Keeping your weight forward is more important but probably loses priority as it is an easier change to make.

Speaking of which, what I dislike about the look of S&T; is the weight forward aspect as it looks suspiciously like a reverse pivot. The rest I'm fine with.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I am also noticing that nearly every golfer takes the clubhead inside too quickly and the culprits are the hands going in and the forearms over-rotating. A good 90% of golfers start their backswing this way. A friend of mine that suffers from this told me this probably comes from faulty instruction (trying to get the toe pointing at the sky at P2). I think he is on to something. Keeping your weight forward is more important but probably loses priority as it is an easier change to make.

Speaking of which, what I dislike about the look of S&T; is the weight forward aspect as it looks suspiciously like a reverse pivot. The rest I'm fine with.

Over-rotating forearms have been a big issue for me.  My hands were going out more than in until I signed up with Golf Evolution.  You can really see it in my first video above with the driver swing.  If you draw a line on my hands position at setup, I actually move out from that line instead of in. But I had quite a bit of forearm rotation involved with that swing as well.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!