IGNORED

Used Golf Balls...good deal or bad investment?

Dr_Fu_Manchu
Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've used new cheap Top-Flite's and used NXT tours and the cheap balls feels like hitting rocks compared to the used NXT's. I'll take a good used ball over a cheap new one any day.

I've bought several dozen balls from Dr. Mulligans and have been extremely happy. They only sell "Mint" condition balls. I get Pro V1's for 25 per dozen and I've compared every ball I've gotten from them with a new one out of a sleeve and I can not tell the difference. If you like playing "tour" quality balls, the used ball is the way to go.

I have bought used balls alot. NXT Tours, Pro V1s and V1x's. I havent noticed any difference from new and used yet. But that also depends on what grade you buy.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

For an 18 handicapper I'd say it's absolutely pontless. You would be better off with a brand new quality 2 piece ball. Something like Srixon AD333, or a Titleist NXT extreme both will be better for your game, new so they will definitely not be dodgy and will work out similar price to second hand pro v1s. Srixon Soft Fell is another great ball. The Srixons are so much cheaper.

Why are high handicappers so obsessed with premium balls, particularly pro v1s?-Is it because they think having the same ball as a professional will narrow the gap? It probably will just narrow the fairway and the money in your wallet in reality.

Id also suggest trying the Top Flite balls-Gamer, D2 feel etc I haven't yet, but they are so cheap if they perform similar-which they will for me a 14 handicapper-Happy Days.

Currently I am playing Srixon Soft Feel (got 3 free with a magazine!) when they go Im gonna stick to the Srixon AD333. In summer when I need more control I'll switch to NXT tours. I just wouldn't trust Lake Ball/Recycled Balls/Lost Balls etc. After you have paid the postage costs from the internet the saving isn't that amazing-unless you are going through tons of balls I don't think it's worth it. i can live with £21 from the golf store and no postage for a brand new box of NXT tours-instead of £10 and £4 postage for some balls of unknown quality-No Brainer!

I have been using used balls, but no lake balls. I walk 2-1/2 miles 6 or 7 times a week. In nice weather it is on the far side of a road from a golf course. I have 1, 2, 3 and up to 6 ball days. These are the number of balls I find laying within 4 feet of the road. I can lose these balls as easily as I lose new balls.

I never buy used balls because of the potential "sitting in water" factor - but if I see Pro-V1 X-outs for sale, I'm nabbing up 3-4 dozen.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I never buy used balls because of the potential "sitting in water" factor - but if I see Pro-V1 X-outs for sale, I'm nabbing up 3-4 dozen.

What exactly qualifies a ball to become an X-OUT? I always assumed it was a reject that didn't meet quality standards.

What exactly qualifies a ball to become an X-OUT? I always assumed it was a reject that didn't meet quality standards.

X-Outs are based on cosmetic blemishes for the most part. I'm almost a single digit handical and I have never noticed a performance difference between that and the regular ones.

I think those that have minor structural flaws are designated got into the PRACTICE lot of balls.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I know I don't make full use of the Pro V1's, but I don't see why I shouldn't use them. I love the balls, especially around and on the greens. I might try E5+ next time, but for now I've got loads of used Pro V1's bought from eBay. I played with them all last year and never experienced any difficulties. The balls are more than good enough for my play at this stage. I also hit away some, so I won't buy new ones at this point.

My game is getting better, so if I improve like I'm hoping this year I'll maybe buy new ones next year. Don't know which brand, but I've come to rest with the fact that this is an expensive sport, so I'll treat myself to good balls. The most important for my part is the feel around and on the green. I only play one type of ball to get consistent. Currently that's used Pro V1's.

This is a topic I don't understand why so many people care about. Buying a $500 driver is OK, but god forbid a high handicapper buy expensive balls!

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good Point!!!

In the Bag
Driver: Taylormade R7 limited
Fairway woods: X fairway 3 wood
Hybrids: G15 20 degree
Irons: G10 4-PW & SW

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Ball: NXT tour

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight-Ben Hogan

This is a topic I don't understand why so many people care about. Buying a $500 driver is OK, but god forbid a high handicapper buy expensive balls!

$500 driver? Fess up people. Who has paid $500 for a driver?

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

since i work at a golf course i havent bought balls in a longgg time... ive never had problems with the balls ive found on the course... i literally have 1000's of balls... the crap ones i bring to the range as a way of 'giving back' the decent low end balls i sell to a local shop for like 10 to 15 cents a pop... the high end balls i play...
during tourny's at my course they hand out sleeves and sleeves of brand new balls... usually pro v1x's... guys will shank them literally a few feet away tee up another and leave the shanked one behind... so i have plenty of once hit balls... only the discolored weathered water balls ive found tend to fly funny... or thats what i tell myself after a bad shot... hahaha
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I always loved "fishing" for balls as a kid. Golf balls that were not as good but free was a good option. I believe that practice is as extinct as the persimmon wood these days though.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

The day I discovered lostgolfballs.com was a very happy day for me. They are reliable quality, and I have honestly never even noticed a performance difference between new balls (I always buy AAAA or AAAAA quality). ProV1x's or Tour ix's for about $1.50 each!

I had a hard time justifying the price of premium balls before I tried out used balls, and I have never looked back!
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I never looked back until I clicked on the link to that Golf Digest article. Shit!

On the lostgolfballs.com website it says, "We retrieve golf balls from the lakes and water hazards of over 2000 resorts, private facilities and top daily fee courses in 32 states." I might be switching back to buying new.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Hehe, you say you don't notice any difference, but when you find out they are lake balls you don't want to use them anymore?

What exactly can happen to a golf ball after some time in the water by the way? I suppose they are pretty water proof, is it the material that suck water into the core?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got loads of balls from lostgolfballs, started of with some maxfli black max and then more recently ordered like 50 Prov V1s. I have never had any issue with any of these balls and do play new balls intermittently. The prov1s I have like just like the brand new ones I have in the box, it's very difficult to tell them apart and I don't see any difference in performance. I feel like I'm getting a great deal on these balls.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

What exactly can happen to a golf ball after some time in the water by the way? I suppose they are pretty water proof, is it the material that suck water into the core?

Here's the same link that was made earlier in the thread.

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=9079

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!