IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Never got to see Jack in his prime so my vote goes for Tiger

No disrespect, but I'm always puzzled by votes going to the most recent, on the basis that greats from a previous age weren't on TV, or whatever.

If it was applied to boxing, for example, would whoever happens to be one of the 'alphabet soup' current world champions be rated higher than Muhammad Ali or Joe Louis? Would the leading home-run scorer be rated higher than Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron? The current leading QB over Dan Marino/John Elway? Would Jonny Wilkinson be rated higher than Barry John, or Steve Gerrard higher than Paul Gascoine?? Marcus Trescothick over Denis Compton? (Those last three were not for the Americans!) I never saw Bobby Jones - he was effectively crippled before I was born. But I've read his record and, through the wonders of the Internet, I've seen his swing used in anger and I can see he was brilliant, a standard-setter in his time as Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Ballesteros and Woods have been in theirs (and continue to be, in the last case). By comparison with finding out about Jones, seeing Jack in action is easy - videos, films and books are in plentiful supply. OK, the current star will be at the front of people's minds and there is a valid argument that Tiger is the greatest (at the moment, I happen to disagree) but if you're looking at 'all-time greats', and comparing across generations, I really think one should look at what the contenders achieved. Otherwise 'all-time best' merely becomes 'best of the current generation', which will be overtaken by the next 'best of generation' and the one after that, and loses validity. Just my two penn'orth. For what it's worth, I think there's barely a cigarette paper between them but my top three currently are: Jack Nicklaus Bobby Jones Tiger Woods

Tiger is a witch.... when he's stinking up the joint (Masters) he is still better than 99% of the field.

Driver: HiBore XLS
Hybrid: HiBore XLS 3i 22*
Irons: FP (v.07)
Wedges: CG14 Black Pearl 48* 52*
Putter: G5iBall: HX Hot BiteBest Score: 84 @ Arizona National - Tucson

Very difficult to say which is better.

What does equipment have to do with anything. He was playing with the same stuff as his competitors. It's all reletive.

I think the question is, was Jack more dominant, or has Tiger been more dominant. I'd be curious to see the hard numbers. Tourney's won, cuts made/missed, top 10's, 5's, 2nd's, fairways and greens, et all. Yes Tiger has 13 majors to Jack's 18 etc.. but that is just the tip of the iceberg. Just glad we have Tiger to watch, he is a legend in the making and hopefully has another good 10-15 years of great golf left.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

• Administrator
I wonder if Jack had the same technology available to him that Tiger does now, How many more tournament he would have won?!

Probably less. His competitors would have had the same advantage, and "better technology" benefits the worse ballstrikers more than the better ones.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the time being...Jack is the greatest!

It is difficult to watch Tiger dominate the sport especially when I grew up watching Jack battle Arnie and the others. There seemed to be a lot better competition in those days and a lot more personality amongst the players.

His 1986 Masters win was awesome!

AL

Well its hard for me to say being so young and new to the sport. I had to vote for tiger based on what I know. However, what really drives me toward tiger is his work ethic, dedication, and the standard he holds himself to. These are all things that I would like to take from his game.