IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tiger probably as a golfer but as a person and a role model he is so low its not worth mentioning, if i took my children to watch golf i would avoid Tiger always

Speedline 10 with Harrison Saga
X Tour fairways 3 & 5 Fujikura tour platform 26.3
X Forged 3-PW Project X 6.0 rifles
X Forged 56-14 and 60-10 wedges
2 ball blade Tour is balls

I am too young to have really seen Jack play, but he is obviously a legend. Regardless of his off the course behavior, I hope Tiger bounces back here soon and wins some tournaments..... good for the game.

Tiger has the technology... But his swing is also "mechanic" when he is on his game. But really the best part is his short game.

We'll never know!

Tiger Wood can swing more distance and consistent

Odd, but I don't remember Jack missing fairways by such huge margins and so often as Tiger does. And more distance? Jack got plenty. Let's see what Tiger could do with a persimmon driver and those McGregor golf balls Jack hit, compared to what he does with his Sasquatch and Nike Ones. Heck, even Jack gets more distance now with modern equipment.

Odd, but I don't remember Jack missing fairways by such huge margins and so often as Tiger does. And more distance? Jack got plenty. Let's see what Tiger could do with a persimmon driver and those McGregor golf balls Jack hit, compared to what he does with his Sasquatch and Nike Ones. Heck, even Jack gets more distance now with modern equipment.

Ye speaketh the truth.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take a mid-1960s Jack Nicklaus and add a case of 2010 tour balls and you'd see plenty of 300+ drives come off that MacGregor persimmon driver. Trust me on that one.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Take a mid-1960s Jack Nicklaus and add a case of 2010 tour balls and you'd see plenty of 300+ drives come off that MacGregor persimmon driver. Trust me on that one.

And those drives would sound

awesome !

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I think that Phil's inability to close the deal and take over the number one spot is indicative of the lack of competitiveness Tiger has faced. Palmer, Player, Watson or Trevino would simply not have needed more than four or five chances to take a faltering Nicklaus down.

I can't remember where I heard this but my favorite story was about a player during the British Open when Nicklaus was just coming onto the scene. Apparently Jack was on the range just hammering the snot out of his driver. He was hitting it so far that one of the guys just up and quit basically saying "what's the point"?

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Tiger is the better athlete and more skilled golfer in my opinion, but Nicklaus was as dominant on tour as Tiger in his day.

From what I've heard, Tiger is not that great of an athlete in general, but a superbly trained golfer. Jack

was an all-around athlete in high school, and played a mean game of tennis as an adult. I remember when Jack first started playing Augusta, and he was hitting driver and a wedge into the 420-yard par 4s. It was an outrage. No one was supposed to hit the ball that far. I also remember Gary Player saying that some golfers could hit a 2-iron farther than Nicklaus could, and others could hit it higher, but on one could hit it that far and that high. "Unbelievable!" was the summation. I know about high and far. I saw Nicklaus unload on the 72nd tee of a tournament in San Diego in 1973. Both the height and the distance on that one shot were way beyond anything I had seen from anyone else that day. Speechless.