IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

The aspect of Tiger that I find amazing is how he has turned so many non-golfers into huge golf fans. Besides the marketing jewel, he has made the challenging game of golf watched by people that have never picked up a club. Jack may have been able to accomplish the same thing if he were hitting his prime now. I don't really care who is "best," I am grateful for what Tiger has brought to the game.

That's a very difficult question to answer:

Is Tiger a better player than Jack? I can't answer that. If Tiger were to play in Jack's era I doubt he would play as well. If Jack were to be in his prime right now I suspect his stats would be a whole lot better just on the precision of the equipment available. The improvement in equipment allows for more consistent results. Don't believe me - check your day-to-day consistency with niblick or mashie.

Will Tiger surpass Jack's records? If he's continues to play it's almost a certainty, barring any major injuries.

Will he win a Master's as late in his career? Not likely, but it could happen.

Who will have the greater impact on the game of golf? Probably, Tiger. Even if a person knows nothing about golf they've probably heard the name, Tiger Woods.

Can say it in one word...JACK

Nothing else needs to be said

In the Sasquatch Tour bag:

3 Wood: 906f2, 13*, 906f2, 15*,
Hybrid : 19*Hybrid : CFT 21*, 24*Irons: APEX Edge iron 5-E, Apex 4 ShaftWedges : SV Tour 56*Putter: EFT BladeBall: Pro V1

There can be no doubt that Tiger has the inside track of becoming the greatest player of all time. Every part of his game is on a higher level in my opinion.

Just not true. Nicklaus was definitely a better driver of the golf ball, that's not even up for debate.

Long to mid irons might be about even, but in his time no one hit high long iron shots like Jack because the equipment was prohibitive. Tiger is better from 100 yards in, but Nicklaus was arguably the better clutch putter.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

after a lot of thought, i ultimately went with jack. i agree with what the previous person said - from 100 yards in, tiger is likely the better player, but for overall game, jack had it in my opinion.

I would go for Tiger, since it was his efforts that I watched on television and YouTube that finally motivated me to try out golf. Arnold Palmer was also an influence, since I remember watching and reading about him when I was a kid.

In the future I plan to study more about Jack Nicklaus to understand better his game strategy.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

I had to go with Jack on this 1. I think technology has helped all golfers today and that helps all current players. I cant believe people actually hit the ball long and straight during Jacks time of dominance

This is a tough one, but Jack is my pick also. I will never forget the final round of the 86 Masters. Jack's ability to shape his shots and manage the golf course was nothing short of phenomenal. I love Tiger and acknowledge that he has or will surpass all golfing records, but Jack's is the face that most from my generation back(1980's) put to golf. Nicklaus had the ability to perform with every club in the bag, not just driver, wedge, and putter. Tiger has proven that he can evolve and adapt to the course, but the rough still gets him more often than not. His recovery shots are sometimes amazing, but if he put the ball in play, those shots would not be necessary.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

I like Jack the best but have to admit that Tiger is probably going to be the greatest ever no doubt .

Whats in my bag
FT5 Driver
XFairway 3 Wood
X Fairway 5 Wood
X Hybrids 3 and 4X 18 Irons 5 to PW Vokey Wedges 52 and 56 degree Anser II Putter that I love E6

Tiger has proven that he can evolve and adapt to the course, but the rough still gets him more often than not. His recovery shots are sometimes amazing, but if he put the ball in play, those shots would not be necessary.

Think the above statement is so wrong! While I am sure Tiger wants to hit more fairways he still usually leads in GIR so where ever the ball is ending up after the tee shot does not seem to affect him very much. Jack is the greatest champion of all time but in my opinion will be passed by Tiger. I just feel lucky enough that I am old enough to catch the tail end of Jack's career and all of Tiger's!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Tiger Woods is the best golfer to ever play the game. When he is at his best he plays at a level not even Jack could play at it.

What makes Tiger so special is how well he scores when he is not at his best. It is amazing how often he up and down when he is struggling. He also has a way of holding on until he can get to a stretch of holes that he can attack.

That being said, Jack Nicklaus career records are still goals not yet achieved by Tiger. Until Woods matches or surpasses those marks, Nicklaus remains with the greatest career.

What is special about Woods is we get to watch him chase those records for all these years.

Tiger is a better golfer imo , but I mean without Jack we would not have a lot of the masterpiece golf courses I think hes a legend in that sense. Maybe when Tiger retires He will bring us some amazing courses also

DRIVER: R7 460 Draw - 10.5* R Flex 55g
WOODS Taylormade R11 15* , Big Bertha 4w
HYBRID Taylormade Burner Rescue 19*, Taylormade R11 5 Hybrid
IRONS Mizuno Mx-200 4-GW WEDGES CG14 56* PUTTER Sabertooth 34"