IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tiger by far.

It's obviously hard to compare the different eras because of the differences in equipment, nutrition, sport conditioning, rehabilitation, the number of competitors, the quality of the competition, the courses etc etc etc...but irrespective of that, Tiger is probably the better athlete and probably the better golfer.

I compare questions like this to 'who is the faster sprinter, Carl Lewis or Usain Bolt?' (being Canadian, I was going to use Ben Johnson in my question but it probably would have got me alot of abuse ) Carl Lewis' best was probably 9.86s in the 100m, while Usain Bolt's is likely 9.69s. Again, irrespective of eras, Bolt is faster.

In my bag..

Driver: Mighty Big T3, 8°, Grafalloy Prolite 35
Fairway Wood: PT, 13°
Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

I grew up watching Jack when I wasn't interested in golf that much.

I watched Tiger when I started getting into golf (or maybe Tiger started getting me into golf).

Tiger displays the mental tenacity and toughness that is so unique (thanks, in part, to marketing). I'd have to say Tiger appeals to a broader crowd and does show the true grit.

jack is great though.

I'm only born in '87 so obviously it is a bit hard for me to compare the two; but comparing what I've seen of the two of them, I'm going to go with Tiger.

I go with Tiger because of his mental attitude, as well as his commitment to change his swing during his career just to be even better.

Got to jump on board with Tiger... Though I'm a newcomer, so that's the one I know at least a small something about.

It's a bit moot, though. I'm a lefty fanboy.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

Tiger has my vote he just always seems to hit the right shot when it is needed. He still has alot of years ahead of him to.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.

Anyone give Hunter Mahan a thought? He has really got his loose ends tied this year.
Driver: Walter Hagen T3 Square
3 wood: Walter Hagen T3
Hybrids: Walter Hagen T3
Irons: Walter Hagen T3
Putter: Walter Hagen MalletChipper: EZ RollShoes: GreenJoyGlove: ReactBall: E5+ or HX Hot Bite16 years old

Anyone give Hunter Mahan a thought? He has really got his loose ends tied this year.

Not in a discussion about the all-time greatest, no!

Tiger is great but I voted for Jack. It's often said when comparing todays athletes with those of the past that todays athletes are in better shape/condition, which is true. However, I believe what makes any athlete great is that they did whatever it took for them to be great in their era. Hence if Jack was a young man today he would do what it takes, including being in better shape, to be great in today's era.

Allan Robertson

When he died in 1859 they had to hold a golf tournament the next year to see who would replace him as the "champion golfer." That tournament is known today as The Open Championship.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I am old enough to have followed both of these players in tournaments. I say the answer would become clear if we had Tiger play his rounds with a 43" Persimmon Driver with a steel shaft that weighed 150 grams and a Balata ball. Personally, I have never heard anything like the sound of Jack hitting a Balata ball 300 yds. (As Jack himself has said, the biggest advantage of today's play - tee to green- is the golf ball.)

The courses that Jack played on were not the manicured pieces of perfection that the tour gets to play on, today, either. They were lucky if the greens were as good as today's fairways! In his hayday, if you couldn't drive it in the fairway, you couldn't consistently win.

So every opinion is very hypothetical because of the changes. What I will say is that Jack respected the game more. You never heard him swear, or slam a club - he'd turn bright-pink after a bad shot and just groan "Ooooh, Jack!" You'd never have seen him let the gallery roll a boulder "loose impediment" out of his line, either. Jack played the game as it was meant to be played... only better than anyone else.

That is what makes me say that Jack was the greatest. That does not mean that I think of Tiger as any less of a phenomenon than what he is, however.

Driver- Tommy Armour AyrTime - High Launch
Woods- Tommy Armour 845 Metal Persimmon 3.5.7
Irons- Tommy Armour Silver Scot MB Blades 3-PW
SW - Tommy Armour R91 Chrome 56*
Putter - Tommy Armour EFT Milled Series Model 1