IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

TIGER...hands down in my opinion.

I think that the competition out there is MUCH, MUCH tighter than it ever has been, and technological advances narrow the gaps between skill levels. Geoff Ogilvy recently remarked that Tiger is going to keep winning because he's simply better than everyone else. Well, he is talented but he also works hard, mentally prepares for each course and gives back to the community on top of everything else. Jack and Tiger both have legendary mental toughness, but I think that Tiger is beating a much tougher field.

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

In my mind, the answer is quite easy. It's the one who holds the records at this time.

Sure, one day Tiger may break Jacks records, but on this day, Jack is still the greatest.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

Jack, until Tiger beats his records.

There are a few senarios that I would first ask. Put them in the same time with the same technology and the same age and who would be better? I am leaning towards Jack Is the competition tougher than when Jack was in his prime? I have no idea, anyone? I've read many say that TW is in an athelete and better shape but the courses are MUCH longer than they used to be in Jacks prime and who says Jack wasn't in shape or as good a shape. I think this is a non-factor I wasn't around when Jack was in his prime so I think it is very difficult to say.

In My Bag:

Driver: Nike SQ tour 10.5° (Aldila NV 65S)
FW Woods: 4+ Cobra SZ, Stiff, 5 wood: Orlimar HipSteel 16°, Callaway X 21°, Stiff
Irons: Titleist DCI 822OS Nppon NS Pro950Wedges: Cleveland 900 54°/CG 10 60°Putter: Rife 2 bar offset blade putterBall: Callaway HX Tour primary but...

There are a few senarios that I would first ask.

I hate comparing athletes that spanned two different generations because of the technology, etc. arguement. However, I do believe Tiger wins hands down. Relative to his competition, he is the best just as Jack was. The kicker for me is that Tiger will have won more tournaments by the time all is said and done.

I wasn't alive at jack's prime so I go with tiger being the greatest golfer, also tiger can rip it further, has a better short game, and he's a built athlete, what else is their to say?

Tiger can rip it further partly because of technological advancements in golf equipment. While they are both great it would be interesting if they existed in the same time to see what would come.

I think even Jack has commented Tiger has the potential to be the greatest of all time....once he accomplishes more than Jack I think we will all tip our hats...including Jack
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

i wasnt old enough to see jack play in actual tournaments but i do imagine he was a great player. The game has changed so much so its a little hard to compare and the fact that i havnt seen one play. Tiger is an amazing player, his ability to not fold under pressure in the final holes just gets me. Thats what i love about him.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

First off your trying to compare 2 players from different era's, which is near impossible to do. Sometimes I watch Tiger play average golf at best but still be in the lead because all of a sudden the rest of the field can't find the fairway or green. For this reason I know that Jack had to win against much stronger competition. When you look at Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson, Jack had to beat all those guy's and had a lot of 2nd place finishes because they were great players that didn't lay down when the going got tough! One reason why those guy's didn't lay down was because the money payout was a lot different back then. If you didn't consistantly finish in the top 10 -20 you weren't living too good. Now if you consistantly finish in the top 50 your living a good life. Bottom line is players back in Jack's time played to win because if you played too conservative, you may not eat that week. And if you still don't believe, then look at the numbers, they don't lie. Look at the careers of Palmer, Player, Watson and Trevino against Els, Goosen, Mickelson, and Vejay,,,it's laughable to think Jack didn't have tougher competition!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Based on records alone, right now Jack is the best of all time. Once Tiger's career is over we will all look back and agree that he is the best of all time.

Bobby Jones' career was only about 7 years long and he retired from competitive golf at age 28, having never turned pro. Had he turned pro and played for another 10 years, I think he would have had a better record than even Nicklaus. His humility, grace and fluid golf swing continue to be my inspiration to this day...

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I don't think Jack had tougher competition. I think that's an old-timer speaking about "the way things used to be" a little bit.

I agree and he may only be a young, old timer?

In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

Tiger is only 20 somethin or so and they are comparing stats to him and jack. Hes young and jack is done, once Tiger gets older he will surpass those records.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

• Administrator
Tiger is only 20 somethin or so and they are comparing stats to him and jack. Hes young and jack is done, once Tiger gets older he will surpass those records.

Tiger is 31.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would have to go with Tiger. Jack is an excellent golfer. But I'm only 21 and Tiger is a more recent icon in the golf world. And the fact that he is the greatest golf to ever walk the Earth.

Those who say that need to think about what that means. Is that because Jack was playing with other "greats"? Because it may be that Tiger is dominating so much that other players don't even get the chance to make the "great" status

In 1960 Arnold Palmer was the "Tiger Woods" of that day! Then along comes this hefty kid from Ohio and steals his glory. Anyone who knows golf history knows that Palmer hated Jack, and was relentless at wanting to beat him. Palmer was the man back then with the Tiger like galleries, Jack was the fat kid that Palmer disrespected and jeered him every chance he got. Kind of funny how Palmer likes to be buddies with Tiger. There's no doubt he wants Tiger to surpass his old enemy Jack!

Now lets look at what the world of golf looked like when Tiger turned pro in 1997. The most dominant players at that time were all on thier way out, Payne Stewart, Fred Couples, Greg Norman, and Nick Faldo. all four of those guy's had wonderful careers, from the 1980's into the mid 1990's but by 1997 were all at the end of thier careers. That's why I don't view Tiger's 1997 Masters win as anything other than a big coming out party. Nike, Woods Sr, and Tiger himself had to be licking thier chops(CHA-CHING) because there was nobody, and I mean nobody dominating the world of golf at that time! You had Els who had a nice career going with a couple majors, nobody knew of Goosen, and Phil couldn't win a major to save his life, VJ was starting to do well. You turn the clock back to 1960 and give Jack that kind of start and he would have had 20 majors by 1970. But this is why it is near impossible to compare era's. There are so many things that were different, not just the equipment, but the values and money from each era effect how things were done. I know there's a lot of younger Tiger followers here that maybe didn't get to see some of Jack's great shots or think that Tiger would hit the ball 50 yards past Jack if both played in thier primes together(That would be a completely incorrect thought)! It's all subjective, I grew up watching Jack, and to me Tiger is the second best player I've ever seen! Some of the theories on here are kind of funny though, they sound like this: "Well, Tiger likes Snickers Bars, and I like Snickers Bars, so I'd have to go with Tiger as best ever",,,just a little jest,,LOL!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)