IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Better fields then the average pga events. To me there kinda mini majors I'm sure you disagree but those wins are better than the John Deere Classic.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Jakester23

Better fields then the average pga events.

Sure, they have stronger fields than current events, but what about in Jack's day?

You also seem to have not noticed that Jack won the Players 3 times to Tiger's 2, and that the Players didn't exist for the first half of Jack's career.

Tyler Martin

I noticed that I think they count as more for him as well I'm saying those events almost should be in a different category as a normal pga event. Maybe call them minors or something. 9iron I don't care how tiger sees it I see it as there is more than majors. Winning % tour wins player of the year awards ect all matter to me.

I noticed that I think they count as more for him as well I'm saying those events almost should be in a different category as a normal pga event. Maybe call them minors or something. 9iron I don't care how tiger sees it I see it as there is more than majors. Winning % tour wins player of the year awards ect all matter to me.

That's fine. Everyone is free to assign whatever value they wish to the game's many accomplishments. Sam Snead and Gary Player are both said to have won as many as 125 to 150 times around the world. Player's wins coming abroad while some of Snead's came in events not sanctioned by the tour. These accomplishments rarely get talked about.

Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen won a very high percentage of the majors they played in. There is something to be said for all of them.

Maybe you have seen the old Bobby Jones film series on golf? I saw lone episode where he buried 12 balls in a bunker to their equator, and then hit all 12 of them out of that 8 foot high bunker some 30 feet onto a green where they all rolled out another 15 feet or so to within 3 feet of the flag. No trick splicing of the film. 12 for 12. I know today's golfers have skills, but so did those players from days gone by.

I totally agree and I think if tiger retired now jack would be the best ever but I think tiger has 7-10 good years left and possibly another 3-8 where he still csn get a win here and there. I think he will get to 19 without a doubt so then this won't even be a debate.

Tiger is the one who set the bar at Major championships, so let's take a look.

Wins: Jack 18 Tiger 14

2nd: Jack 19 Tiger 6

3rd: Jack 9 Tiger 4

Top 5: Jack 56 Tiger 31

Top 10: Jack 73 Tiger 38

Tiger is closest in wins, but he hasn't won one since 2008. In the other categories of finishes, Tiger will never catch Jack.

Face it, it is not even close.

Bill M

He set major wins as the bar not 2nds. Sorry but the # of 2nds jack has is a stupid reason why he's better. Why does he have only 73 tour wins in 586 starts then? I think the tour wins counts almost as much as majors. Especially since he's going to destroy the all time record.

Quote:

Quote:

Tiger is the one who set the bar at Major championships, so let's take a look.

Wins: Jack 18 Tiger 14

2nd: Jack 19 Tiger 6

3rd: Jack 9 Tiger 4

Top 5: Jack 56 Tiger 31

Top 10: Jack 73 Tiger 38

Tiger is closest in wins, but he hasn't won one since 2008. In the other categories of finishes, Tiger will never catch Jack.

Face it, it is not even close.

Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

He set major wins as the bar not 2nds. Sorry but the # of 2nds jack has is a stupid reason why he's better. Why does he have only 73 tour wins in 586 starts then? I think the tour wins counts almost as much as majors . Especially since he's going to destroy the all time record.

Tiger doesn't think so.

This is a stupid argument. Jack, hands down. Look at the numbers. I also wonder how many people voting in this poll even saw Jack play back in the day.

Bill M

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Majors aren't everything in comparing these two, but they count for something. Here's the record so far.

Woods has now played in 70 major championships (through 2013 P.G.A.). Here is his record compared to Nicklaus’s first 70:

Jack:

1st - 14

2nd - 14

3rd - 8

4-10 - 14

Tiger:

1st - 14

2nd - 6

3rd - 4

4-10 - 14

Jack #71 - 2 (1977 Open Championship)          Woods #71 - ? (2014 Masters)

It is hard to ignore that Nicklaus was in contention to come in 2nd or 3rd 22 times vs. 10 in the 70 major championship starts.

The jury is still out but, as each year goes by it is just that much harder for Tiger.

If all you want to look at is first place then Tiger is close but he still hasn't made it. If you want to look at the totality of the record as illustrated here, Tiger has a ways to go.

IN MY BAG:

DRIVER: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus 65G S shaft
3 WOOD: TaylorMade SIM2 Titanium 3-wood 15* Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 75 S shaft
UTILITY: TaylorMade Stealth 19* 3 Hybrid Aerotech Steelfiber i95 S shaft
IRONS: TaylorMade P760 3-PW;/TTDyn Gold 120 S-300
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 54* TTDyn Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 58* TTDyn Gold X100 8i shaft
PUTTER: PING BeNi Scottsdale Anser or Ping BeNi Anser 4 34.5"
BALL: Bridgestone Tour B RXS

If u would read what I wrote I said I don't care what tiger thinks. Besides jack played in 154 career majors and tiger has played in how many 70? I'd hope he'd have more top 5 & 10 finishes.

He set major wins as the bar not 2nds. Sorry but the # of 2nds jack has is a stupid reason why he's better. Why does he have only 73 tour wins in 586 starts then? I think the tour wins counts almost as much as majors. Especially since he's going to destroy the all time record.

Sam Snead beat professional fields of golfers almost 130 times, even if the tour didn't sanction all those events. imho Tiger will never reach that number.

Jack's number of 2nd and 3rds matters to me. Hey, if the other guy can use that logic then so can I.

If u would read what I wrote I said I don't care what tiger thinks. Besides jack played in 154 career majors and tiger has played in how many 70? I'd hope he'd have more top 5 & 10 finishes.

They both have the same number of wins over their first 70 majors played, but Jack was in contention to win about twice as often as Tiger. Jack was consistently the better player in majors when compared to bTiger.

And if you want to go by percentages, Bobby Jones is better than either of them.

I was never saying tiger has had a better record in majors. I said I think overall tiger is close now with a lot more time to add to what he already has done. IMO he's already passed Jack but I'd understand if anyone thinks Jack is the better.

How deep do you think the fields were in jacks era compared to the last 15 years?

Jack had to compete against the likes of Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Tom Wtson, Lee Trevino, Billy Casper and Raymond Floyd in their primes. Who is Tiger competing against? Phil Mickelson?

Please.

Bill M